Worth upgrading or not yet (?)

Cookiey

Hello, since the reveal of the new GPU ( 3070 ) i have decided to change my 1660 to an 3070 when it comes out.

But i also have an aged (?) CPU and motherboard. The current setup i have is an i7-7700K and a ASUS ASUS ROG Strix Z270F. The CPU is cooled by a Corsair Hydro Series H110i which is nice.

But i have been looking at upgrades also, especialy the CPU, but i seems like the 1151 socket is dead now and there is a new boy in town. The LGA-1200 socket, I have not been paying attention that there was a new socket and apperently this is the new standard (?)

The thing is, is it worth for me to just upgrade the CPU to an i5-9600K or i7-9700k ? Or should I just wait for black friday and go for this setup insted ?

ASUS ROG Strix B460-F

Intel i5-10600K

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Cooler ( Dont know if i can use the water cooled that i have now on it ? )

The GPU is going to be replaced anyway and also some more RAM ( 16gb more )

But is it worth going for the upgrade of an new Motherboard and CPU aswell or just hang on the one I have for an year or so more ?

First check how the 3070 performs and how the 7700k holds up with a 3070, at higher resolutions the 7700k shouldn't struggle that bad with a 3070 in games especially with an overclock, and if you get a 9600k/9700k, you will need a new board. as z270 does not support coffee lake. 

also as for the comet lake pair, don't bother with B and H series boards. 

wait for ampere to come out first and check how the 7700k holds up with a 3070 first.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Keep the 7700k and game on with it. It's still a good cpu. Not worth replacing it yet. I'd say keep it till 2021 when the first ddr5 stuff with new sockets come out. You'll most likely be more than fine. Also you cannot upgrade to a 9600k (which is NOT and upgrade more of a downgrade actually) or a 9700k without a motherboard swap. 200 series boards have specifically not been made compatible with the 8000 or 9000 series.

Sure you won't get 100% of the max framerates you could have but more like 90%. A 7700k doesn't really hold back a 2080ti especially when oc'd a bit and a 3070 is supposed to be that performance.

Not worth it. What is worth doing is delidding your 7700k. People have managed to get it up to 25 degrees cooler by doing so, and it's cheap and safe with a delidding tool from eBay - you can even 3d-print it.

MindBlankTech got his 7700k to something absurd like 5.2 GHz after delidding.