LSI 9260-8i Driver Installation Issues

A while ago I haphazardly bought a LSI Logic SAS9260-8I, since I planned on using it in something that didn't pan out.  It came as a bare card, so no driver CD or guide.  I installed it into my second x16 slot and connected a sas to 4 sata cable to the first sas port.  It's connected to four old SATA drives I wanted to play around with, since they're not doing anything and they're healthy.  Once I booted into windows though, all I get is 4 unknown devices in the device manager.  I found the newest drivers on the broadcom website, but Windows won't recognize them when I attempt to update the driver.  Anyone ever run into an issue like this?  I can't find much online, and I'm stumped.  I'm on Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 2004, os build 20190.1000.  Is it possible this build of windows isn't a fan of the card?  Seems like people on this forum were able to get similar cards running on 2004.  Worst case I have two sata slots vacant, so I could just use those for now, but I really am stumped and want to get this thing working, even if I end up taking it out.  I'm new to this kind of hardware, so if there's something you'd think is obvious, don't hesitate to mention it.  Thanks in advance.

Rig:
Asus Tuf x570 Gaming-Plus
Ryzen 3600
evga 2060 xc black
Asus Wifi 6 pcie card
(included the last two, just in case it could be a cause of the issues)

Screenshot 2020-08-21 032327.png

11 minutes ago, metaleggman said:

It's connected to four old SATA drives I wanted to play around with, since they're not doing anything and they're healthy.

If you just wanted to use the card as a simple SATA-expansion card, you bought the wrong card for that. The LSI 9260 doesn't support IT-mode. To setup RAID, you need to enter the card's built-in BIOS-utility at boot -- http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/3rd-party/lsi/mrsas/userguide/LSI_MR_SAS_SW_UG.pdf might be useful for you.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

11 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

If you just wanted to use the card as a simple SATA-expansion card, you bought the wrong card for that. The LSI 9260 doesn't support IT-mode.

Well that sure as heck helps narrow it down, but why isn't the card being properly recognized at all?  I can't seem to setup any sort of raid or anything.  Would I need to boot into the card to set this up (?), as I've heard people discuss in the past?  Two of the drives are the same size, so I wouldn't care if I had to set them up in RAID 0.  Or does this card really have a completely different purpose that I'm simply unaware of?

4 minutes ago, metaleggman said:

Would I need to boot into the card to set this up (?), as I've heard people discuss in the past?

Yes, or you need to install MegaRAID-software under Windows. (I have no personal experience with these cards or the software, so I can't give any specific instructions. That said, it should be reasonably self-explanatory) The keycombo to enter the card's BIOS is probably Ctrl+H.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Alright cool, that definitely puts me in the right direction.  Thanks for the help, but if anyone else sees this and can offer further advice, please do.  I'm still having an issue really figuring out any of this, which is somewhat surprising to me.  The MegaRAID Storage Manager just seems to be trying to find a remote server, but I can't find the actual server software on the Broadcom website.  Aiya, if anyone knows a good guide on setting up megaraid hardware/softare for windows, don't hesitate to drop a link...

On 8/21/2020 at 8:51 PM, metaleggman said:

Alright cool, that definitely puts me in the right direction.  Thanks for the help, but if anyone else sees this and can offer further advice, please do.  I'm still having an issue really figuring out any of this, which is somewhat surprising to me.  The MegaRAID Storage Manager just seems to be trying to find a remote server, but I can't find the actual server software on the Broadcom website.  Aiya, if anyone knows a good guide on setting up megaraid hardware/softare for windows, don't hesitate to drop a link...

Just to double check, when you boot the computer, do you see the MegaRAID LSI BIOS show up at all? You should see the LSI MegaRAID BIOS pop up during boot and initialize devices.

On 8/21/2020 at 10:23 PM, metaleggman said:

Asus Tuf x570 Gaming-Plus

This is a known thing, those unknown devices have probably been there for a while....try installing these:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570  << AMD Chipset Driver

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/03CHIPSET/DRV_Chipset_AMD_AM4_19H1_SZ_TSD_W10_64_VER191016_20190701R.zip?_ga=2.46999779.556531965.1564141122-1355952396.1562613202  << Asus Chipset Driver

As for the issue, you'll probably find under Device Manager you should see the LSI Controller under "Storage Controllers"

As others pointed out already, configure your RAID either in the MegaRaid BIOS at boot, or in Windows using MegaRaid Storage Manager (MSM): https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/megaraid-storage-manager-v17050201-microsoft-windows-ibm-systems

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2020 at 6:26 AM, scottyseng said:

Just to double check, when you boot the computer, do you see the MegaRAID LSI BIOS show up at all? You should see the LSI MegaRAID BIOS pop up during boot and initialize devices.

Shoot, didn't see notifications until now.  Nope, I never did, so I'm guessing its just a chipset incompatibility.

On 8/25/2020 at 4:18 PM, Jarsky said:

This is a known thing, those unknown devices have probably been there for a while....try installing these:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570  << AMD Chipset Driver

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/03CHIPSET/DRV_Chipset_AMD_AM4_19H1_SZ_TSD_W10_64_VER191016_20190701R.zip?_ga=2.46999779.556531965.1564141122-1355952396.1562613202  << Asus Chipset Driver

As for the issue, you'll probably find under Device Manager you should see the LSI Controller under "Storage Controllers"

As others pointed out already, configure your RAID either in the MegaRaid BIOS at boot, or in Windows using MegaRaid Storage Manager (MSM): https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/megaraid-storage-manager-v17050201-microsoft-windows-ibm-systems

I'll keep this in mind if I end up trying to use it again.  Already gave up and took it out of my rig haha.  Oh well.  Thanks you guys.