GPU usage spikes to 100% during non intense loads and then the game crashes

Hello, if had this for quite a while and nothing i tried seemed to help.

The Problem: whenever im playing games, the gpu usage spikes at random times to 100% even when the usage before that was like 30% and then the game crashes. It's only with some games and its not consistent, sometimes a game works for hours sometimes i cant even start it properly or change settings etc. Benchmarks work fine. sometimes an error message shows up saying the graphics driver has crashed.

Tried solutions: Driver/ windows updates, fresh install of both with ddu, enabling disabling g sync, using only one monitor, using lower settings, underclocking, stress test with benchmark to see if the psu is the problem.

Specs: GTX 1080ti

I7-7700

16gb ram

msi z270a pro

2tb hdd

500gb ssd

600w psu

windows 10 64 bit

i know that your warranty is probably up but as with most problems i face, turn to the manufacturer for help. contact customer support if possible and they could offer a solution

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

16 minutes ago, eeeee1 said:

i know that your warranty is probably up but as with most problems i face, turn to the manufacturer for help. contact customer support if possible and they could offer a solution

Ive contacted them before and they said that as i did a reinstall of windows and the drivers that they can rule out the software as the source of the problem. they said i should test the gpu in a friends system, which i cant do atm as my friends pc case is too small to fit it. Are these pc repair services trustworthy or do they just want to sell you new parts anyway ?

@Affenpoop88

Does it crash to the desktop or does the computer randomly reboot? 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

4 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

@Affenpoop88

Does it crash to the desktop or does the computer randomly reboot? 

it crashes to the desktop/ just says the application stopped responding. sometimes i get an error saying the graphics driver crashed.

21 minutes ago, Affenpoop88 said:

it crashes to the desktop/ just says the application stopped responding. sometimes i get an error saying the graphics driver crashed.

Go to your device manager screen, click on the 'view' tab at the top and click 'hidden devices'. Does it show anything ghosted or greyed out under 'display adapters' as shown below? If so, try uninstalling it and then restart your computer, see if that works. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

31 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

Go to your device manager screen, click on the 'view' tab at the top and click 'hidden devices'. Does it show anything ghosted or greyed out under 'display adapters' as shown below? If so, try uninstalling it and then restart your computer, see if that works. 

no there isnt anything greyed out.

2 hours ago, Affenpoop88 said:

no there isnt anything greyed out.

So its either a faulty GPU, bad ram, or a conflict with other programs running in the background. Certain anti virus programs can cause it assuming you are using anything besides Windows Defender. If its bad ram, you can test each stick individually with the app below. It could even be the latest driver causing it, and you might have to revert to an earlier version. 

Link: https://www.memtest86.com/

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2020 at 9:50 PM, BlackManINC said:

So its either a faulty GPU, bad ram, or a conflict with other programs running in the background. Certain anti virus programs can cause it assuming you are using anything besides Windows Defender. If its bad ram, you can test each stick individually with the app below. It could even be the latest driver causing it, and you might have to revert to an earlier version. 

Link: https://www.memtest86.com/

I've done the memtest now and it said that there are no problems. I had used a different antivirus for a while but now i reverted back to windows defender, and i always  put all my games into the exclusions. i guess its my gpu afterall, so (hoping i'll get one) i'll buy a 3080. anyway, thanks for the help.

3 hours ago, Affenpoop88 said:

I've done the memtest now and it said that there are no problems. I had used a different antivirus for a while but now i reverted back to windows defender, and i always  put all my games into the exclusions. i guess its my gpu afterall, so (hoping i'll get one) i'll buy a 3080. anyway, thanks for the help.

Ok, hope it works. In the future though, I would refrain from using DDU to solve potential driver issues. I have yet to see it actually any solve problems, and if anything, it might be exacerbating the problem. I have reservations of trusting third party applications that directly tampers with the registry to that extent. There ain't no telling what its fucking with. I'd just use device manager to uninstall left over drivers instead. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10