Processing noise from speakers (but not from headphones)

Nunbul

Hello everyone.
Since I bought this audio setup I'm facing this very annoying noise coming from my monitor speakers.
I have 2 KRK Rokit 5 speakers, AT-M50X headphones, and all these are connected in a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 Gen2 sound card.

It seems to be a PROCESSING noise. It gets worse when I'm rendering a song or a video. I can hear it getting more "intense" as the rendering bar "moves" or does small jumps. It gets CRAZY when I run a game.
Moving the mouse creates noise, especially if I set the polling rate at 500 or 1000Hz (Razer Deathadder Elite). Setting it to 125 makes the mouse noise inaudible, thankfully.

Things I have observed:
- The noise starts as soon as I enter Windows (not in BIOS)
- The noise doesn't appear when recording (either from a mic, guitar, or virtual instrument)
- There's absolutely NO NOISE coming from the headphones, which are connected to the same sound card unit.
- The noise is audible at the same level even if the volume is completely muted.

Things I tried:
- I have connected it on 3 different laptop (one Macbook Pro, one old Acer, and a newer Dell one), and NONE had any noise whatsoever. Therefore, thefore there's no problem with the speakers or the audio interface.
- I tried different wall plugs for the speakers, evenf or a speaker to be alone in one wall plug by itself. Stil the same noise, same intensity.

- I have done "tested" 3 different BIOS updates and many different drivers. No luck.

I have uploaded an audio sample with my phone, as I'm pressing to run Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

I've read somewhere it could be a motherboard or a PSU issue, but I haven't confirmed it yet, since I'd need to be doing multiple tests with multiple PSU and motherboard combinations, and I don't have any to test.
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Ultra Gaming

PSU: Corsair RM750X (supposed to be S-tier)

Please send help.
Thank you for your time!

Noise-Shadow_of_the_Tomb_Raider.aac

- My Music -

Hi there,

I have had this problem in the past and have helped many friends fix it. It's a ground loop signal problem. Your PC and Monitors are likely on the same power strip, or even if in different wall plugs, are on the same power circuit in your house. It is not always common for IT people to know about this issue, as it only really happens with Studio Monitors that send a ground signal to power.

The noise gets louder the more functions your computer undertakes, and especially when your GPU fires up. Hence why it picks up in noise when windows kicks in, and when you render or game. Good thing about this issue is that it's only a monitor issue, and should not add artifacts to your audio export or recordings. However it can get horribly loud!!!

There are a few ways to fix, but I suggest breaking the ground loop at the source where your DAC connects via USB to the PC. I use the iFi iDefender - Ground Loop Breaker, and the iFi iPower- Ultra-Low Noise AC/DC Adapter. These 2 products alone are not the cheapest, but are an industry standard for Audio Engineers. I use them with a comparable DAC, the Steinberg UR22c and Yamaha studio monitor setup.

The way iDefender works is to cut power entirely to the USB, but allows the signal to go through which eliminates the ground loop. The iPower has additional noise cancellation, to prevent re-introducing the ground loop, and connect to the iDefender to provide power to your DAC.

https://ifi-audio.com/products/idefender-plus/

https://ifi-audio.com/products/ipower/

In addition I also use the iFi iSilencer - USB Noise Filter, to reduce additional noise that may be introduced. This is not always necessary unless you are doing a lot of reference monitoring at low volumes.

https://ifi-audio.com/products/isilencer-plus/

Hope this helps :)

Throg

Thank you for the reply @Throgmorton
I actually found a few local shops who have both of these adapters, so I guess the next step is to contact them about the issue.
I've seen the "ground loop" mentioned before but no one mentioned any proper solutions (other than move to another house).
If my sound card has no external power connector (other than the usb) then I'll only need the USB, correct? I found that thing for $55 so I guess it would be cheaper to buy that and fix the problem instead of buying a new motherboard or power supply.

Anyway, thank you for guiding me through! I really appreciate it!

- My Music -

Try moving them away from your PC and make sure the signal wires aren't running past your PC or other wires connected to the PC.  

You could lower the gain on the speaker itself and increase the gain on the source, this way the speaker is amplifying the noise less. 

Another thing is that the KRK Rokit 5  can also take a balanced connection which is more resistant to EMI, though it may require you to buy a source that has balanced outputs

5 hours ago, geo3 said:

Try moving them away from your PC and make sure the signal wires aren't running past your PC or other wires connected to the PC.  

You could lower the gain on the speaker itself and increase the gain on the source, this way the speaker is amplifying the noise less. 

Another thing is that the KRK Rokit 5  can also take a balanced connection which is more resistant to EMI, though it may require you to buy a source that has balanced outputs

These are all good things you mention, and are good practice to reduce interference and noise. However the frequency he is getting is definitely Ground Loop based on the recording provided.

Check these articles about how to identify EMI interference hum and buzz, from a ground loop feedback. They give some product solutions but these are not the best which is why I recommended iFi as a brand.

https://www.psaudio.com/ps_how/how-to-find-and-fix-hum/

https://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-connection/ground-loops-eliminating-system-hum-and-buzz

Thanks,

Throg

6 hours ago, Nunbul said:

I actually found a few local shops who have both of these adapters, so I guess the next step is to contact them about the issue.
I've seen the "ground loop" mentioned before but no one mentioned any proper solutions (other than move to another house).
If my sound card has no external power connector (other than the usb) then I'll only need the USB, correct? I found that thing for $55 so I guess it would be cheaper to buy that and fix the problem instead of buying a new motherboard or power supply.

It is a very common issue amongst Audio Engineers and Audiophiles with crazy home theatre setups. Thanks for your detailed description and sample audio helped me identify immediately what the problem was based on my experience.

I don't use the iPower directly into my DAC, just the USB cable as you do. The iPower - Low Noise AC/DC is plugged directly into the iDefender - USB ground loop breaker, to send USB power to the device without the ground loop. So no need to worry if your DAC doesn't have a direct power input.

Best of luck, and let us know how you go.

Throg :)

59 minutes ago, Throgmorton said:

It is a very common issue amongst Audio Engineers and Audiophiles with crazy home theatre setups. Thanks for your detailed description and sample audio helped me identify immediately what the problem was based on my experience.

I don't use the iPower directly into my DAC, just the USB cable as you do. The iPower - Low Noise AC/DC is plugged directly into the iDefender - USB ground loop breaker, to send USB power to the device without the ground loop. So no need to worry if your DAC doesn't have a direct power input.

Best of luck, and let us know how you go.

Throg :)

7 hours ago, Nunbul said:

I realised I didn't fully answer one of your questions. You will need both iDefender USB ground loop breaker, and iPower AC/DC. Just the USB breaker will not power your DAC, as it does not draw any power from the PC. Hope this makes sense for you 

Thanks for the additional info.

These days I am looking for a new place to move, so I guess I will do that first and see if the new place has the same problem.
If not, then I will definitely use all of your advice. Thanks again!

- My Music -