Video Compression

Go to solution Solved by Mihle,
15 minutes ago, Wictorian said:

Yeah the only problem is I dont know how

If you dont care about quality:

Get a program like Handbrake
Put it to MP4 and h264.
Choose resolution and FPS you want.
Drag the quality slider to some higher number for smaller files, OR set an average bitrate.
Press start Encode and wait.
When you are finished you can look at the video on how the quality and its file size, maybe then you want to go back and change some settings mentioned above.

Use a program like Handbrake, then chose the codec you want and the settings you want.

What do you want to do?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

use h.264 or h.265 compression routine  

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

what kind of usage?

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

4 minutes ago, Wictorian said:

I will upload them to youtube (mp4) Youtube already compresses them so I wanna do it beforehand to save data since my internet sucks.

@Acid Panda @mahyar @handymanshandle @Mihle

I think that youtube will do things with the video anyway, and I dont think anyone knows exactly what compression setting youtube Uses. So its bad idea if you care about quality. And if you dont then you can do whatever you want anyway.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 

-Stephen Hawking

Just now, Mihle said:

I think that youtube will do things with the video anyway, and I dont think anyone knows exactly what compression setting youtube does, so bad idea if you care about quality. And if you dont then you can do whatever you want anyway.

@Wictorian are you limited by how much data you can use or by the speed of the upload. if its the latter I would just allow it to take the time to upload and not suffer a quality hit. but if you are you will need to research which of the compression routines affect the product the least but reduces the file size the most

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

4 minutes ago, Wictorian said:

I will upload them to youtube (mp4) Youtube already compresses them so I wanna do it beforehand to save data since my internet sucks.

(I dont wanna decrease the resolution or something)

YouTube automatically re-encodes anything you shove in its uploader, so rather than worrying about trying to compress to YouTube standards, worry about compressing a video to the best of your hardware's ability while also keeping decent quality and bitrate.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

15 minutes ago, Wictorian said:

If you dont care about quality:

Get a program like Handbrake
Put it to MP4 and h264.
Choose resolution and FPS you want.
Drag the quality slider to some higher number for smaller files, OR set an average bitrate.
Press start Encode and wait.
When you are finished you can look at the video on how the quality and its file size, maybe then you want to go back and change some settings mentioned above.

-Stephen Hawking

I am limited by the time but it takes 40+ hours to upload 2 hours of footage.

Guys I am not asking for the best process, I just dont know anything about video compression, do I need to install a software? HOw do I do it? That is my question.

1 minute ago, Wictorian said:

I am limited by the time but it takes 40+ hours to upload 2 hours of footage.

Guys I am not asking for the best process, I just dont know anything about video compression, do I need to install a software? HOw do I do it? That is my question.

What is your internet speed, what is your goal upload time?

You can use handbrake as said before. But there is a few variables, basically in simple terms, as file size gets smaller, quality gets worse. You can get the same quality with the same filesize, but it takes longer to compress.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What is your internet speed, what is your goal upload time?

You can use handbrake as said before. But there is a few variables, basically in simple terms, as file size gets smaller, quality gets worse. You can get the same quality with the same filesize, but it takes longer to compress.

I dont have a time goal but I dont wanna leave my pc open for 40 hours

Also my original footage is over 1 gb and when I download it from youtube only 150 mb, an it looks pretty same, So I am willing to sacricife little quality over drastic size reduction.

temp int.PNG

Just now, Wictorian said:

I dont have a time goal but I dont wanna leave my pc open for 40 hours

Also my original footage is over 1 gb and when I download it from youtube only 150 mb, an it looks pretty same, So I am willing to sacricife little quality over drastic size reduction.

temp int.PNG

Oof, not great. 

Lets say 4 hours upload then, so about 225mb per hour, or a bit under a gig for a hour

So for a 2 gb video, thats about 1mbit bitrate. 

If your pc specs in your profile are right, the best option for time vs size is h265 on the gpu. Pretty fast encodes. Not the best quality, but probably better than h264 on the cpu. h265 on the cpu would be better, but would take a while on a fx chip.

Just get hand brake, set it to 1mbit(I wouldn't go over 720p, 1mbit isn't that much.

Where did you get the video from? It is most likely already compressed, and it's usually better to tweak your original setti gs rather than do multiple encodings on the same file using different programs. 

Basically, you are not giving us anywhere near the amount of info we need to give you a decent solution to your problem. 

Just now, LAwLz said:

Where did you get the video from? It is most likely already compressed, and it's usually better to tweak your original setti gs rather than do multiple encodings on the same file using different programs. 

Basically, you are not giving us anywhere near the amount of info we need to give you a decent solution to your problem. 

I shoot videos and sometimes download from others 

Nevermind, I already got my answer.

1 hour ago, Wictorian said:

(I dont wanna decrease the resolution or something)

Youtube will re-encode your video again regardless of how compressed you upload it. So you aren't saving Youtube any work. There are some other reasons they do this. If you just want to compress the video so its smaller and the upload goes faster/takes less bandwidth, follow the instructions from other people in this thread.

1 minute ago, asquirrel said:

Youtube will re-encode your video again regardless of how compressed you upload it. So you aren't saving Youtube any work. There are some other reasons they do this. If you just want to compress the video so its smaller and the upload goes faster/takes less bandwidth, follow the instructions from other people in this thread.

yes I will. I dont know why you still reply when I already got my answer and why people doesnt reply when I havent got the answer in other threads.

8 minutes ago, Wictorian said:

yes I will.

No, you won't. Youtube will apply the exact same encode to the final output regardless of if you upload a file that has been compressed 100 times, or if you upload a completely uncompressed file.

What asquirrel is saying is that you will not save Youtube's servers any time.

9 minutes ago, Wictorian said:

I dont know why you still reply when I already got my answer

But you haven't really gotten a good answer yes. People have answered your questions to their best of their ability with the info you have provided, but I think you could get even better answers and a better workflow if you had provided more info.

Anyway, it seems like you don't want any more help so I guess it's moot to try and help you further.

11 minutes ago, Wictorian said:

why people doesnt reply when I havent got the answer in other threads.

Because those threads might not be interesting to other people. This forum works by people volunteering and helping others.

Also, if it's the "how to change an apps icon" you're talking about then it's because you once again have not provided enough information. When making a thread, you will get far better answers if you provide all the relevant information.

Why do you want to do something? What goal do you have in mind? What have you tried so far? If your workflow involves some specific programs, tell us the names of the programs. Stuff like that.

5 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

No, you won't. Youtube will apply the exact same encode to the final output regardless of if you upload a file that has been compressed 100 times, or if you upload a completely uncompressed file.

What asquirrel is saying is that you will not save Youtube's servers any time.

But you haven't really gotten a good answer yes. People have answered your questions to their best of their ability with the info you have provided, but I think you could get even better answers and a better workflow if you had provided more info.

Anyway, it seems like you don't want any more help so I guess it's moot to try and help you further.

Because those threads might not be interesting to other people. This forum works by people volunteering and helping others.

Also, if it's the "how to change an apps icon" you're talking about then it's because you once again have not provided enough information. When making a thread, you will get far better answers if you provide all the relevant information.

Why do you want to do something? What goal do you have in mind? What have you tried so far? If your workflow involves some specific programs, tell us the names of the programs. Stuff like that.

I am not trying to save youtube time, but myself time.

Man I am just telling you not to bother. I appreciate answers but I realy got what I wanted, I rather dont wanna waste your time.

Also not that, I changed the icon if you saw. But it happens always,everywhere.