Cant decide

Warnock

I spend 50/50 of my time watching anime/movies or gaming and i cant decide between having a 1440p for movies or a faster monitor for games, what should i do? 

Edit: Also wth is GTG in comparison with the BTW.. does 5ms gtg = 10 btw? 

1080p for a 27" is low for that size and you wont have the fine details i would rather "suffer" with slower refresh rate. gtg means how long it takes for the monitor to go from Gray to Gray (GTG).

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

What gpu do you have? That'll help decide (what kind of fps you expect in a game, therefore what monitor)

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

If you have a nice card, go for the 1440p dude. If you do anything else on your PC, even just browsing, it will be a lot nicer.

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @4.5GHz          RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Black              Drives: 480GB SSD/1.3HDD

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H          Graphics Card: ASUS HD7970 Direct CUII     PSU: Corsair HX650M

Case: NZXT Phantom Black/Modded        CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14                            Monitors: 2x Dell U2312HM

I spend 50/50 of my time watching anime/movies or gaming and i cant decide between having a 1440p for movies or a faster monitor for games, what should i do?

Hardcore FPS player -> 120Hz 23inch monitor

You have a decently powerful GPU and just play mostly other genre of game, or FPS but non competitively -> 60Hz 1440p monitor

GtG or Gray to Gray, is the time the monitor takes to pass from 1 gray color to another. This gray color is chosen by the manufacture, and it is not limited in picking the same gray color. Also the way to measure is different from manufacture to manufacture. There is no standard. So GtG is complete worthless crap specs. It means nothing.

The result (pictures from TFTCentral):

ViewSonic 1ms TN response time

viewsonic_vx2739wm.jpg

BenQ 1ms TN 120Hz response time

benq_xl2410t_120_ama_on.jpg

Dell 6ms IPS response time

dell_u2410.jpg

As you can see, the Dell U2410, despite being 6ms, is faster than the other mentioned models.

The best way to know the real refresh rate is to check in depth monitor review

ya my ideal would be 1200p @80hz ty for the help guys :) 

Is GTX 660 good for 2560x1440 gaming? I play BF3 and other FPS a lot but i am no hardcore player so i can live without he fastest response times. My pc is shit (cpu Q9300, and 4gb ddr2 ram) but i watch movies/browsing a lot too. I plan to buy a console too (this and next gen too) but even next gen consoles will use only 1080p i think. My choices are Viewsonic VP2770 and Eizo Forris bk-2333 but iam not sure about flicker on eizo :/ .

Is GTX 660 good for 2560x1440 gaming? I play BF3 and other FPS a lot but i am no hardcore player so i can live without he fastest response times. My pc is shit (cpu Q9300, and 4gb ddr2 ram) but i watch movies/browsing a lot too. I plan to buy a console too (this and next gen too) but even next gen consoles will use only 1080p i think. My choices are Viewsonic VP2770 and Eizo Forris bk-2333 but iam not sure about flicker on eizo :/ .

You will run into a bottleneck trying to generate 1440 with that cpu.. u shoudl better uprgade your cpu before thinking on getting a new monitor imo 

I have a 27" 120hz 1080p monitor and I have to say that it comes down to what you want. the worse colors and lower res is kind of bugging me, but the high refresh rate is more important for me, because my eyes are very sensitive to light or something along those lines, but playing FPS games at 60hz gives me headaches after ~60mins, while with a 120hz monitor I can game for hours, and hours, and hours without any difficulty. It really comes down to what you want to do. a 1440p monitor is very expensive. Most anime is not higher res than 1080p, so you won't notice a difference there, so you might want to go with a 24" 1080p IPS panel. Unless you have trouble with your current 60hz screen you shouldn't switch to 120hz, it just gets more painful to go back to 60hz XD

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Actually what you needed is a back light of a monitor without using a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation), or it's frequencies of 2500Hz or something really high like this, and not typically 300Hz or sometimes lower. Or, high-grade CFL back light. CFL have a layer of phosphor in the tube of light. Phosphor keeps light. High-grade CFLs back light, phosphor level is able to keep the light at full intensity until the electrode of the CFL fires again, giving you a steady light. You know all this by looking at in-depth reviews of a monitor. Usually, the high-grade consumer level monitors isn't an issue.

Or, you do what you have done, and get a 120Hz monitor.

Ive got a 27 inch 1080p 120hz Sammy. It would be nice if it were higher res, but it doesn't really matter

Hardcore FPS player -> 120Hz 23inch monitor

You have a decently powerful GPU and just play mostly other genre of game, or FPS but non competitively -> 60Hz 1440p monitor

GtG or Gray to Gray, is the time the monitor takes to pass from 1 gray color to another. This gray color is chosen by the manufacture, and it is not limited in picking the same gray color. Also the way to measure is different from manufacture to manufacture. There is no standard. So GtG is complete worthless crap specs. It means nothing.

The result (pictures from TFTCentral):

ViewSonic 1ms TN response time

viewsonic_vx2739wm.jpg

BenQ 1ms TN 120Hz response time

benq_xl2410t_120_ama_on.jpg

Dell 6ms IPS response time

dell_u2410.jpg

As you can see, the Dell U2410, despite being 6ms, is faster than the other mentioned models.

The best way to know the real refresh rate is to check in depth monitor review

is that dell actually true is it like gaming on a 5ms? i dont get why it says 6ms ive been looking at this monitor i didnt want to get it because of the 6ms

Unless you can actually find 1440p video files (which I hiiiiiiighly doubt :D ) going for the 1440p because of movies doesn't makes sense. There's other obvious reasons to go for it (work etc) but let's not get into that. I'm not a big fan of 27" screens though and would much rather get two 24" 1080p monitors. :)

1ms difference is not visible.

There is no "true" Gray-to-Gray measurement... there is no standard of any kind that is made. It's just ones company idea of showing instead of black to white, and it boosted sales for them, despite nothing more than regular monitor, and now every company does it.

I want to say "It's at least a good way to know if one monitor is faster than another within the same brand", but sadly I can't. because that's not even true.

In the case of Dell, they don't measure, they just say what LG says on the panel specs sheet.

But if you wonder, yes the Dell U2410 is one of the fastest IPS panel at the time, and still competitive today. It also cost 750$ at release... so not cheap for this luxury of feature.

You will run into a bottleneck trying to generate 1440 with that cpu.. u shoudl better uprgade your cpu before thinking on getting a new monitor imo 

Its not worth tu upgrade jsut for cpu, i need a whole new pc :/ Then i need to find good ips monitor for console gaming. As a  PC player wil be forced to give it up for a while.

It's no better it's different, depends on the usage. I would prefer the high-res IPS panel over the fast-low-res-TN panel.