Amps for Sen 58Xs

C0stanza

Hey all. I've been really enjoying my 58Xs ever since I got them. I've been using my Scarlett 2i2 as a DAC and that has worked pretty well so far. One thing I was wondering is if this pair of headphones would benefit from an Amp. If so, which amps do you guys prefer (and is there any particular reason you do)? I'd likely only consider the cheaper end of the market. Things like the Magni, Atom, and I believe someone here recommended I check out a Fiio k5 so that as well. I've also heard that connecting a 2i2 to an amp is a little janky so I wouldn't be opposed to a dedicated DAC so long as it isn't crazy expensive.

45 minutes ago, endyc said:

Hey all. I've been really enjoying my 58Xs ever since I got them. I've been using my Scarlett 2i2 as a DAC and that has worked pretty well so far. One thing I was wondering is if this pair of headphones would benefit from an Amp. If so, which amps do you guys prefer (and is there any particular reason you do)? I'd likely only consider the cheaper end of the market. Things like the Magni, Atom, and I believe someone here recommended I check out a Fiio k5 so that as well. I've also heard that connecting a 2i2 to an amp is a little janky so I wouldn't be opposed to a dedicated DAC so long as it isn't crazy expensive.

I doubt that the 58X's will benefit from a headphone amp instead of the scarlett 2i2. Maybe if you go up at the high priceranges were you find these premium tube amps and shit that will cost you a ton of money.

Maybe a slight increase in sound quality depending on how good the DAC is implemented. The scarlett will most likely work fine unless there is something wrong with it. And if you were to get an amp, I wouldn't amp the scarlett. If the scarlett is having a slight interference or something for some reason it will sound really bad. But I do recommend you getting something with a DAC/amp combo. Like the Fiio k5 or the ifi zen dac.

Also mind I asking what you are doing with audio? Do you play games and listen to music or just listen to music? Or do you even create music.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

6 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

I doubt that the 58X's will benefit from a headphone amp instead of the scarlett 2i2. Maybe if you go up at the high priceranges were you find these premium tube amps and shit that will cost you a ton of money.

Maybe a slight increase in sound quality depending on how good the DAC is implemented. The scarlett will most likely work fine unless there is something wrong with it. And if you were to get an amp, I wouldn't amp the scarlett. If the scarlett is having a slight interference or something for some reason it will sound really bad. But I do recommend you getting something with a DAC/amp combo. Like the Fiio k5 or the ifi zen dac.

Also mind I asking what you are doing with audio? Do you play games and listen to music or just listen to music? Or do you even create music.

Don't mind at all, thanks for responding! I both play games and listen to music but I care about the music quite a bit more. I have a modmic hooked up to my 598cs so I usually use those while gaming.

I actually am trying to create music of my own (hence the 2i2) though I wouldn't put it down as a skill of mine just yet. I've been learning to make games and would like to be able to create the soundtracks myself.

11 minutes ago, endyc said:

Don't mind at all, thanks for responding! I both play games and listen to music but I care about the music quite a bit more. I have a modmic hooked up to my 598cs so I usually use those while gaming.

I actually am trying to create music of my own (hence the 2i2) though I wouldn't put it down as a skill of mine just yet. I've been learning to make games and would like to be able to create the soundtracks myself.

Thanks for the info.

One amp/DAC combo I like to recommend people that game and listen to music. Is the Sound Blaster X3 or the G6. It offers pretty much everything you want and need for gaming and listening to music. The software got EQ and other stuff that will make it easier for you to change the sound how you want it.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

3 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

Thanks for the info.

One amp/DAC combo I like to recommend people that game and listen to music. Is the Sound Blaster X3 or the G6. It offers pretty much everything you want and need for gaming and listening to music. The software got EQ and other stuff that will make it easier for you to change the sound how you want it.

Seems to be priced pretty well compared to the fiio and ifi too! Do you mind answering/confirming some likely basic questions? When I look at amps (or amp/dacs) I compare them by raw feature set (like the X3s EQ), ability of the amp to drive higher impedance headphones, amount of distortion introduced (though I forget the exact measurement of this), and build quality I guess. Is this the correct way to go about it?

I'm gonna be comparing the dac/amps you suggested but want to make sure I actually know how to

6 minutes ago, endyc said:

Seems to be priced pretty well compared to the fiio and ifi too! Do you mind answering/confirming some likely basic questions? When I look at amps (or amp/dacs) I compare them by raw feature set (like the X3s EQ), ability of the amp to drive higher impedance headphones, amount of distortion introduced (though I forget the exact measurement of this), and build quality I guess. Is this the correct way to go about it?

I'm gonna be comparing the dac/amps you suggested but want to make sure I actually know how to

Yes. That is pretty much the way you should look it at. Build quality and performance are the two key things you want.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

3 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

Yes. That is pretty much the way you should look it at. Build quality and performance are the two key things you want.

Is "Performance" simply ability to drive higher impedance headphones (likely a nonissue for the 58Xs) and lack of distortion? I presume amps that aren't tube amps (which I presume warm up the sound if my experience with guitars translates) don't color the sound for the most part unless you use something like the X3s EQ.

8 minutes ago, endyc said:

Is "Performance" simply ability to drive higher impedance headphones (likely a nonissue for the 58Xs) and lack of distortion? I presume amps that aren't tube amps (which I presume warm up the sound if my experience with guitars translates) don't color the sound for the most part unless you use something like the X3s EQ.

Yes. EQ isn't a solution to warm things up. You basically want EQ to change up the headphones sound signature. You can download other software for EQ as well. You aren't limited there.

Edit: When talking about tube amps. I meant headphone tube amps. Most of the good ones are of course pretty expensive if you want build quality but there are budget ones out there aswell.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

24 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

Yes. EQ isn't a solution to warm things up. You basically want EQ to change up the headphones sound signature. You can download other software for EQ as well. You aren't limited there.

Edit: When talking about tube amps. I meant headphone tube amps. Most of the good ones are of course pretty expensive if you want build quality but there are budget ones out there aswell.

Alright, I'll compare the ifi, k5, and X3 and probably pick up one of them. Thanks for the help!

2 hours ago, endyc said:

It doesn't benefit that much with more power rule of thumb with amps is , does it get loud enough with no noticable distortions?  If yes you don't need it. Especially for something as easy to drive as a 58x