Nintendo Just Won 2020

Lord Vile
9 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

It was at this point that I realized that the Wii is actually pretty old. Thanks for making me feel ancient for growing up with O. G. NES mario. 

N64 ftw

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

21 hours ago, duncannah said:

You can just play these on emulators though? I don't see what's special with it

People do want a official, legal, and easy way to play these games.

On 9/4/2020 at 10:15 AM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Do you feel there is much difference in how the game looks at 1080p vs 4k? Or do you get diminishing returns?

I haven't got into it myself but even without digging into it there are definitely limits. At some point the lower resolution fonts, textures and UI elements are the things that stand out. At which point I would assume you get into texture packs and so on. Kinda like how this is also a legit portable version of Super Mario Galaxy, there are definitely ways to do that also and if people are into that then more power to them. But personally ....... I'd rather just pay the extra to Nintendo and save the time/patience of the other methods.

On 9/4/2020 at 3:43 AM, WaggishOhio383 said:

Seems interesting, but if you're going to port a Wii Mario game it needs to be Super Mario Bros Wii.

As a long time Nintendo fan I get we're all attached to specific games from our childhood but.... why New SMB? I really don't see what a HD remaster of New SMB Wii brings to the Switch. In my eyes that's basically what the Wii U port of New SMB U is. It's kinda like asking why the Switch doesn't have the Super Mario Maker. Why would you even want it? Plenty of Mario on the Switch in any case at this point.

If we're going to complain about them not porting something I'd be calling for Skyward Sword. Between the Wii U, 3DS and Switch they've done remakes/ports of Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Even a Link Between Worlds was a re-imagining of LttP. So, Skyward Sword?

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

41 minutes ago, skywake said:

As a long time Nintendo fan I get we're all attached to specific games from our childhood but.... why New SMB? I really don't see what a HD remaster of New SMB Wii brings to the Switch. In my eyes that's basically what the Wii U port of New SMB U is. It's kinda like asking why the Switch doesn't have the Super Mario Maker. Why would you even want it? Plenty of Mario on the Switch in any case at this point.

I don't disagree that there isn't as much use for a New Super Mario Bros Wii remaster as there is for Sunshine and Galaxy 1, but NSMBWii was so much better a game than NSMBU IMO.  Though if there was ever a 2D Mario I'd like to see ported to Switch it would be the first New Super Mario Bros from the DS.

51 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I don't disagree that there isn't as much use for a New Super Mario Bros Wii remaster as there is for Sunshine and Galaxy 1, but NSMBWii was so much better a game than NSMBU IMO.  Though if there was ever a 2D Mario I'd like to see ported to Switch it would be the first New Super Mario Bros from the DS.

Fair call. I think after New SMB, New SMB Wii, New SMB 2 and New SMB/SL U they all kinda started to blend together in my head a bit. I definitely got the least out of the Wii U release but by that point I think they'd well and truly milked the style. Personally I think SMB U and Super Mario Maker 2 is more than enough New SMB on Switch.

If they were to remake/remaster/port any 2D Mario game to Switch I'd rather they went with the Super Mario Land titles. Even then, there's plenty more in their catalogue I think would make sense before that. 

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

14 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

tfw you spend 60 bucks to play old nintendo games at 1080p lul

They’re better the pretty much all games released recently and aren’t full of micro transactions or a battle pass. You get 3 complete games to just play. 

People are mainly excited that they can rage at SMS's secret levels on the go

I have a 5800x and a 3070

On 9/3/2020 at 12:50 PM, WaggishOhio383 said:

I'm not saying they aren't. I'm just saying for me personally the nostalgia isn't there since I never got the chance to play them myself. Maybe I'll have to pick them up used somewhere and give them a try (I've been getting back into playing a lot of platformers and racing games lately and I still have my Wii lying around gathering dust)

Don't wait too long, if you mean buying the version for the switch. At the end of march next year, they will stop selling it, forever.

I wish I knew what "Our company hates money" is in Japanese.  It should be Nintendo's new slogan.

49 minutes ago, Warin said:

Don't wait too long, if you mean buying the version for the switch. At the end of march next year, they will stop selling it, forever.

I wish I knew what "Our company hates money" is in Japanese.  It should be Nintendo's new slogan.

They’ll be doing something with them after, can see individual releases for them all. 

That's what everyone said about the NES and SNES Classic.  And various Amiibo.  And Gamecube controllers. And the USB Gamecube adapter. "They will do something else with them, it only makes sense"

Except Nintendo doesn't make sense.  And when they say they are done with something, it usually means exactly that.  In spite of there still be huge demand.

18 minutes ago, Warin said:

That's what everyone said about the NES and SNES Classic.  And various Amiibo.  And Gamecube controllers. And the USB Gamecube adapter. "They will do something else with them, it only makes sense"

Except Nintendo doesn't make sense.  And when they say they are done with something, it usually means exactly that.  In spite of there still be huge demand.

