How much harder is programming than scripting?

FileCorrupted

So I have been Scripting and basic Programming for close to 2-3 years now I started with C++ Mainly just text games and simple things than I did some Java and then found my way to Unity. In Unity I have mainly been Using JS and some C#. I consider my self fairly good at JS(Unity).

Essentially what I need to know is is it worth it (From a career standpoint) to try to learn a language and make something entirely away from unity, or will I be just fine if I use unity and then go into the programming industry with only JS and Unity C# knowledge?

Why not learn as much as you can? At school they only teach me (us) java, C++, HTML, SQL, and maybe OCaml. But I took it upon myself to learn python, JS, various frameworks, and asp.net/C#. 

The more versatile you are, the the better you'll standout in a career standpoint. 

CPU Intel Core i7-4790K Motherboard ASUS Saberthooth Z97 Mark1 RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB @ 2133MHZ GPU 2 X MSI GeForce GTX GTX 980TI GAMING 6G SLI Case Phantex Enthoo Evolv ATX Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB / Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB PSU Corsair RM1000i Display Asus 4K PB287Q Cooling Noctua NF-A14 FLX & NF-F12 PWM /Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm Keyboard Corsair K70 Mouse ROCCAT Kone XTD Sound Card Asus Xonar STX

Well, scripting can be different from game to game, while programming, at least in case of gaming, is limited to 3 languages max (C++, C#, Java), not including weirdos ofc.

I personally enjoy both, first adding functionality, and then abusing the sh!t out of it, perks are, if you need some functionality, you add it :)

So I have been Scripting and basic Programming for close to 2-3 years now I started with C++ Mainly just text games and simple things than I did some Java and then found my way to Unity. In Unity I have mainly been Using JS and some C#. I consider my self fairly good at JS(Unity).

Essentially what I need to know is is it worth it (From a career standpoint) to try to learn a language and make something entirely away from unity, or will I be just fine if I use unity and then go into the programming industry with only JS and Unity C# knowledge?

As long as you know the basics of programming, you can adapt to any language. Being able to do that is what most employers are looking for. They dont care if you know every single language out there, as long as you are proficient in the languages you do know and you know the basics, you can essentially learn and use any language they want you to. In the industry, they do like you to have c++ or python experience depending on the job and from what ive seen when people are looking to hire.

• 2 years later...
On 3/5/2014 at 7:37 PM, FileCorrupted said:

It depends on what you're doing. Writing a test automation script that dynamically adapts to 500 million different requests response can be difficult.  Writing a script that's sort of fire and forget isn't that hard.  

I always thought/say programming is learning to do things in one language really well, then trying to figure out how to do it in another language. I know a bit of python and c++, Those things on the surface aren't closely related, but because I know how to do one I can look up the other, the same with C#, Java, Swift, Obj-C, etc.

You could enter a smaller game company with the knowledge you have now, as I find that many small game studios use Unity3D. They use this because of the (relatively) low costs and because at schools/colleges they teach a lot of Unity3D, so interns can also be put to use. 

All AAA studios will probably ask for a person that is very good with C++ or even C, but they will also ask for (usually) 3 years of experience in the game industry.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Reviving a thread after two and a half years is awesome.

Programming is not necessarily harder than scripting as the main difference is that you have an additional step (compiling/linking) to perform every time; which is largely scriptable itself these days. If you use a sane language with a decent debugger, there is no reason to prefer scripting to actual programming.

Write in C.