Looking for a CPU for my dedicated Minecraft Server.

I am in search of a CPU. A CPU that shouldn't be too hard to find but is. A forge 1.12.2 server uses around 16 threads to operate, 3-4 cores, and a lot of memory. I work at a server center supplier and as server centers upgrade their DDR3 racks for DDR4 I am able to take as much as I want from the trash so I say to myself, my friends and I run a server on one of our PC's but what if we had a dedicated rig so I start looking into it. I figure I could use PcPartPicker to help configure it but soon find out you cant filter a CPU by memory type and so I turn to forums. I am looking for a 18 thread, 4 or more core, 4.2 or higher boost clock CPU That accepts DDR3 ECC memory. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
(I plan to use something like a R9 290 and just as much RAM as possible with whatever motherboard will support the CPU and RAM for the rest of the build)

3 minutes ago, Lbcowman said:

I am in search of a CPU. A CPU that shouldn't be too hard to find but is. A forge 1.12.2 server uses around 16 threads to operate, 3-4 cores, and a lot of memory. I work at a server center supplier and as server centers upgrade their DDR3 racks for DDR4 I am able to take as much as I want from the trash so I say to myself, my friends and I run a server on one of our PC's but what if we had a dedicated rig so I start looking into it. I figure I could use PcPartPicker to help configure it but soon find out you cant filter a CPU by memory type and so I turn to forums. I am looking for a 18 thread, 4 or more core, 4.2 or higher boost clock CPU That accepts DDR3 ECC memory. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
(I plan to use something like a R9 290 and just as much RAM as possible with whatever motherboard will support the CPU and RAM for the rest of the build)

i had a 1.12.2 forge minecraft server that ran like a champ on my 4c/4t cpu with 16gb of ram

pretty sure what you want is a mad overkill...

ddr3 you can look into a i7 3770k / i7 4790k

NOTE - they use different sockets so careful with your motherboard selection.

NOTE 2 - you will need a motherboard with intel's 'z' chipset in order to overclock the cpu.  

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

How many friends? If it's 5 or so. Something as low as a pentium g620 will do the trick.

It would be but we have a lot of mods that already crash one of our well built PC's (Da Vincis vessels, twilight forest)

14 minutes ago, Lbcowman said:

Go on ebay/aliexpress and buy a knockoff X79 motherboard and a xeon e5 1620. Best Price/Performance you can get. Especially with the 4 memory channels.

19 minutes ago, Terminaturion said:

Go on ebay/aliexpress and buy a knockoff X79 motherboard and a xeon e5 1620. Best Price/Performance you can get. Especially with the 4 memory channels.

Fun fact bought one today but with a better motherboard. Got a real X79 for 40€ and two xeons for roundabout 30€ one 4c/4t at 3ghz and one 4c/8t at 4ghz