What are you on about? What more could they have done with the classics, Amiibo have always been a collectable, gamecube controllers were just for smash and so was the USB gamecube adapter. What more did you expect of them? 

To make enough for demand.  Do you know how many people still call game stores looking for one or all of these things, on a daily basis?  Nintendo has left tens, if not hundreds, of millions of dollars in customers pockets.  

2 minutes ago, Warin said:

To make enough for demand.  Do you know how many people still call game stores looking for one or all of these things, on a daily basis?  Nintendo has left tens, if not hundreds, of millions of dollars in customers pockets.  

Not really, it's a special edition thing for an anniversary, if it's available all the time what's the point? Same with Amiibo. Also gamecube controllers for switch are still made 

Third party, sure.  And for the guys I know who play Smash competitively, they are absolute hot garbage, since they generally break far faster than Nintendo's stellar controller  If any other company pulled the hijinks that Nintendo does, they would be squarely lambasted for it, but Nintendo gets a pass. 

Don't get me wrong, Nintendo makes a great product.  But they really care more about perceptions of scarcity and popularity than they do about making a product that people can actually have.

18 minutes ago, Warin said:

Third party, sure.  And for the guys I know who play Smash competitively, they are absolute hot garbage, since they generally break far faster than Nintendo's stellar controller  If any other company pulled the hijinks that Nintendo does, they would be squarely lambasted for it, but Nintendo gets a pass. 

Don't get me wrong, Nintendo makes a great product.  But they really care more about perceptions of scarcity and popularity than they do about making a product that people can actually have.

Ummm... https://store.nintendo.co.uk/elysium.search?search=Gamecube+controller&pageNumber=1&sortOrder=priceAscending

They're limited releases for a reason, it's not like the 35th anniversary stuff is even at the start of the consoles lifetime or even on for a short period of time, it's in in the middle to end of the consoles life, most people who would get one have one, the event is over Christmas with a good period of warning and the games are available digitally so you're not hunting on eBay for a £200 physical copy on the 20th of december.

8 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Ummm... https://store.nintendo.co.uk/elysium.search?search=Gamecube+controller&pageNumber=1&sortOrder=priceAscending

They're limited releases for a reason, it's not like the 35th anniversary stuff is even at the start of the consoles lifetime or even on for a short period of time, it's in in the middle to end of the consoles life, most people who would get one have one, the event is over Christmas with a good period of warning and the games are available digitally so you're not hunting on eBay for a £200 physical copy on the 20th of december.

Those are made by Hori, not Nintendo.  And there is no actual reason for limiting the digital purchase of a game to just a few months, other than the weird world view Nintendo has.  And, in fact, limiting the number of physical items available does exactly the opposite of encouraging digital purchase.  it just makes scalpers a whole hell of a lot of money.

1 hour ago, Warin said:

Those are made by Hori, not Nintendo.  And there is no actual reason for limiting the digital purchase of a game to just a few months, other than the weird world view Nintendo has.  And, in fact, limiting the number of physical items available does exactly the opposite of encouraging digital purchase.  it just makes scalpers a whole hell of a lot of money.

Still a gamecube controller.

There is it's called a limited run. They're not a new thing.

It is hard talking to someone wearing the Nintendo blinders. Seriously, change everything that I am talking about from being Nintendo to being EA and the internet would lose their collective minds.

and no, they look like GameCube controllers, but they are 100% not. They are nowhere near as durable and they suck for playing Smash. Trust me, I have tried many times to convince Smash fans that they are just as good and I get shit on for it. If you hadn’t guessed, I work at a retail video game store. I get to deal with people on a daily basis who love Nintendo but get seriously grumpy that they can’t get anything unless they preorder. Which in the case of Amiibo actually means nothing. We stopped preordering new release for amiibo because Nintendo never supplies as many as they allowed us to presell.

30 minutes ago, Warin said:

It is hard talking to someone wearing the Nintendo blinders. Seriously, change everything that I am talking about from being Nintendo to being EA and the internet would lose their collective minds.

and no, they look like GameCube controllers, but they are 100% not. They are nowhere near as durable and they suck for playing Smash. Trust me, I have tried many times to convince Smash fans that they are just as good and I get shit on for it. If you hadn’t guessed, I work at a retail video game store. I get to deal with people on a daily basis who love Nintendo but get seriously grumpy that they can’t get anything unless they preorder. Which in the case of Amiibo actually means nothing. We stopped preordering new release for amiibo because Nintendo never supplies as many as they allowed us to presell.

Call me when Nintendo games are pay to win and require gambling to require any means of success. If EA released any IP they have on anniversary on a limited run i would have no issue with it.

Personally I use a pro controller for smash but the new GameCube style ones are nearly as good as the originals, smash fanboys are very awkward and they'll just like the OG GameCube controller because they've been playing Melee and only that since 2001. I have a GameCube and the controllers good but it's not godlike like everyone seems to think it is, the 360 had it beat a few years down the line. 

Then they should preorder? They know they're in high demand it's not like it's unexpected.