CPU de-lidding question

Using i9 10900k.

After you delid the CPU, do you leave the lid off when you attach the waterblock, or do you have to put it back on?

4 minutes ago, boxfox said:

Using i9 10900k.

After you delid the CPU, do you leave the lid off when you attach the waterblock, or do you have to put it back on?

Put the lid back on. There's a high chance you will crack the die.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

no need to delid a 10900k. The SIM they use is optimized and actually decent, plus its soldered so you stand a high degree chance of damaging your CPU DIE during the deliding process. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

47 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

no need to delid a 10900k. The SIM they use is optimized and actually decent, plus its soldered so you stand a high degree chance of damaging your CPU DIE during the deliding process. 

It's actually pretty easy to get the lid off with the right tool.  Takes a few minutes.  Testing is showing 5-10C cooler temps under load with liquid metal paste, too, which seems pretty worth it.

42 minutes ago, boxfox said:

It's actually pretty easy to get the lid off with the right tool.  Takes a few minutes.  Testing is showing 5-10C cooler temps under load with liquid metal paste, too, which seems pretty worth it.

I respectfully disagree, and so does Der8auer. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

7 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I respectfully disagree, and so does Der8auer. 

That was the first delidding video I watched. He got a 7 degree improvement and he was only using a 360 rad, plus he didn't even switch to a copper IHS.  I'm expecting closer to double that with lower room ambient, a copper IHS, and 840mm of additional radiator.
That's worth it for me, since I'll be pushing the CPU harder than he did.

9 minutes ago, boxfox said:

That was the first delidding video I watched. He got a 7 degree improvement and he was only using a 360 rad, plus he didn't even switch to a copper IHS.  I'm expecting closer to double that with lower room ambient, a copper IHS, and 840mm of additional radiator.
That's worth it for me, since I'll be pushing the CPU harder than he did.

I don't recommend using a copper IHS, it makes the liquid metal application a bit more short-lasting and needs a re-application (or an over-initial application). You can get the same benefits just by using the stock IHS or even better, lap the stock IHS on the cooler side, so that you still have nickel on the die side.

5 hours ago, For Science! said:

I don't recommend using a copper IHS, it makes the liquid metal application a bit more short-lasting and needs a re-application (or an over-initial application). You can get the same benefits just by using the stock IHS or even better, lap the stock IHS on the cooler side, so that you still have nickel on the die side.

That's interesting, I hadn't heard that it can shorten the lifespan of the thermal compound.  Thanks for that head's up.

Can you please point me to the source of the info so I can do more research?

6 minutes ago, boxfox said:

That's interesting, I hadn't heard that it can shorten the lifespan of the thermal compound.  Thanks for that head's up.

Can you please point me to the source of the info so I can do more research?

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3362-how-liquid-metal-affects-copper-nickel-and-aluminum-corrosion-test

While they conclude that 

Copper is also mostly OK. It will stain with Conductonaut (heavily), but performance remains the same. We have not tested other liquid metals with copper yet.

That's when there was enough applied in the first place, I have definitely seen posts on this forum where enough migration happened to cause a detriment in performance. Colloquially mentioned as liquid metal "drying out", although in reality its more of an absorption like behavour.

4 minutes ago, For Science! said:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3362-how-liquid-metal-affects-copper-nickel-and-aluminum-corrosion-test

While they conclude that 

That's when there was enough applied in the first place, I have definitely seen posts on this forum where enough migration happened to cause a detriment in performance. Colloquially mentioned as liquid metal "drying out", although in reality its more of an absorption like behavour.

That's perfect, I'm actually 1/2 way through that video right now, lol.  Thanks for the input, I'll keep checking it out.

- Intel ISH is copper but nickel plated, so there is not much difference between the aftermarket one and the original, to make better contact with the waterblock you are better off to lap the original IHS

- 5.2 gHz is nice but the performance difference between 5.0 and 5.2 is minimal in real life usage, but the difference in temp is huge. you are better of to keep the original intel IHS without deliding the the CPU and run it at the frequency and voltage that delivers the most comfortable temp of your liking.

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop