Another DAC/AMP question.

Right so i have a Modhouse Argon Mk3 on the way soon, ordered 12 weeks ago. Its coming with the balanced XLR cables from periapt so i need a DAC and AMP. (Soundcard on PC is trash. Mobo is itx so no extra slot for an internal card)

My budget is around $500 usd and i want to make the most of it. 

Right now im between the Schiit Jotunheim 3 w/AK4490 DAC or the Monoprice Monolith THX AAA DAC/Amp. Does anyone have experience with both and prefer one over the other? 

Im also open to other suggestions. 

My must haves are:
USB input

Balanced 4pin XLR out

> 1watt of power at 50 ohms. 

Between the 2 amp/dacs I would choose the jot I'm not really a big fan of how thx amp sound and the dac on the monoprice while decent, at this price range not really that great. I would personally try to separate the 2 amp and dac like with the schiit $400 stack the modius and magnius. The magnius will sound cleaner than the jotenheim. And the modius is a better dac. But the jotenheim's timbre and possibly other technicalities but it is a brighter amp than the magnius.

So you think the cheaper $400 stack is better sounding? 

You’ve tried them all i take it? 

25 minutes ago, Sneakyjap said:

So you think the cheaper $400 stack is better sounding? 

You’ve tried them all i take it? 

I haven't tried them all though I did consult a fried who has. I have tried the thx AAA stuff and I really struggle to enjoy them personally. He thinks the amps are a toss up. In quality but the modius is better than the built in dac In the jot.  

11 hours ago, Sneakyjap said:

Right so i have a Modhouse Argon Mk3 on the way soon, ordered 12 weeks ago. Its coming with the balanced XLR cables from periapt so i need a DAC and AMP. (Soundcard on PC is trash. Mobo is itx so no extra slot for an internal card)

My budget is around $500 usd and i want to make the most of it. 

Right now im between the Schiit Jotunheim 3 w/AK4490 DAC or the Monoprice Monolith THX AAA DAC/Amp. Does anyone have experience with both and prefer one over the other? 

Im also open to other suggestions. 

My must haves are:
USB input

Balanced 4pin XLR out

> 1watt of power at 50 ohms. 

I'd suggest against Schiit's internal dac cards. They simply don't resolve well enough. Also, the Jot and THX amps kind of have a similar sound.

THX sounds better when paired with R2R or multibit in my opinion, not so much with delta sigma. 

Thanks for the input everyone. I think i may end up going with the $400 magnius/modius stack. Sounds like that will sound much better than most for a cheaper price. 

• 1 year later...

Hi Sneakyjap,

I am in the same situation, I have Modhouse Argon Mk3, and I am looking for the best amp and dac for the headphones,

I just wanted to ask you, did the magnius/modius stack preform well with Modhouse Argon Mk3 or not?

Please let me know if you can, I will appreciate it.

14 minutes ago, Logan Aaron said:

Hi Sneakyjap,

I am in the same situation, I have Modhouse Argon Mk3, and I am looking for the best amp and dac for the headphones,

I just wanted to ask you, did the magnius/modius stack preform well with Modhouse Argon Mk3 or not?

Please let me know if you can, I will appreciate it.

Not who you want an answer from..but I will let you know the magnius will be enough power for the argon. Pairing wise it should be fine. 

4 hours ago, rice guru said:

Not who you want an answer from..but I will let you know the magnius will be enough power for the argon. Pairing wise it should be fine. 

oh ok,

Thank you rice guru for your reply

11 minutes ago, Logan Aaron said:

oh ok,

Thank you rice guru for your reply

I will follow up that personally I like the asgard more plus the modi vs the magnius modius stack. Cause that stack doesn't really sound much better than a magni modi. But if your dead set in magnius modius it's fine especially if you want to run balanced

Hi rice guru.

So after a long search , I am conflicting between magnius modius stack and the jot, 

the reason why I ended up with these two, because I need balanced amp and dac for the headphones, since a balanced output will deliver more power, and I need all the power I can get for the headphones, 

Also when it come to the sound experience I care a lot about bass and warm sound more the clear or bright sound.

What do you recommend out of those two?

And if you have any amp recommendations around the $400 that meets these requirements, I will be happy to take them into consideration.

Thank you.