Quad channel on msi b450 tomahawk max

Is it possible to run the corsair vengeance rgb pro 4x8gb 3600mhz on the msi b450 tomahawk max. I don't want to have 16x2, because I already have two of the same 8gb corsair sticks? The motherboard itself is dual channel that's why I'm asking.

2 minutes ago, Victorvis said:

Is it possible to run the corsair vengeance rgb pro 4x8gb 3600mhz on the msi b450 tomahawk max. I don't want to have 16x2, because I already have two of the same 8gb corsair sticks? The motherboard itself is dual channel that's why I'm asking.

It's possible to run four sticks of memory on this motherboard, it will be two sets of dual channel.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

yes it is. it will still run in dual channel mode, though

Does that have bad impact on my ram speed or on something else?

You technically can, though it'll be two dimms per channel meaning it will still run at dual channel with no bandwidth increase as am4 cpus only have 2 memory channels. 

Do note that 4 sticks is more pressure on the imc so you might not be able to run 4 sticks at the same speeds as 2 sticks. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Yes, it will work. It will run in dual channel mode though. You may possibly have to lower the speeds with 4 sticks.

7 minutes ago, Victorvis said:

Does that have bad impact on my ram speed or on something else?

Nope it won’t. It will just run dual dual channel as such !

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

17 minutes ago, Victorvis said:

Is it possible to run the corsair vengeance rgb pro 4x8gb 3600mhz on the msi b450 tomahawk max.

yes, you'll be able to run it at dual channel and dual rank, not quad channel.

as @TofuHaroto mentioned, having more memory ranks will put a higher strain on your IMC, so you might not be able to clock as high.

Depending on motherboard RAM topology design, sometimes 2x16GB can perform slightly better than 4x8GB, even though both are dual rank dual channel config (16gb sticks nowadays are mostly dual rank 8GBe chiplets. unless you can find ones with 16Gbe chiplets, then it'll be single rank)

but if you already have 2x8GB, get another 2x8GB, and maybe you'll have to tune down the freq slightly.

you can tighten timing to compensate for latency lost, but bandwidth will still be lost. though not all tasks (games dont) require high bandwidth, so you may see close to no difference.

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

• 3 months later...

Sup guys, just to confirm for you  i tried to use 4 x 8gb on 3600 mhz , i have the b450 tomahawk max and 2 x 8gb corsair vengeance 3600mhz (16gb total) they were running fine at 3600 mhz , then i bought  2 x 8gb new ram chips , the same, corsair vengeance 3600mhz ,so i should have 32 gb on 3600 mhz, but as everyone said over here the tomahawk couldnt handle 4 chips on 3600 mhz , so i had a force downgrade speed to 2133mhz , i tried to apply all the 4 chips on 3600 mhz but i couldnt, after 30 min running my pc just turn off , had to reset all my bios and start my pc without all peripherals. So you can have 4 x 8gb but not on 3600 mhz,  for now i think its better to have 2 x 8gb on 3600mz than 4 x 8gb on 2133mhz.

• 3 months later...

Just to pile on here.....My board is the B450 TOMAHAWK MAX II and Im running the Gen3 Ryzen 5 3600 and Ive had no issues running 4 8GB RAM sticks (Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB) at their full speed 3200hz. Check the link below as apparently the latest gen of Ryzen chips deal better with clocking 4 DDR4 sticks your MoBo can still hold you back but the processors are dealing with them better now.