Cloning MBR boot ssd to GPT boot ssd

Niami
Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,
15 minutes ago, Niami said:

But would there be a point of that instead of just initialising the new ssd as GPT and cloning?

To be clear, when you clone the original SSD to the new SSD, the cloning process will overwrite the formatting. The new drive will become MBR (that is unless you use some more advanced cloning techniques which would likely just add unnecessary complexity).

@Kisai said the right thing - just clone the drive as is, and then convert to GPT if you need to afterwards.

If I clone my current MBR ssd to a new GPT ssd will I have to reinstall windows?

2 minutes ago, Niami said:

If I clone my current MBR ssd to a new GPT ssd will I have to reinstall windows?

Just clone the drive as mbr, and then convert it to GPT.

1 minute ago, Kisai said:

Just clone the drive as mbr, and then convert it to GPT.

But would there be a point of that instead of just initialising the new ssd as GPT and cloning?

15 minutes ago, Niami said:

To be clear, when you clone the original SSD to the new SSD, the cloning process will overwrite the formatting. The new drive will become MBR (that is unless you use some more advanced cloning techniques which would likely just add unnecessary complexity).

@Kisai said the right thing - just clone the drive as is, and then convert to GPT if you need to afterwards.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Alright, thanks!