Memory only works in single channel

I was kind of hard on my cpu with some things I did for example I bent a pin, spilled some thermal paste on the pins. However pc is posting but only if I run single channel memory i.e. plug both of my ram sticks in next to eachother in the A slots. The B slots do not work even if only one memory stick is used I get the solid orange dram light. Is there a way to fix this? Is this my CPU or my motherboards fault or maybe even my memory (both work, tested this). (ryzen 5 3600, corsair vengeance lpx 3200mhz, asus tuf gaming b550 wifi)

Check your mobo manual and make sure that you connected your RAM into the right slots (most common is A2, B2 config = 2nd and 4th slot).

CPU: Intel Core i7 8086K, Delidded with Der8auer Custom Nickel-Copper IHS and Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra CPU Cooling: Scythe Ninja 5 with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Taichi RAM: 2x16GB Kingston Predator DDR4 3200 MHz 15-17-17-36 GPU: Gainward RTX 2080 Phoenix GS with Raijintek Morpheus II Core Black Heatpipe VGA Cooler, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste and 2x Scythe Kaze Flex PWM 120mm fans Case: SilentiumPC Regnum RG4T Pure Black TG Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Samsung 970 EVO 500GB, Seagate ST4000DM 4TB HDD, Toshiba HDWD240 4TB HDD PSU: SilentiumPC Supremo FM2 Gold 750W Case Cooling: 6x Scythe Kaze Flex PWM 120mm fans Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Mechanical Keyboard Mouse: Trust GXT845 Tural Display: Sharp LC-50LD265E Operating System: Windows 10

Sounds like you damaged a pin (or more) that corresponded to that memory channel, so there's not a whole lot you can do about it. If jamming the pin into its place doesn't do the trick, you're kind of SOL.

2 minutes ago, H6NS said:

Check your mobo manual and make sure that you connected your RAM into the right slots (most common is A1, B1 config - 1st and 3rd slot).

The system should POST regardless of which slots the DIMMs are installed into.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Check your mobo manual and make sure that you connected your RAM into the right slots (most common is A1, B1 config - 1st and 3rd slot).

I did both configurations with one slot in between, both do not work. (They did before my cpu accident) The orange dram light keeps being the result.

2 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Sounds like you damaged a pin (or more) that corresponded to that memory channel, so there's not a whole lot you can do about it. If jamming the pin into its place doesn't do the trick, you're kind of SOL.

I have seen mobos that didn't post when the RAM was incorrectly inserted.

CPU: Intel Core i7 8086K, Delidded with Der8auer Custom Nickel-Copper IHS and Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra CPU Cooling: Scythe Ninja 5 with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Taichi RAM: 2x16GB Kingston Predator DDR4 3200 MHz 15-17-17-36 GPU: Gainward RTX 2080 Phoenix GS with Raijintek Morpheus II Core Black Heatpipe VGA Cooler, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste and 2x Scythe Kaze Flex PWM 120mm fans Case: SilentiumPC Regnum RG4T Pure Black TG Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Samsung 970 EVO 500GB, Seagate ST4000DM 4TB HDD, Toshiba HDWD240 4TB HDD PSU: SilentiumPC Supremo FM2 Gold 750W Case Cooling: 6x Scythe Kaze Flex PWM 120mm fans Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Mechanical Keyboard Mouse: Trust GXT845 Tural Display: Sharp LC-50LD265E Operating System: Windows 10

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

So  I will just have to keep running everything at single channel for ever?

1 minute ago, H6NS said:

I have seen mobos that doesn't post when the RAM was incorrectly inserted.

The system did not post even though I did not touch the ram originally. I only got it to post again when I removed a ram stick from the B channel

I have seen mobos that doesn't post when the RAM was incorrectly inserted.

Hm, odd. On DDR4?

1 minute ago, Davy12 said:

So  I will just have to keep running everything at single channel for ever?

Potentially, yeah. 

You could watch this video and see if it's helpful at all for your situation:

Edit: On the other hand, now that I think about it, often when I've heard of bent pins and memory channels not working the symptoms only consisted of the memory not showing up. The system would POST normally.

Maybe check the DIMM slots on your board for any sort of damage.

Edited by Mateyyy

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Just now, Mateyyy said:

Hm, odd. On DDR4?

Potentially, yeah. 

You could watch this video and see if it's helpful at all for your situation:

Thanks, I've seen the video but maybe it was not clear from my original post but the pin is completely bent back. I can't even spot the difference between it and other pins anymore