Problema static Pc

juan_tgn

Hello, I have a problem, the upper case of my Pc gives me a bit of static, I have tried to disassemble the whole Pc and I have only left the motherboard with nothing, I connect the source both inside and outside the box and it follows me  happening, if I go barefoot of course, with sneakers it does not happen, the thing is that I think it should not be very normal, I have already tried with another psu and it happens the same, I do not know if the motherboard has a derivation or not, should I worry?

only pass in this site for the case in top, other parts no.

8091A4EB-5F57-42A4-A70C-995BF3484AE4.jpeg

0B2A556F-FAA4-40EB-B172-8EA44A77B371.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

i would have an electrician check if your house wiring is grounded.

Well, that section of the house is not grounded, it is a new surface installation, it is an old house, could that be why?  a one without grounding would not have to have derivation right?

1 minute ago, juan_tgn said:

that section of the house is not grounded, it is a new surface installation, it is an old house, could that be why?

thats probably the reason

a one without grounding would not have to have derivation right?

huh? what do you mean

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

14 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

huh? what do you mean

Sorry my english is bad 

I have said that if the plug does not have an earthing connection, it would not have to make a derivation of electricity to the box, right?

Just now, juan_tgn said:

a derivation of electricity

what does this mean?

your computer can operate with just L and N connection, but E is recommended to have for safety reasons

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

what does this mean?

your computer can operate with just L and N connection, but E is recommended to have for safety reasons

I think that it should not be normal for the motherboard to pass a little static electricity to the box, I don't know whether to buy another motherboard and test if it happens, because if it happens with the new one I think it would be "normal"

my house dont hace E,but i dont think this os the problem for static

I think that it should not be normal for the motherboard to pass a little static electricity to the box, I don't know whether to buy another motherboard and test if it happens, because if it happens with the new one I think it would be "normal"

my house dont hace E,but i dont think this os the problem for static

E is earth, or ground

it's pretty much a requirement in most countries to have earth (again, for safety reasons)

I'm not an electrician so i cant give a precise answer, but you feel a static not because your motherboard is "leaking" electric, but because there's a potential difference between your house's N (neutral) wire and ground, so you feel a slight tingling when you touch the panel, which has its voltage referenced to N instead of E, that you lack.

33 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

E is earth, or ground

it's pretty much a requirement in most countries to have earth (again, for safety reasons)

I'm not an electrician so i cant give a precise answer, but you feel a static not because your motherboard is "leaking" electric, but because there's a potential difference between your house's N (neutral) wire and ground, so you feel a slight tingling when you touch the panel, which has its voltage referenced to N instead of E, that you lack.

and is that normal?
 I say that it will not be very good, I think, can the PC break?

and is that normal?
 I say that it will not be very good, I think, can the PC break?

mmm... i don't have the adequate qualification to say anything else other than it's not recommended for safety reasons

i don't have any idea of long term damage it could do to your component or body.

but just to be sure, is it the tingly kind of static, or the big shock once in a while kind?

38 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

mmm... i don't have the adequate qualification to say anything else other than it's not recommended for safety reasons

i don't have any idea of long term damage it could do to your component or body.

but just to be sure, is it the tingly kind of static, or the big shock once in a while kind?

Very loose tingling, with a shoe it does not happen, it is only if I go barefoot and if I touch that particular place on the PC

Just now, juan_tgn said:

Very loose tingling, with a shoe it does not happen, it is only if I go barefoot and if I touch that particular place on the PC

yea most definitely not grounded issue

have had this happen to me before

it doesnt happen when you wear a shoe because you're not grounded, which wont allow current to flow to earth

Just now, Moonzy said:

yea most definitely not grounded issue

have had this happen to me before

it doesnt happen when you wear a shoe because you're not grounded, which wont allow current to flow to earth

Alternating current doesnt need a ground. Just a hot and neutral.

Since most floors are wood the tile or carpet, and not metal.... hes not grounded without shoes. Even a concrete floor, you're not grounded.

----

Wait... OP states to having the feeling with even the case empty.

He is just feeling the texture of the case.

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

there can be DC component in AC power, that's what (i think) is causing the tingly feel when he touches it

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Since most floors are wood the tile or carpet, and not metal.... hes not grounded without shoes. Even a concrete floor, you're not grounded.

"ground" doesnt literally mean ground, it's just a body with large enough capacitance to allow current to flow.

3 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

well, if that's the case then this would be a huge misunderstanding on my part

but the tingly feel of electric is... not something you'd mistaken a texture feel for

experienced it on aluminum chassis laptop too much (one of my house's socket isnt grounded)

Just now, Moonzy said:

there can be DC component in AC power, that's what (i think) is causing the tingly feel when he touches it

"ground" doesnt literally mean ground, it's just a body with large enough capacitance to allow current to flow.

well, if that's the case then this would be a huge misunderstanding on my part

but the tingly feel of electric is... not something you'd mistaken a texture feel for

experienced it on aluminum chassis laptop too much (one of my house's socket isnt grounded)

That texture, when you feel it, kinda strange actually. The lines in the skin and the lines in the scuffing process does that. 

If you look closely, the lines run front to back. Probably need a better picture than above though.

Look, nothing in the case, feels the strange texture which feels "electrifying" and the plug is laying on the table. Case has rubber feet, no exposed wires....

And this part I gotta laugh because the poor lad tore down his entire rig. Lol

11 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

----

It is a strange sensation, with the Pc empty with nothing else (without processor etc) only motherboard and motherboard power, when connecting the power supply cable to the current, with the psu turned off or on, in the part  top of the box and only in that part, I notice a bit of static, if I disconnect the cable from the Power Supply from the current nothing is noticeable and I am worried that it is something bad or that the motherboard creates a derivation to the  box, I don't know if you understand me well, I can make video if you want

3 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

And this part I gotta laugh because the poor lad tore down his entire rig. Lol

Np, need clean XD 

5 minutes ago, juan_tgn said:

if I disconnect the cable from the Power Supply from the current nothing is noticeable

yea, this point proves my hypothesis of his casing isnt being grounded and he can feel the potential difference between ground and neutral (through his body)

as for exactly what cased that current, cant be too sure as it's not my specialty in this field. (hoping someone with proper knowledge can let me know)

edit: to feel "tingly", the voltage has to be AC and above 30v~50v to be felt, so im not too sure what's up

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

yea, this point proves my hypothesis of his casing isnt being grounded and he can feel the potential difference between ground and neutral (through his body)

as for exactly what cased that current, cant be too sure as it's not my specialty in this field. (hoping someone with proper knowledge can let me know)

2 things happen when you ground current. Sparks and heat, or the breaker pops. 

But see the last post differs from the first.

If the PSU is screwed to the case, the PSU case is hot.

So plug in the PSU and touch it. Or maybe have your cat try it first just in case its live and you are grounded, the cat dies first.

Or use a multimeter.......

2 things happen when you ground current. Sparks and heat, or the breaker pops. 

it's leakage current, the amps are limited afaik. so it wont pop breakers.

If the PSU is screwed to the case, the PSU case is hot.

hot is a term used to describe it being connected to live wire, which is not the case here.

live connected to case = dead, not tingly feel

hmm... maybe @jonnyGURU can answer this?

please do not touch your components, having the stray current go through them might kill it

work on them when they're not plugged into the wall

26 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

please do not touch your components, having the stray current go through them might kill it

work on them when they're not plugged into the wall

Ok 

i think my best solution is buy new motherboard and try, if it does not happen to me, it was the little base, if it happens, it is totally normal I think

2 minutes ago, juan_tgn said:

Ok 

i think my best solution is buy new motherboard and try, if it does not happen to me, it was the little base, if it happens, it is totally normal I think

i recommend trying that PC somewhere else that u know has better wiring before spending money on a board

but up to you