I7-10700K clock down base frequency

Go to solution Solved by Haro,

well at idle the cpu wont be at 3.8, it will clock down to save power. 

if you're just gaming, get a 10600k as it's just as good. 

10 hours ago, davidst95 said:

due to the lower base clock and energy savings

if you need it to draw less power, you could under volt the K. and they're better binned and might achieve a better under volt.

Hi, I'm looking at purchasing the I7-10700 and the I7-10700K.   I am interested in the I7-10700 due to the lower base clock and energy savings but I also like the K version if I ever decided I need the extra speed.   Is it possible to down clock the base frequency of the K(3.8Ghz) version to that of the non-K(2.9 Ghz)  and still turbo boost to the normal levels?  I hope this makes sense.   Thanks.

David

well at idle the cpu wont be at 3.8, it will clock down to save power. 

if you're just gaming, get a 10600k as it's just as good. 

10 hours ago, davidst95 said:

due to the lower base clock and energy savings

if you need it to draw less power, you could under volt the K. and they're better binned and might achieve a better under volt.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

I think so, all you have to do is lower the multiplyer sto 29. Not sure about the the boost.

If you wanna save some electric bills, go with ryzen 3700x. no downclocking needed.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Thanks for the replies.    I think I'll go with the K version and try to play around with the volts and multipliers.   I was looking at the 3700X but I need the integrated GPU with the setup I'm building.

David

1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

Agree with @SupaKomputa (great name by the way) here.

It's not only cheaper and draws less power, but in basically everything other than gaming, it performs better as well.

You think you can wait for a bit for AMD to launch Zen 3? It's their next gen CPUs which will make a big difference in performance.

That's a good idea about the Zen 3 coming out.   I'm looking for a 8-core CPU with a iGPU.   Hopefully AMD will come out with something similar like the new I7.

3 minutes ago, davidst95 said:

Thanks for the replies.    I think I'll go with the K version and try to play around with the volts and multipliers.   I was looking at the 3700X but I need the integrated GPU with the setup I'm building.

David

@BlueScope819 thanks!

what do you want to do with the igpu? that level of performance can be had with a cheap used $10 card.

Or you can wait for Ryzen 4700G with the integrated vega gpu and 8 cores.

It's already annouced but you can't have it yet, maybe in christmas.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w