How do I know the complete resolution of 3 Monitors when used as one fullscreen?

Hi Everyone. I'm stuck on trying to figure out how I go about understanding if I purchase 3 monitors with the same resolution and refresh rate, and then use the 3 monitors as an 'ultra wide immersion' kinda thing. For example, If I purchase 3x 1920x1080 monitors at 144hz each, how will the display turn out? Is it 1920x1080 x 3=? Or is each monitor left as 1920x1080 but simply merged together as a seemless display? 

I tried looking up on youtube, but couldn't find specifics. I'm sure there's a term for it though. 

What I want to know is the knowledge of what 3 x Monitors with the same refresh rate and resolution do. I know its a vague question, but I've been boggled over it for quite a while now. 

Picture for attention, not mine. 

Battle-Station-All-in-Black-Gaming-Computer-Desk-setup-with-Home-Theatre-and-Triple-Monitors-setup-Corsair-450D-case1.thumb.jpg.09f92828d03307b54e4f859131dfb2b0.jpg

if it's layout as the pic, it's (1920x3) x 1080 = 5760 x 1080

and it'll run at lowest Hz of the 3, if all 3 is 144 then 144 hz

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I'm really not sure what question you're asking.

If you connect 3 monitors to Windows then there are 2 modes they can operate in:

1. Duplicate. The same thing is shown on all 3 displays
  2. Extend. The 3 displays are effectively treated as one display. Your mouse cursor moves seamlessly from one to the other, and your effective resolution in your case would be 76805760×1080. One display is designated as your "main display" - which in most setups should be the central one - which is where the start menu appears and where windows open by default
Edited by pythonmegapixel
1920×3 ≠ 7680 lol

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

if it's layout as the pic, it's (1920x3) x 1080 = 5760 x 1080

and it'll run at lowest Hz of the 3, if all 3 is 144 then 144 hz

So the same could be said about 2560x1440 monitors then? If all monitors are the same resolution, but the main monitor is a higher refresh rate, do the sub-monitors run at the refresh rate or are they bound to their own? 

Just now, SamtheMan101 said:

So the same could be said about 2560x1440 monitors then? If all monitors are the same resolution, but the main monitor is a higher refresh rate, do the sub-monitors run at the refresh rate or are they bound to their own? 

No, they all run at the same refresh rate, which will be the lowest refresh rate supported by all monitors.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

5 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

I'm really not sure what question you're asking.

If you connect 3 monitors to Windows then there are 2 modes they can operate in:

1. Duplicate. The same thing is shown on all 3 displays
  2. Extend. The 3 displays are effectively treated as one display. Your mouse cursor moves seamlessly from one to the other, and your effective resolution in your case would be 7680×1080. One display is designated as your "main display" - which in most setups should be the central one - which is where the start menu appears and where windows open by default

Yes, sorry I'm not quite sure what I'm asking myself.

Effectively What I'm looking as is the "extending" part you mentioned. I'm trying to understand how same monitors with same resolutions are set up > as in if they are all 1920x1080 with 144hz, does that also come across the other monitors i.e. I think @Moonzy did a swell job of making it easier to understand though.

4 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

The 3 displays are effectively treated as one display

not quite, it's still 3 separate display to screens, so appliation might not scale well across all 3

i think OP is asking about surround/eyefinity, where you make 3 panels into 1 true display from the gpu software, and windows will treat it as one big display instead of 3 separate displays (only 1 start on the far left screen, like an ultrawide but 3 panels)

6 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

your case would be 7680×1080

how did u get 7680, or my lack of sleep screwed me up

1 minute ago, SamtheMan101 said:

So the same could be said about 2560x1440 monitors then?

yeap, if you stack the panels on top of each other, you multiply the other number

ie 2560 x (1440x3)

if you do 3 x 3 grid, then it's (2560x3) x (1440x3)

2 minutes ago, SamtheMan101 said:

If all monitors are the same resolution, but the main monitor is a higher refresh rate, do the sub-monitors run at the refresh rate or are they bound to their own? 

they will run at the lowest freq afaik

Just now, pythonmegapixel said:

No, they all run at the same refresh rate, which will be the lowest refresh rate supported by all monitors.

I'm confused on this, can you explain? what do you mean by the lowest refresh rate?

I'm confused on this, can you explain? what do you mean by the lowest refresh rate?

Say you have a 120Hz monitor and a 60Hz monitor. Both monitors will be capped at 60Hz. (At least, that's my understanding)

pythonmegapixel

Just now, pythonmegapixel said:

Say you have a 120Hz monitor and a 60Hz monitor. Both monitors will be capped at 60Hz. (At least, that's my understanding)

So then if both monitors are 120hz, they both run at the hz then? 

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

how did u get 7680, or my lack of sleep screwed me up

1920×3 - because OP was talking about a horizontal triple monitor setup with a width of 1920.

Edit - nope, I mistyped. Should be 5760

pythonmegapixel

So then if both monitors are 120hz, they both run at the hz then? 

Yes, exactly.

pythonmegapixel

1 minute ago, pythonmegapixel said:

1920×3

isnt that 5760? i did it in my head but now i verified it with calc

Just now, Moonzy said:

isnt that 5760? i did it in my head but now i verified it with calc

Yeah sorry, see my edit... I mistyped, for some reason I had 7680 in my head

pythonmegapixel

40 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

41 minutes ago, SamtheMan101 said:

No if you have 1 120hz monitor and 1 60hz monitor and they are extended and not eyefinity then both would run at their respective refreshrates. I have a 60 hz and a 90 hz monitor.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD