Can I make a NAS with this old PC?

Go to solution Solved by Radium_Angel,
2 minutes ago, MissFangs said:

You think it's worth waiting for an i5? My understanding is that the CPU does little to nothing in a NAS (at least when it's being used for what I'm using it for, which is primarily for backup and storage).

A NAS uses very little horsepower. What he was saying is the PC you listed was overpriced for what you were getting.

Have you considered a dedicated NAS? 

I want to buy this PC I found on eBay to build a custom NAS. From my point of view, it has the bare minimum of what you need - 8gb RAM for FreeNas, 6 SATA connections on the MB (though two are only 3gb/s), 10/100/1000Mbps LAN speed, i3 processor (my understanding is that this is sufficient) though I could upgrade to an i5 or and i7 later, if needed. The case is eh but I plan to move it into a sleeker alternative.

Could I turn this into a decent NAS? Let me know your thoughts and/or concerns.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Best Regards, Erin Joan

Intel i9 9900k @ 4.00GHz // NZXT Kraken Z53 // MSI Z390-A PRO // Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 // EVGA RTX 3080 Ti // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W P2 // Crucial MX500 500GB x5 // Seagate FireCuda 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive x2 // Seagate BarraCuda 4TB HDD x2 // NZXT S340 Elite Tempered Glass Mid Tower //

8 minutes ago, MissFangs said:
I want to buy this PC I found on eBay to build a custom NAS. From my point of view, it has the bare minimum of what you need - 8gb RAM for FreeNas, 6 SATA connections on the MB (though two are only 3gb/s), 10/100/1000Mbps LAN speed, i3 processor (my understanding is that this is sufficient) though I could upgrade to an i5 or and i7 later, if needed. The case is eh but I plan to move it into a sleeker alternative.

Best Regards, Erin Joan

You can't, because I just bought the PC 🤪

Kidding, while the specs are ok, the main question is where will you mount all the hard drives?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

well my nas is even weaker how many user are using the nas? 

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

11 minutes ago, MissFangs said:

Best Regards, Erin Joan

A bit much for an i3 system. Similar dell systems can be had with i5's or even i7's at that price. Either way that case does not support more than 2 hdds so that is another issue. I would not get this and just get a random office dell that has a standard atx board and psu layout and just slap in a 2x 5,25 inch to 3x 3,5 inch hdd caddy

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

You can't, because I just bought the PC 🤪

Kidding, while the specs are ok, the main question is where will you mount all the hard drives?

I don't like the case so I'll be moving it to another case with plenty of hard drive mounts!

Intel i9 9900k @ 4.00GHz // NZXT Kraken Z53 // MSI Z390-A PRO // Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 // EVGA RTX 3080 Ti // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W P2 // Crucial MX500 500GB x5 // Seagate FireCuda 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive x2 // Seagate BarraCuda 4TB HDD x2 // NZXT S340 Elite Tempered Glass Mid Tower //

2 hours ago, mahyar said:

well my nas is even weaker how many user are using the nas? 

Just me for now. Maybe more down the line, but it's unlikely.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

A bit much for an i3 system. Similar dell systems can be had with i5's or even i7's at that price. Either way that case does not support more than 2 hdds so that is another issue. I would not get this and just get a random office dell that has a standard atx board and psu layout and just slap in a 2x 5,25 inch to 3x 3,5 inch hdd caddy

You think it's worth waiting for an i5? My understanding is that the CPU does little to nothing in a NAS (at least when it's being used for what I'm using it for, which is primarily for backup and storage).

A NAS uses very little horsepower. What he was saying is the PC you listed was overpriced for what you were getting.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

4 minutes ago, MissFangs said:

Just me for now. Maybe more down the line, but it's unlikely.

its okay if case allows for drives for your need

or you can use raspberry pi for a nas

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

What is a dedicated NAS exactly?

Just now, MissFangs said:

What is a dedicated NAS exactly?

a system that everything about it is designed to be a nas

Just now, mahyar said:

a system that everything about it is designed to be a nas

Yes, that's what I'm planning to do here. I'm going to install FreeNas and load it with HDDs.

Yes, that's what I'm planning to do here. I'm going to install FreeNas and load it with HDDs.

I meant a pre-built NAS, like a ReadyNAS NV+

1 minute ago, MissFangs said:

every thing include os and you cant change and the have atom and celeron cpus and they are over priced

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I meant a pre-built NAS, like a ReadyNAS NV+

I have but they're overpriced and they offer little to no expansion. Plus, I'm a PC enthusiast so the idea of building something myself excites me. 

they offer little to no expansion.

It's a NAS, what expansion do you need?

building something myself excites me. 

All good, I understand.

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

It's a NAS, what expansion do you need?

All good, I understand.

Thank you so much for your help, btw - I really appreciate your time! I'm really excited to learn more about NASs but I want to do it right.

building a nas is very a raspberry pi4 with openmediavault or freenas

2 hours ago, jaslion said:

Would you mind taking a look at this one? Do you think it's a good price?

https://denver.craigslist.org/sys/d/castle-rock-used-desktop-computer-pc/7164151403.html

that cpu is very weak it wont handle much

2 minutes ago, mahyar said:

That's what I was thinking... I'm getting cheaper by the moment and I just want to find some garbage $25 PC for the hell of it 😆 That being said it still has to be somewhat sufficient. Thanks again for your help it means a lot to me!

3 minutes ago, mahyar said:

i doubt i even can handle os it self

1 minute ago, MissFangs said:

That's what I was thinking... I'm getting cheaper by the moment and I just want to find some garbage $25 PC for the hell of it 😆 That being said it still has to be somewhat sufficient. Thanks again for your help it means a lot to me!

11 minutes ago, mahyar said:

building a nas is very a raspberry pi4 with openmediavault or freenas

if you want to go cheap a rpi 4 2GB