Best option for High reliability storage

falconmick

Hi All

I've been doing some digging into what would be a good replacement WD 2TB Black which is starting to get bad sectors.This drive is used for excessively sized applications/games that dont fit on my boot drive. I was thinking about just getting another, perhapse 4tb instead, however I've found for not much more I could get a 2TB SSD. This would allow me to get that lovely SSD performance boost and maybe? better reliability.

However this is where I am not sure as the info out there is mixed. What I wan above all else is reliability. I have backups, however they are partial as I dont want to pay to store my software + I dont have enough excess storage to backup images locally. Therefore when the drive is corrupt there is a process of cateloging what I'm loosing, restoring files from backups and re-downloading software. Therefore I would really like a drive that will last as long as possible so I can avoid this annoying restore process.

Out of the following drives, which would likely last longer:

1. Crucial MX500 2TB SATA 2.5" 7mm SSD
  2. Samsung 860 EVO Series 2.5" 7mm 2TB SSD
  3. Seagate Barracuda 120 2.5" 2TB SATA SSD
  4. WD Black WD4005FZBX 3.5" 4TB 256MB 7200RPM Desktop HDD

OR what are the HDD's you all would recomend for daily use that is mostly read + storage? The above is just at my local shop which makes it easier for me

Thanks in advance!

Id get the ssd for performnace, look at nvme ones aswell if you have a m.2 slot.

Have backups to prevent data loss, there is no super reliable drive, they will all fail randomly.

12 minutes ago, falconmick said:

better reliability.

a NAS?

Will give you redundancy, which is a way to increase reliability because it's not a single point of failure  (speaking of the drives, not the NAS unit itself, for those that wish to pick nits)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

10 minutes ago, falconmick said:

Hi All

I've been doing some digging into what would be a good replacement WD 2TB Black which is starting to get bad sectors.This drive is used for excessively sized applications/games that dont fit on my boot drive. I was thinking about just getting another, perhapse 4tb instead, however I've found for not much more I could get a 2TB SSD. This would allow me to get that lovely SSD performance boost and maybe? better reliability.

However this is where I am not sure as the info out there is mixed. What I wan above all else is reliability. I have backups, however they are partial as I dont want to pay to store my software + I dont have enough excess storage to backup images locally. Therefore when the drive is corrupt there is a process of cateloging what I'm loosing, restoring files from backups and re-downloading software. Therefore I would really like a drive that will last as long as possible so I can avoid this annoying restore process.

Out of the following drives, which would likely last longer:

1. Crucial MX500 2TB SATA 2.5" 7mm SSD
  2. Samsung 860 EVO Series 2.5" 7mm 2TB SSD
  3. Seagate Barracuda 120 2.5" 2TB SATA SSD
  4. WD Black WD4005FZBX 3.5" 4TB 256MB 7200RPM Desktop HDD

OR what are the HDD's you all would recomend for daily use that is mostly read + storage? The above is just at my local shop which makes it easier for me

Thanks in advance!

ssd is more reliable than hdds because hdds are mostly mechanical so a physical damage more likely to destroy them, but they are more cheaper. if you have the budget go with ssd if speed is not of your main req go with high performance hdd like wd black but he is pretty noisy....

2 hours ago, gilad123gamer said:

ssd is more reliable than hdds because hdds are mostly mechanical so a physical damage more likely to destroy them, but they are more cheaper. if you have the budget go with ssd if speed is not of your main req go with high performance hdd like wd black but he is pretty noisy....

Pretty sure HDDs are significantly more reliable than SSDs. HDDs will tell you when they start breaking down while SSDs just die. Also consumer data recovery services can't often help you with SSDs while there are some things they can do for HDDs

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

27 minutes ago, LtStaffel said:

Pretty sure HDDs are significantly more reliable than SSDs. HDDs will tell you when they start breaking down while SSDs just die. Also consumer data recovery services can't often help you with SSDs while there are some things they can do for HDDs

oh, that is new to me, i never had problem with ssd so i thought they are more reliable. thank you for correcting me. :)

46 minutes ago, LtStaffel said:

SSD are way more reliable than hdds on average. Just a lot less failures due to mechincal issues.

SSDs will also report isues, but both hdds and ssds can fail with no warning.

Lots of reports of companies switches from hdds to ssd in desktops and having much fewer issues.

5 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

SSD are way more reliable than hdds on average. Just a lot less failures due to mechincal issues.

SSDs will also report isues, but both hdds and ssds can fail with no warning.

Lots of reports of companies switches from hdds to ssd in desktops and having much fewer issues.

But all major storage datacenters use HDDs? We're talking about a server here, not a desktop. The only thing SSDs have over HDDs in a server is lack of vibrations

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

1 minute ago, LtStaffel said:

But all major storage datacenters use HDDs? We're talking about a server here, not a desktop. The only thing SSDs have over HDDs in a server is lack of vibrations

Datacenters use a lot of ssds too, there much faster.

Data centers use hdds cause there cheaper, not more reliable.

Also this is for a desktop not a server, so way different workload.

ALso google had a stuff to look at ssd vs hdd reliable in the datacenter, ssds were more reliable. https://www.zdnet.com/article/ssd-reliability-in-the-real-world-googles-experience/

10 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

a NAS?

Will give you redundancy, which is a way to increase reliability because it's not a single point of failure  (speaking of the drives, not the NAS unit itself, for those that wish to pick nits)

A NAS is in the works, but this is for applications that I use daily + photo editing.

I think I’ll either go el cheapo with a 2tb black spinner or I might just go an SSD with 5 year warrenty as I’m unlikely to hit the write limits they have 

24 minutes ago, falconmick said:

I think I’ll either go el cheapo with a 2tb black spinner or I might just go an SSD with 5 year warrenty as I’m unlikely to hit the write limits they have

dont focus on reliability, focus on  backups.

Id probably get a cheaper hdd, the wd blacks seem very expensive for what they are

35 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

dont focus on reliability, focus on  backups.

Id probably get a cheaper hdd, the wd blacks seem very expensive for what they are

Basically cheaper than an ssd but faster than a green, I want always spinning drive, I’ve always had a ssd boot, black overfill for large apps that can’t fit on ssd then a few cheaper drives (greens) for storage

2 minutes ago, falconmick said:

Basically cheaper than an ssd but faster than a green, I want always spinning drive, I’ve always had a ssd boot, black overfill for large apps that can’t fit on ssd then a few cheaper drives (greens) for storage

The 2tb wd black just doesn't seem like a good option

The 4tb barracuda is faster(bigger drives are faster), and you get more space.

The 2tb firecuda is faster as its cached(or get a cheap drive + ssd for cache)

Or if you want a high end drve, get a wd gold(about the same price, better drive), or barracuda pro(cheaper, same perf)