Running vm's on server.

Hello guys

I have a lot of VM's spread over 2 computers and wanted to collect them on my server. Now I don't just want to store the files on my server but actually run the VMs on this server (so the VM's would use the CPU and ram from the server).

As virtualization software, I'm using VMware. The only way that I know/have found to do this is if I set up my server as an ESXi host.

My server is currently running Debian and I have already installed a few things on it so I don't really want to change the Os to ESXi.

A solution I was thinking of running ESXi in a docker container but even if this is possible will this solution not extremely hurt the performance of the VM's?

Do you guys know a better solution or has anyone tried this and know a guide that I can follow to achieve this? 

Information about the server:

CPU: 2x Intel® Xeon® Processor X5650

Memory: 9*8GB 1333MHz (72GB)

storage: Currently I have 1 SSD (128GB) and 3HDD's(500GB each)  in the system. The SSD is in raid 0, and the 3 HDD's are in raid5.

Thanks in advance.

esxi is. os, you can't run it in a container.

Id move the current debain install to a vm, and then install debian on the host, or move to a different hypervisor

How re you using raid? Esxi doesn't support software raid

You could use VMWare Workstation Pro...it is $250 for the licence though, compared to ESXi which is free. If you need Debian you could then just P2V that using VMware Converter.  You can use VMWare Converter to migrate VM's from other VMware ESXi / Workstation / Fusion instances as well, its a really powerful tool. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

you can't run esxi in a container, you need a different hypervisor. Since you already have Debian, Redhat's KVM (virt-manager package) is exactly what you need and will do a great job. It installs on top of Linux and can run many VMs with minimal overhead.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

I use Proxmox. Its free and open soruce and runs on Debian. https://www.proxmox.com/en/proxmox-ve

At work I have build a 7 Node Cluster with ZFS. At home I have Proxmox installed on my HTPC + KDE as GUI.

You can check out my blog series about Proxmox: https://daniel-ziegler.com/categories/proxmox-ve/ (german but i guess Google Translate will handle this)

On 8/24/2020 at 12:58 AM, corruptedButterlfy said:

Do you guys know a better solution

Instead of VMware, use KVM (via libvirt) for your VMs? That's what I do on my Ubuntu-servers.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

First of all, thank you guys for all your helpful responses.

I think I'm going to use KVM for my virtual machines but damn proxmox is looking very nice.

If you're going down the KVM path and want a web interface, i'd recommend checking out Cockpit: https://cockpit-project.org/

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

VMware workstation (on windows)  does allow for things like autostart and autopause on shutdown, so it can sort of act like a server.