Return RTX 2060 and wait for 3060?

marcosedh

Hello

I recently (1 week ago) purchased the RTX 2060 KO Ultra from EVGA for $350. I just realized NVIDIA might release their new gen GPU next month so I was thinking on returning the 2060 and purchase the new gen or maybe re-purchase the 2060 for less than what I paid.

Do you think this is a good idea? is it worth the hassle?

the 3060 wont likely be released next month. also i dont think returning the 2060 only to buy another one is worth the hassle.

but really though, a 2060 KO for $350? $30 more you can get yourself a 5700xt

Edited by Oswin

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

Thanks for your advice.

I went with nvidia because resale market is better. Also had some bad experiences with Radeon in the past. Would you recommend to get the 5700xt instead?

I'd say anywhere between 2-5 months after the RTX 3080, so 3-6 months from now. Hopefully in time for cyberpunk but you never know.

I'd say return it if you have another GPU to play on, that way you'll at least know what the lineup is prior to release etc. There's a good chance the RTX 3060 will cost an outrageous $450 (analyzing trends, not leaks), so maybe you won't want it anyhow.

1 minute ago, marcosedh said:

Thanks for your advice.

I went with nvidia because resale market is better. Also had some bad experiences with Radeon in the past. Would you recommend to get the 5700xt instead?

Depends. Radeon is way faster for the price, but you don't get features like ray-tracing and DLSS, which could be pretty big... Although right now very few games are supported.

How about using EVGA's step up program? Make sure to register the card ASAP. But at least with this you have a card you can use for a month or two while waiting for info and if you dont like the info, then you can keep the card...never know, if 2060's get sold out because people don't like the prices for the 3060's, then there might be shortages, which could cause prices to rise.

https://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

33 minutes ago, marcosedh said:

Hello

I recently (1 week ago) purchased the RTX 2060 KO Ultra from EVGA for $350. I just realized NVIDIA might release their new gen GPU next month so I was thinking on returning the 2060 and purchase the new gen or maybe re-purchase the 2060 for less than what I paid.

Do you think this is a good idea? is it worth the hassle?

the 3060 isn't likely to come out until at the earliest November and possibly even early 2021, but we'll find out if there are any announcements on that in a week, but I assume they'll do what they have always done which is release the x080 and x080 Ti a month later and announce the x070 to release an additional month after that, they don't usually mention the x060 at those events.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Just now, marcosedh said:

I didn't know about that program, really appreciate it!

No problem, I personally haven't used it, but I have had a few friends utilize it and it worked out for them just fine.

I am partially doing the same as you. I just built a SFFPC and bought a 2060 about 2 weeks ago. I specifically bought a EVGA because their support is awesome and their cards run great, but also for the Step-Up, so if I like the 3080/3070 pricing I can upgrade to that for my main rig and then slap my 1080ti in my SFFPC instead. And if I don't like price:performance...then I won't do the Step-Up lol.

Hope whatever you decide works out. To me, as long as you have a good GPU, you can always wait things out. I'd rather have a 2060 than nothing at all.

10 minutes ago, marcosedh said:

Thanks for your advice.

remember to quote or mention until its highlighted @Oswin that we may get notified of your reply

if you are not looking to use the features like nvenc, dlss, or raytracing (a 2060 is not gonna do well with RT anyway), then then go with the 5700xt because its a good bit faster. though you might want to consider EVGA's step up program linked by @EChondo instead.

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

4 minutes ago, Oswin said:

remember to quote or mention until its highlighted @Oswin that we may get notified of your reply

if you are not looking to use the features like nvenc, dlss, or raytracing (a 2060 is not gonna do well with RT anyway), then then go with the 5700xt because its a good bit faster. though you might want to consider EVGA's step up program linked by @EChondo instead.

There's a 5700xt from XFX on Amazon for $379, but I read somewhere about heating problems. That's the kind of thing I'm afraid of with Radeon, is there any card in particular I should check out?

Thank you all for your help

12 minutes ago, marcosedh said:

There's a 5700xt from XFX on Amazon for $379, but I read somewhere about heating problems. That's the kind of thing I'm afraid of with Radeon, is there any card in particular I should check out?

Thank you all for your help

are you referring to the XFX tripple dissipation? afaik they are pretty decent

some solid 5700xt are the sapphire pulse, nitro + and power color red devil (though these last 2 are rather expensive)

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

17 minutes ago, Oswin said:

are you referring to the XFX tripple dissipation? afaik they are pretty decent

some solid 5700xt are the sapphire pulse, nitro + and power color red devil (though these last 2 are rather expensive)

good! I'm considering now returning the 2060 and getting the XFX RX 5700 XT Triple Dissipation instead, all I want is to have the best cyberpunk 2077 experience possible within my budget lol

4 minutes ago, marcosedh said:

good! I'm considering now returning the 2060 and getting the XFX RX 5700 XT Triple Dissipation instead, all I want is to have the best cyberpunk 2077 experience possible within my budget lol

we wont know how both cards will perform then, since you mentioned cyberpunk the step up program wont be a bad idea either. also considering cyberpunk will make use of DLSS 2.0 which isnt available on AMD cards.

Edited by Oswin

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop: