Second-hand Oculus Rifts and Rifts in general...

Hi,
So my name is Ollie and I'm 14, soon to be 15 on the 15th of august. Basically, in short, i got a job in February and built myself a PC with a Ryzen 7 3700x and a 2070s and 16gb of RAM at the start of lockdown in the UK. I was looking at Oculus Rifts for my birthday and they are way too expensive for the budget that my birthday will allow me! So i hopped onto eBay and was surprised to see all these rifts called "CV1" for sale for around the £150+ mark! These seem really good value to a VR noob like me that knows NOTHING about VR. Now i have been told that they can have a whole ton of issues that you can't just see from photos on eBay. Also is there some sought of a problem with the CV1 unit because there are loads for sale even with controllers. I will leave a link to one of the many eBay listings so you can see for yourselves what I'm talking about: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oculus-Rift-Virtual-Reality-Headset-With-Two-Sensors-And-Two-Touch-Controlers/143677769496?epid=831392616&hash=item2173dcc718:g:91oAAOSwcQNfLsTS
Now I'm not very experienced with VR at all so feel free to call me an idiot in the comments below if i am saying completely the wrong stuff. This is just what i understand at the moment:
For VR you need obviously a PC, a Headset, Controllers and these sought of camera things that get your location? So how many of the camera things do i need for good tracking?

(Sorry for the long post!)
So these are all my questions:
  1. Will my PC run VR decently demanding VR games?
2. Should i buy secondhand, if so what am i checking for to make sure the unit is fine?
3. What headset do you recommend to buy secondhand?
4. What are the advantages of a "new" Rift s over older models? (I don't mind saving longer for a new one be honest!)
5. How much space in my room do i need for the vast majority of games?
6. Does VR have a good game library, is it worth it? (I don't mind different genres except for really scary horror)
7. Is there going to be a new rift soon, Should i wait a couple of months for the newer model?
8. What is the average VR game price?
9. What extra things do i need to get up and running? (camera's, controllers?) (A new Rift s comes with controllers but what about the camera things)

In England, I will be having examinations at around the late spring next year so i won't be able to use it much before then so i really don't mind waiting until summer 2021 will a new model be out by then? Again I don't know how frequently they come out so maybe a new one will be out by then?

Finally, if anyone replies to this, I would like to say a massive thank you to you as I am clearly incompetent and really need help in my understanding of this product category.

This is my first time on the forum so if I have done ANYTHING wrong do not hesitate to tell me off!

Many thanks once again,
                                   Ollie

1. Yes.

2. Buy secondhand if you want, check that there's no obvious damage (cracked controllers, broken lenses) but you should be able to get your money back through ebay if something invisible is broken like a burnt out display.

3. The original Rift or the original HTC Vive.

4. No external devices for tracking, this means you don't need a third camera for roomscale VR, but it also means that the controllers are only tracked when they're visible to the headset.

5. 2m x 2m is generally a safe bet, plus somewhere to put cameras if you're using the original Rift. Some sitting VR games you can get away with any space you could fit a chair, but those aren't really the VR experience I suspect you're looking for.

6. There's a decent selection out there right now, and it's growing all the time.

7. Who knows, but my money would be on no.

8. Generally the same as other games, if anything they lean cheaper than traditional games.

9. Whatever it comes with. An Oculus Rift CV1 will need a third camera placed behind your play area if you want to do roomscale (turning around) but that's not a total deal breaker and many games have workarounds for it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

i don;t recommend "dv1" as its an unsupported developer model. vr is constantly being upgraded, so i don't recommend older models as they are more problematic, and can't do as much, or perform as well as a newer model. as far as used, i don't see an issue with it as long as you sanitize it well, and it is in good shape. your pc will definitely run any vr game just fine. as far as game library, there is a decent amount of games available, but only a few, imo, that are worth buying vr for. mainly half life alyx, pavlov, beat saber, saints and sinners, and a few im forgetting.

edit: meant "CV1" lol

22 minutes ago, Ollie Oldrey said:

Will my PC run VR decently demanding VR games

Hell yeah.

22 minutes ago, Ollie Oldrey said:

3. What headset do you recommend to buy secondhand?

Depends on your second hand market

23 minutes ago, Ollie Oldrey said:

Should i buy secondhand, if so what am i checking for to make sure the unit is fine?

Make sure it pairs with contolers, and he screens are fine.

24 minutes ago, Ollie Oldrey said:

What are the advantages of a "new" Rift s over older models? (I don't mind saving longer for a new one be honest!)

https://blog.irisvr.com/oculus-rift-vs-rift-s-should-you-upgrade

24 minutes ago, Ollie Oldrey said:

. How much space in my room do i need for the vast majority of games?

around 2x2m

25 minutes ago, Ollie Oldrey said:

Does VR have a good game library, is it worth it? (I don't mind different genres except for really scary horror

Pretty good. Ive heard alyx is cool.

26 minutes ago, Ollie Oldrey said:

What is the average VR game price?

60-30 us

26 minutes ago, Ollie Oldrey said:

What extra things do i need to get up and running? (camera's, controllers?) (A new Rift s comes with controllers but what about the camera things)

Rift S doesnt need them

27 minutes ago, Ollie Oldrey said:

This is my first time on the forum so if I have done ANYTHING wrong do not hesitate to tell me off!

I believe VR goes in pc gaming, but i may be mistaken. Welcome to the fourms.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

i don;t recommend "dv1" as its an unsupported developer model. vr is constantly being upgraded, so i don't recommend older models as they are more problematic, and can't do as much, or perform as well as a newer model. as far as used, i don't see an issue with it as long as you sanitize it well, and it is in good shape. your pc will definitely run any vr game just fine. as far as game library, there is a decent amount of games available, but only a few, imo, that are worth buying vr for. mainly half life alyx, pavlov, beat saber, saints and sinners, and a few im forgetting.

It's CV1, which is the first consumer model. It's a solid choice for a second hand headset.

Factor in new replacement padding for the headset when buying used.  Not just for the sanitary reasons but mostly for comfort and fit, the old padding will be packed down to the previous users face.

Buying new padding is actually a thing??? hmm, never thought of that... I'll have to look into getting a CV1 model if I can find one for cheap... Assuming it might play half-life Alyx... I would definitely use a valve controller if I had one but yeah them things on the whole are expensive

31 minutes ago, Wiebenor said:

Buying new padding is actually a thing??? hmm, never thought of that... I'll have to look into getting a CV1 model if I can find one for cheap... Assuming it might play half-life Alyx... I would definitely use a valve controller if I had one but yeah them things on the whole are expensive

Yeah I got a set from VR cover. They're still available for the original Rift. Very nice upgrade, but of course does add a bit to the price.