Overclocking for boinc?

Go to solution Solved by rkv_2401,

As @vsral mentioned, most people undervolt for distributed computing as keeping the heat and noise low, and power bills sustainable for long term contributing are more important to them than peak performance. I'm running an undervolted Ryzen 3600 at base clock for BOINC.

On 8/31/2020 at 5:11 AM, piratemonkey said:

I'm starting to boinc, and me not knowing when to leave well enough alone wants to overclock. I don't know if there's any benefit to be had, how to test for stability, or if I'll be more error prone (already had a couple tasks fail for whatever reason). this is for both CPU and GPU projects

Is there any benefit to be had? Not particularly, in my experience, but you can try the built-in benchmark and compare the scores to see if it makes sense for you.

Testing for stability basically boils down to how many tasks fail over a certain period of time as compared to usual. If you have 70 or more failed tasks in a day, it could be a problem with the settings you've applied. If your computer is stress-test stable, and doesn't turn off abruptly at idle/low usage, it should be stable enough for BOINC.

Tasks do fail randomly on occasion, we only need to get involved if a string of tasks fail consecutively.

I'm starting to boinc, and me not knowing when to leave well enough alone wants to overclock. I don't know if there's any benefit to be had, how to test for stability, or if I'll be more error prone (already had a couple tasks fail for whatever reason). this is for both CPU and GPU projects

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

Always consider power consumption (and as a result heat and noise).

That's why most people rather underclock / undervolt for distributed computing: more performace/watt

• 1 month later...

As @vsral mentioned, most people undervolt for distributed computing as keeping the heat and noise low, and power bills sustainable for long term contributing are more important to them than peak performance. I'm running an undervolted Ryzen 3600 at base clock for BOINC.

On 8/31/2020 at 5:11 AM, piratemonkey said:

Is there any benefit to be had? Not particularly, in my experience, but you can try the built-in benchmark and compare the scores to see if it makes sense for you.

Testing for stability basically boils down to how many tasks fail over a certain period of time as compared to usual. If you have 70 or more failed tasks in a day, it could be a problem with the settings you've applied. If your computer is stress-test stable, and doesn't turn off abruptly at idle/low usage, it should be stable enough for BOINC.

Tasks do fail randomly on occasion, we only need to get involved if a string of tasks fail consecutively.

Desktop 1 : Ryzen 5 3600 (O/C to 4Ghz all-core) | Gigabyte B450M-DS3H | 24GB DDR4-2400 Crucial(O/C to 2667) | GALAX RTX 2060 6GB | CoolerMaster MWE 650 Gold

Desktop 2 : i5 10400 | 32GB DDR4-3200(@ 2667Mhz) |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8 GB | Corsair CV450M

Laptop : ASUS ROG Strix G17 : i7-10750H, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660Ti 6GB(90W), 1TB NVMe SSD

Yoga 3 14 - i7-5500U, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 940M, 256GB SSD