3070 Opinions

Djinux78

So i am pretty sure I will buy a 3070 to replace my RX 5700 non XT...... Question is.... will there be any compelling reason NOT to buy the founders edition card?

1 minute ago, Djinux78 said:

will there be any compelling reason NOT to buy the founders edition card?

Well we don't know how the FE cooler on the 3070 performs, and it'll be more expensive than various other models from AIBs.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Typically, be cooling solutions from 3rd party vendors outperform reference cards (Founders Edition). There will also be overclocked versions as well. Founders will be vanilla. 

Me personally, I want the Founders even if performance or cooling is below the board partners just because the FE looks unique and interesting. Right now, performance and cooling is just speculation until cards are in reviewers hands like Gamers Nexus and they do deep dives into comparing all the versions. 

3 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Well we don't know how the FE cooler on the 3070 performs, and it'll be more expensive than various other models from AIBs.

I believe the Founders does not have a price premium this time. All reference cards are supposed to have the same msrp. If anything, some of the board partners will be more to compensate for the upgraded cooling solutions and factory overclocks. But, yes, we do not know how the FE cooler will work. 

13 minutes ago, Bobby Frags said:

I believe the Founders does not have a price premium this time. All reference cards are supposed to have the same msrp. If anything, some of the board partners will be more to compensate for the upgraded cooling solutions and factory overclocks. But, yes, we do not know how the FE cooler will work. 

They used the same "starting at $---" wording as they did with the RTX 2000 launch for example, and the Founder's Edition cards were $100 more expensive with that generation, and same with some prior generations too.

I'd like to believe that the FE tax is gone too, but considering the rumoured costs of these new coolers, I kind of doubt it.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

1 hour ago, Mateyyy said:

They used the same "starting at $---" wording as they did with the RTX 2000 launch for example, and the Founder's Edition cards were $100 more expensive with that generation, and same with some prior generations too.

I'd like to believe that the FE tax is gone too, but considering the rumoured costs of these new coolers, I kind of doubt it.

The FE 3070 is $499. Are you thinking the AiB’s are going to be less than that?  Maybe, we’ll see if they can undercut Nvidia. 

1 minute ago, Bobby Frags said:

The FE 3070 is $499. Are you thinking the AiB’s are going to be less than that?  Maybe, we’ll see if they can undercut Nvidia. 

Is that officially confirmed? I'm saying the FE 3070 is $599, with the AIB models starting at the $499. That's how it's been prior to this.

2 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

Even at that the 2060 was MSRP at launch

4 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

Is that officially confirmed?

Yes, that is officially confirmed, along with the 3080 being $700.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

2 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

Yes, that is officially confirmed, along with the 3080 being $700.

Yeah I checked a little while ago. Really nice to see the FE in line with AIB models now in terms of pricing, and it's quite surprising if the rumours regarding the cost of the new coolers are to be believed. 

The only thing that would've kept me away from going with a FE model would be the fact that I've got air cooling for my CPU, and the new cooler design really isn't optimal for that situation.

11 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

The only thing that would've kept me away from going with a FE model would be the fact that I've got air cooling for my CPU, and the new cooler design really isn't optimal for that situation.

I literally just bought an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120 AIO because of that. lol

It always seemed like a waste to put on a 3600 before, but for under $80, (there's an open box for $68 with free shipping too) it might just make the difference with the new GPU.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

1 hour ago, BTGbullseye said:

I literally just bought an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120 AIO because of that. lol

It always seemed like a waste to put on a 3600 before, but for under $80, (there's an open box for $68 with free shipping too) it might just make the difference with the new GPU.

I would have waited to see how it affects air coolers. A typical dual fan GPU dumps almost all of the hot air into the case, where it will pass by the air cooler on its way to being exhausted out the rear fan. With the new design of the 3000 series, the front fan ejects hot air out the back of the card like a blower. That is a portion of the hot air not affecting the CPU. 

All speculation until testing can be done. 
image.thumb.jpeg.52387fab321d2a3ad2299ac9232a3dbe.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Bobby Frags said:

I would have waited to see how it affects air coolers. A typical dual fan GPU dumps almost all of the hot air into the case, where it will pass by the air cooler on its way to being exhausted out the rear fan. With the new design of the 3000 series, the front fan ejects hot air out the back of the card like a blower. That is a portion of the hot air not affecting the CPU. 

All speculation until testing can be done. 

Well I have been planning on getting this AIO for quite some time now in preparation for the Ryzen 4000 CPUs that I plan on upgrading to, so it's not like it's going to go to waste sitting on this CPU for 6 years. lol

Also, it's replacing a $22 GAMMAXX 400, so it's not like I'm going from an expensive cooler that is similar in performance already.

• 2 weeks later...

Wait for reviews on cooling performance. Sure there is a chance of missing out initial stock if you wait. But lesses risk. Just because 30 series is out it doesn't make your existing GPU instantly obsolete and a piece of brick... Some of the features that are mentioned on presentation are not and will not be out for a while either or not being used heavily by the applications as of yet. 

Ofcourse there are exceptions where you're running a workstation system which can instantly benefit from improved rendering times, etc. In all other cases, wait ;)