Do i have to use usb/sata motherboard ports in order?

Go to solution Solved by BobVonBob,
2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Short answer, no. 

Long answer, if you want the best performance, you would want to keep track of which SATA ports you're using and make sure those are using the native SATA lanes. 

SATA is slow enough and chipsets are fast enough that native vs chipset SATA doesn't matter anymore.

Hi, 

I'm building my pc and I can see that some of my devices cannot be plugged in the first USB port or first sata port due to cable shape. Is it OK to use Sata port 4 etc and not use any other sata ports before it? - also can I use usb port 2 and not use port 1 as my wraith cooler rgb USB can reach to number 2 only. 

I hope you get what I mean. 

9 minutes ago, JellyBurger676 said:

Hi, 

I'm building my pc and I can see that some of my devices cannot be plugged in the first USB port or first sata port due to cable shape. Is it OK to use Sata port 4 etc and not use any other sata ports before it? - also can I use usb port 2 and not use port 1 as my wraith cooler rgb USB can reach to number 2 only. 

Short answer, no. 

Long answer, if you want the best performance, you would want to keep track of which SATA ports you're using and make sure those are using the native SATA lanes. Some boards have additional SATA ports that run off a separate controller which tend to be slower and have higher latency. So those are not ideal for SSDs but servicable for HDDs and CD/DVD/Blu-Ray drives.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

11 minutes ago, JellyBurger676 said:

Hi, 

It's completely fine.

2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Short answer, no. 

Long answer, if you want the best performance, you would want to keep track of which SATA ports you're using and make sure those are using the native SATA lanes. 

SATA is slow enough and chipsets are fast enough that native vs chipset SATA doesn't matter anymore.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11