Scrapyard Wars 7 Formula

IAmAFrenchFry

So, I was watching the second-to-most-current season of scrapyard wars today, and if you don’t recall, this was the one where they had CAD$2000, and they had to build the best bang-for-the-buck gaming pc.

At the end of the finale, Linus inputs the benchmark scores and price into an excel spreadsheet to calculate the score and the score per price. Does anyone know the formulas used to calculate these? I would like to see my PC’s bang-for-the-buck, and also you can’t deny that putting numbers into a spreadsheet and having it plop out other numbers isn’t satisfying.

Thanks, and sorry if this isn’t the place for this thread; I don’t know where else to put it.

It was probably the benchmark score divided by the price.

9 minutes ago, Darpyface said:

It was probably the benchmark score divided by the price.

I don’t mean to be rude, but did you check the vid?

A. 300 / 770 is not 39

B. How is the benchmark score calculated

3 minutes ago, IAmAFrenchFry said:

I don’t mean to be rude, but did you check the vid?

A. 300 / 770 is not 39

B. How is the benchmark score calculated

I haven't watched the video but 300/770 is .389 which rounds up to .39 which, when multiplied by 100 or represented as a percentage, is 39. So whether or not that's how they calculated it, that does work out just fine.

2 minutes ago, IAmAFrenchFry said:

300 / 770 is not 39

Just now, theninja35 said:

I haven't watched the video but 300/770 is .389 which rounds up to .39 which, multiplied by 100 or represented as a percentage, is 39. So whether or not that's how they calculated it, that does work out just fine.

I apologize for not thinking of it as a percentage @Darpyface, and additionally @theninja35, do you know what the score to be divided by the price would be (in this case, how would you get the 300 from 668 (cinebench), 13519 (3dmark), and 147.78 (fortnite))?

I just messed around in Google Sheets a bit and I think I figured it out.

The number score is basically the percentage of the maximum score of the machines. Each section has a maximum of 100 for a maximum of 300 over 3 sections. The maximum score is set to be the highest score in that section and the others are the percentage of that number. For example, the cinebench scores. Linus got 668 and Luke got 299. So Linus got 100 for that and Luke got 44.76 because 668 was the highest score and 299 is 44.76% of 668.

They did that to all three sections and added them together to get a total final score. They then divided that by the price to get the score per price.

This means that you cannot use the formula for your computer because it determines price to performance relative to other computers and not for a single machine.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

4 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

I just messed around in Google Sheets a bit and I think I figured it out.

The number score is basically the percentage of the maximum score of the machines. Each section has a maximum of 100 for a maximum of 300 over 3 sections. The maximum score is set to be the highest score in that section and the others are the percentage of that number. For example, the cinebench scores. Linus got 668 and Luke got 299. So Linus got 100 for that and Luke got 44.76 because 668 was the highest score and 299 is 44.76% of 668.

They did that to all three sections and added them together to get a total final score. They then divided that by the price to get the score per price.

This means that you cannot use the formula for your computer because it determines price to performance relative to other computers and not for a single machine.

Could you tell me the exact formula you used to get the score (like whatever “=...” thing you typed into the Google Sheets cell?

16 minutes ago, IAmAFrenchFry said:

Could you tell me the exact formula you used to get the score (like whatever “=...” thing you typed into the Google Sheets cell?

Here is a link to the google sheet I setup. They way I set mine to round shows lukes as 39.2 instead of 39.1 but that is just a difference in the way they rounded. And I set the link so when you view it youre anonymous so you dont have to worry about other people being able to see your gmail account.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Rs6Z6YLZANSUaj7nxLOMT4YmLmZhR360HQI6EEGF6Zk/edit?usp=sharing

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

@IAmAFrenchFry did that link work for you or would you prefer a screenshot of the entire thing with the formulas written in here?

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

8 hours ago, zeusthemoose said:

@IAmAFrenchFry did that link work for you or would you prefer a screenshot of the entire thing with the formulas written in here?

Nope, the link was perfect. Thanks for your help!