Commit to Zen2 or wait for Zen3???

Hi all! 
I am looking at upgrading my MOBO, CPU and RAM in the coming months and have the money now.

my current build is:

X79 i7-3930k (Noctua NH-D14 cooler)

Asus P9X79 Pro

Corsair Vengeance Pro 64GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (8gb x 8 )

Nvidia 1080 ti Founders Edition

Raidr Express PCIe

SSD Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

WD 2 TB Black x 2

AX860i

Corsair Carbide Air 540

I am Looking at upgrading to a:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
MSI AMD Ryzen MPG X570
Corsair 64GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz RAM/Memory Kit 4x 16GB
(plus some NVMe's obviously)

Is it worth waiting till Zen3 even if its just for the price drops? or will the 3900x even get a drop as it is cheap as is!!!

keep switching between buying it now and just waiting 

Also any other recommendation build wise are appreciated 

Cheers

Jack 

Seeing that the AM4 socket is reaching EOL, what I would do is wait. That way I'd have an upgrade path in the future without having to also buy a new motherboard.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If possible wait for zen 3 and check what it has to offer and then decide. 

But quick note, that x570 board is subpart at best and I wouldn't pair it with a 12 core. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

it depends

what you need the pc for ?

zen2 is already enough for most use cases

the only benefit you'll get from zen3 is higher fps in lower resolution so what monitor you're using ?

and if you don't use the computer for video rendering or something demanding and just for gaming a 3700x is enough

1 minute ago, Uptivuptiz said:

Seeing that the AM4 socket is reaching EOL, what I would do is wait. That way I'd have an upgrade path in the future without having to also buy a new motherboard.

Zen 3 is supposed to be on AM4 though, how does that create an upgrade path?

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

3 minutes ago, Syn. said:

Zen 3 is supposed to be on AM4 though, how does that create an upgrade path?

Ah, seems I've been mistaken. In that case I'd say go for it.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

If possible wait for zen 3 and check what it has to offer and then decide. 

But quick note, that x570 board is subpart at best and I wouldn't pair it with a 12 core. 

Looking that way as of now!
Oh for real what would hold it back?
and what would you look for in a mobo pairing it with the 3900x?

Thanks again!

Just now, JM7 said:

Oh for real what would hold it back

The gaming plus's vrm is subpart at best and will really struggle with a 12 core sadly. 

Wait for zen 3 and check what it has to offer and then decide on what board you want to get. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

18 minutes ago, JM7 said:

Is it worth waiting till Zen3 even if its just for the price drops? or will the 3900x even get a drop as it s cheap as is!!!

depends on what you're looking to do on the system, Zen 3 will have 8 core CCX's instead of 4 which means that would offer big improvements to gaming performance, and with an IPC uplift rumored to be of 10%+ it should even surpass Intel in that regard, but if you're doing different kinds of workloads other than gaming then there shouldn't be a huge difference from previous generation other than the IPC improvements. (depending on workload)

17 minutes ago, YsGrandi said:

it depends

what you need the pc for ?

zen2 is already enough for most use cases

the only benefit you'll get from zen3 is higher fps in lower resolution so what monitor you're using ?

and if you don't use the computer for video rendering or something demanding and just for gaming a 3700x is enough

It's going to be used as a work station as much as it is for gaming hence the 64GB of ram. 
Do a bit of rendering on Modo but spend most of my time in Photoshop and Capture-one
and Im running a 1440P 165hz ASUS TUF + 1440p Eizo ColorEdge CS2731 as i use my current machine for both.
Was looking at the 3900x for headroom due the some of the big files i work on 

1 minute ago, Syn. said:

depends on what you're looking to do on the system, Zen 3 will have 8 core CCX's instead of 4 which means that would offer big improvements to gaming performance, and with an IPC uplift rumored to be of 10%+ it would surpass Intel in that regard, but if you're doing different kinds of workloads other than gaming on the system then there shouldn't be a huge difference from previous generation other than the IPC improvements.

you should specify in the gaming performance that you're talking about high framerate gaming on low resolution with highend gpu

because if for example you have 1440p60fps monitor there is no difference between zen 2 and intel

5 minutes ago, JM7 said:

It's going to be used as a work station as much as it is for gaming hence the 64GB of ram. 
Do a bit of rendering on Modo but spend most of my time in Photoshop and Capture-one
and Im running a 1440P 165hz ASUS ROG + 1440p Eizo ColorEdge CS2731 as i use my current machine for both.
Was looking at the 3900x for headroom due the some of the big files i work on 

Oh in that case if you want to reach those frame rates you should wait for zen 3 and maybe sell the 1080ti they sell on ebay for 400USD and get the rtx 3070 for 500$ (hoping the price stay like this) and you'll get better performance than 4900x vs 4700x

Just now, YsGrandi said:

you should specify in the gaming performance that you're talking about high framerate gaming on low resolution with highend gpu

because if for example you have 1440p60fps monitor there is no difference between zen 2 and intel

It doesn't necessarily have to be low resolution for a game to reach a frame rate cap due to CPU bottleneck, though it is a fair point in most scenarios, but since he has a 165Hz monitor then it is possible to see a difference in performance between Zen 2 and Intel, and considering the upcoming games are supposed to be even more CPU intensive then the CPU bottlenecks would arise on lower frame rates, for example the new Microsoft Flight Simulator.

8 minutes ago, Syn. said:

It doesn't necessarily have to be low resolution for a game to reach a frame rate cap due to CPU bottleneck, though it is a fair point in most scenarios, but since he has a 165Hz monitor then it is possible to see a difference in performance between Zen 2 and Intel, and considering the upcoming games are supposed to be even more CPU intensive then the CPU bottlenecks would arise on lower frame rates, for example the new Microsoft Flight Simulator.

MFS was the catalyst to me wanting to upgrade.
As I'm sure you can imagine my poor 3930K didnt fair so well hahahah!

Also 165hz isnt a essential for sure, most games where its a benefit i can already achieve it with my current build.

But i do notice the age of my CPU on 2020 titles, it's starting to struggle for sure. even just keeping 60 FPS at times we pushed the max setting at 1440P.

18 minutes ago, JM7 said:

MFS was the catalyst to me wanting to upgrade.
As I'm sure you can imagine my poor 3930K didnt fair so well hahahah!

Also 165hz isnt a essential for sure, most games where its a benefit i can already achieve it with my current build.

But i do notice the age of my CPU on 2020 titles, it's starting to struggle for sure. even just keeping 60 FPS at times. 

It isn't clear when Zen 3 would release so it's difficult to tell you to wait for it (though it will be this year), unless the benefits I've mentioned are important or the upgrade is essential for you to continue working on your projects, it would be a huge upgrade either way coming from a 3930K so I don't think you would regret it.

• 3 weeks later...

Sell that 1080TI asap, they will be worth pennies in no time. Get yourself a 3070

IF you use it for workstation, you should wait for the zen3 and get your hands on a 4800/4900