my R9 370 seems to be tripping over-current protection

ScubaSteve404

i recently got an XFX R9 370 off aliexpress and used it for a little while but yesterday ther was some minor artifacting on desktop and minutes after that the entire system shut off. i still have the card i was using before it and the system will power on and pass post with that card installed but will instantly shut off if the 370 is installed. does this mean theres something like a dead short to gound through the core or is it just trying to draw too many volts/amps/watts? the card appears to be in excelent physical condition, the thermal paste is 100% still paste, probably applied by the seller.

is it possible for after burning for afterburner to put a graphics card into a "soft lock" like state where the card will try to run too hot/hard and trigger OCP and is the 12v graphics/add in card power connector supposed to fluctuatye up much? can i check the condition of the core by checking resistance?

What power supply are you using? OCP is from the PSU so to be able to answer if OCP is tripping we would need to know the details of your PSU.

Since the card was artifacting before shutting down I would say it's more likely you got a dead card.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

What psu?

also since the card is artifacting, use ddu and if you have any overclock get rid of it, if that did not help, it's probably a dying card.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

15 minutes ago, Spotty said:

What power supply are you using? OCP is from the PSU so to be able to answer if OCP is tripping we would need to know the details of your PSU.

Since the card was artifacting before shutting down I would say it's more likely you got a dead card.

9 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

What psu?

also since the card is artifacting, use ddu and if you have any overclock get rid of it, if that did not help, it's probably a dying card.

this is what im hoping i don't have but the system doesn't even turn on for a second when the card is installed, is it possible that because i was using afterburner its trying to draw more than my corsair cx 750m can dish out and not realizing it/reseting itself because it on for maybe a forth of

a second at most? if i got an accurate messurment when i try to turn the system on with the card installed the power connector jumps to almost 14v but i couldn't get an amperage measurement

10 hours ago, ScubaSteve404 said:

i was using afterburner its trying to draw more than my corsair cx 750m can dish out

is this the green label cx?  if so that's an old subpart unit. 

and get rid of any sort of overclock. also try ddu and check if helps with artifacting.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

11 minutes ago, ScubaSteve404 said:

is it possible that because i was using afterburner its trying to draw more than my corsair cx 750m can dish out and not realizing it/reseting itself because it on for maybe a forth of

a second at most?

It's extremely unlikely you would trip OCP on a 750W PSU with the R9 370, not unless something else was wrong with the PSU/card/system. The power draw from a R9 370 is relatively low (around 125W iirc).

Try booting the system without the R9 370 installed.

13 minutes ago, ScubaSteve404 said:

if i got an accurate messurment when i try to turn the system on with the card installed the power connector jumps to almost 14v but i couldn't get an amperage measurement

How are you measuring the voltage? If you're using a multimeter then unplug the PSU from the system and try using the paperclip trick to start the PSU and measure the voltage then. If you have them plug in a couple of molex fans to give some load on the PSU.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

18 hours ago, Spotty said:

It's extremely unlikely you would trip OCP on a 750W PSU with the R9 370, not unless something else was wrong with the PSU/card/system. The power draw from a R9 370 is relatively low (around 125W iirc).

Try booting the system without the R9 370 installed.

the system seems to boot fine with my "fall back" card and voltages seem fine, except for when the R9 370 is installed. for the maybe quarter second the machine turns on the voltage spikes past 12v on the solder joints under the 6 pin 12v input and the highest it went the last i checked it was almost 14v

is it possible that indicates a dead short to ground through the core or VRM of the card?