3070 mobo and cpu pair

safarihunter

I am building a PC for a friend of mine who doesn't know much about them, but loves to game of course. The budget is 2K with a need for a whole new system, keyboard, and monitor to fit into that budget. I am really excited to build something with the new 3070 GPU but I'm not sure which mobo and CPU to pair with the new gen of GPU to squeeze all that juicy performance out of it. 

A friend of mine mentioned that the AMD CPU's have a technology that the Intel ones don't yet, and they have a much better price to performance ratio.

I have heard that the newer mobo's have PCI-E 4 which the new GPU series takes advantage of, but which is suggested to pair with it? Planning on taking this person to the world of 1440p at 144hz from the 1080p that she is used to.

Thank you!

If this is strictly intended for gaming:

Intel's kind of the way to go. Granted the CPU is not quite as important as it is at 1080p for gaming, but depending on the title it'll still make a difference.

Alternatively, you could wait for Zen 3, which should be coming in the following months, though a release date still hasn't been set in stone as of yet.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC