APUs and "Cheap" Alternatives for an Asrock B550m itx

LJA
APUs and "Cheap" Alternatives for an Asrock B550m itx

Hi, I've just bought an Asrock B550m itx with the intention of using it as a secondary PC.

If I'm not mistaken, I can't install an ATHLON 3000, nor a 1600 AF, or the ones that I've reallly wanted like the APUs (2200/2400/3200 or 3400). I've heard some people had success with some APUs, but I don't feel like risking any sort of inestability due to not being compatible or simply not even booting.

Anyone knows if AMD is going to release soon any APU for the general consumer? because from what I've seen they just released their new APUs only for OEM.

And finally, if I won't be able to install any old or new APU out there, the only "cheap" alternative I have is a 3100/3500 or 3300? Athlon or such is a "no no" situation?

Thanks in advance!!

Lian Li TU150x - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax - Ryzen 9 3900x - Be Quiet Dark Pro 4 - Asrock RX6800 Ref. Design - Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 32GB - Patriot Burst SATA 240GB - AORUS NVMe Gen4 2TB - PNY CS3030 NVMe Gen3 2TB - Corsair SF750 - Redragon Vishnu K596 - Logitech G604 - Samsung UJ590 32" - Huion GT 221 Pro - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - Yamaha HS5

Sadly b550 does not support any current gen apu's currently (so athlon's and zen + and zen 1 apu's) though can support zen 2 apu's with a bios update, but currently those are only limited to OEM's for now.

10 hours ago, LJA said:

the only "cheap" alternative I have is a 3100/3500 or 3300?

Yep for now, though you will need a gpu as those do not have an i-gpu.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 hour ago, TofuHaroto said:

Sadly b550 does not support any current gen apu's currently (so athlon's and zen + and zen 1 apu's) though can support zen 2 apu's with a bios update, but currently those are only limited to OEM's for now.

Yep for now, though you will need a gpu as those do not have an i-gpu.

I've read of people throwing a 3400g with the original BIOS and the rig is working, but It's too much of a risk and I can bet that any new BIOS will ruin the combination. BTW it also needs a BIOS update for the new APU's?..I didn't know that.

Yeap I know I need a VGA with those...I've pulled the trigger for this mobo since it was the same money as B450 with a litlle better VRM, PCIex 4.0 for the M2 and a Type C on the IO Panel, but it seems I'll fvck up my chances of a cheaper secondary rig, I don't want to buy another VGA. I've thought that even if I don't like the new APUs those would be avaiable for the general consumer. Now I'm thinking of trading it for an older B450 but that sucks too.

Lian Li TU150x - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax - Ryzen 9 3900x - Be Quiet Dark Pro 4 - Asrock RX6800 Ref. Design - Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 32GB - Patriot Burst SATA 240GB - AORUS NVMe Gen4 2TB - PNY CS3030 NVMe Gen3 2TB - Corsair SF750 - Redragon Vishnu K596 - Logitech G604 - Samsung UJ590 32" - Huion GT 221 Pro - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - Yamaha HS5

10 hours ago, LJA said:

I've read of people throwing a 3400g with the original BIOS and the rih is working,

I personally haven't heard of anything like that, but at least natively, b550 does not support the agesa code for any current apu's. 

10 hours ago, LJA said:

.I didn't know that.

Yea, apu's have a different agesa code, so for example. a 3200g while being zen +, it has a different agesa code from zen + cpu's, you could wait for zen 2 apu's to come out to regular consumers (not just OEM's) and buy one, but other  than that, you'll sadly need a 3100/3300x etc and a gpu for the system to work.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

1 hour ago, TofuHaroto said:

I personally haven't heard of anything like that, but at least natively, b550 does not support the agesa code for any current apu's. 

Yea, apu's have a different agesa code, so for example. a 3200g while being zen +, it has a different agesa code from zen + cpu's, you could wait for zen 2 apu's to come out to regular consumers (not just OEM's) and buy one, but other  than that, you'll sadly need a 3100/3300x etc and a gpu for the system to work.

Some fellas in youtube tried it and worked, but I guess that the results might vary depending on the Mobo Brand and BIOS. I feel it's still too risky to buy a 3200 or 3400 APU in my case. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1wo9uWu6ro

Do you know if there is some launch date for the new APUs to be available for regular consumers? is that actually a possibility or it might end being just for OEM?

10 hours ago, LJA said:

Do you know if there is some launch date for the new APUs to be available for regular consumers? is that actually a possibility or it might end being just for OEM?

afaik it will be released to the regular consumer market but sadly i do not know when that will happen.

Build Log: