Windows Defender blocking port 25565

boey
Go to solution Solved by boey,

@Skipple @DakotaWebber

Someone on reddit suggested I check my network profile, and sure enough it was set to 'Public', which is why the firewall blocked a lot of connections. Changing it to 'Private' fixed everything. Thanks for the help though! :)

So I was port forwarding to set up my minecraft server, and everything went well but I couldn't connect. Third party websites say that the port 25565 is closed on my IP.

I turned off Windows Defender Firewall on the server PC, and the port was open according to the third party website, and my friends and I could connect, which suggests the port forward was successful but the firewall was blocking the connection.

So, I tried adding a new rule to the firewall to let port 25565(on both UDP and TCP, and both inbound and outbound). Doesn't work. Firewall Logs still show the connection being dropped after the new rules are set.

Am I doing anything wrong? 

3 minutes ago, Skipple said:

Did you open the port on your router?

If you mean port forwarded(on the router settings website), then yes. I could connect to the server through local and public IP, but only when windows defender firewall was turned off on the server PC. Third party websites show the port as open when the firewall is off.

Firewall logs show dropped connections in the same port everytime I try to connect to the server

Why not just turn windows firewall off, it detects the new edge as a virus (woops thats defender lol)

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

1 minute ago, DakotaWebber said:

Why not just turn windows firewall off, it detects the new edge as a virus

gg microsoft

Considered that, but in all seriousness, is this a good idea?

Your router will most likely have its own firewall for blocking ports, hence the whole process of setting it up to allow 25565 through, unless youre handing your ip out to everyone and downloading some sketchy things you will be fine

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

Just now, DakotaWebber said:

Your router will most likely have its own firewall for blocking ports, hence the whole process of setting it up to allow 25565 through, unless youre handing your ip out to everyone and downloading some sketchy things you will be fine

Since my minecraft server is running on a separate PC, as long as I don't download anything on it I should be fine right?

I usually download server packs etc. on my PC, then transfer them over through a thumbdrive anyway.

Just now, boey said:

Since my minecraft server is running on a separate PC, as long as I don't download anything on it I should be fine right?

I usually download server packs etc. on my PC, then transfer them over through a thumbdrive anyway.

If it's just a server you use and no one else connects to it, you can always completely block the PC from accessing the internet in your router.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

Just now, Skipple said:

If it's just a server you use and no one else connects to it, you can always completely block the PC from accessing the internet in your router.

A bunch of friends(trusted friends) usually connect to it, so I think that should be fine. Thanks for the help

@Skipple @DakotaWebber

Someone on reddit suggested I check my network profile, and sure enough it was set to 'Public', which is why the firewall blocked a lot of connections. Changing it to 'Private' fixed everything. Thanks for the help though! :)

@boey This is a completely unrelated post but i made an account to just say thank you for helping fix a problem with discord issues with output volume cutting out, and your suggested turning off echo cancellation and noise reduction. it was the fix for me now i sound crisp! thanks man!!!

On 8/20/2020 at 9:41 PM, xChief1 said:

@boey This is a completely unrelated post but i made an account to just say thank you for helping fix a problem with discord issues with output volume cutting out, and your suggested turning off echo cancellation and noise reduction. it was the fix for me now i sound crisp! thanks man!!!

You're welcome! Also, did you get that from an old post of mine? Don't remember troubleshooting any Discord-related issue recently