Eclipse247

Do u have gpu coil whine?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do u have gpu coil whine

• yes and I just deal with it
    • no i have never had it
    • yes I have had it before but had to rma

5 minutes ago, Eclipse247 said:

no from what ive learned its just coils vibrating in your gpu and it cannot cause any harm to your card so u have nothing to worry about 

Thanks

Yeah I just read that link that Eigenvektor put in his reply and found that out.

26 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

It's a physical property of a coil. The current causes a magnetic field, which causes the wires to move/vibrate. In some cases the vibration is in a range audible to humans. It's not a question of quality. You can try to dampen the noise by preventing the coil from vibrating, but that could have undesired side effects if you're not careful.

Thanks for the link, it was very helpful.

Until I read that article I was thinking I'd have to replace something.

🙂  

1 hour ago, Eclipse247 said:

Out of curiosity what are the ways that u can dampen the noise of the coils?

The noise is caused by high frequency vibrations, which are caused by the force induced by an electromagnetic field, which comes from current flowing through the components wire(s). You can't exactly get rid of the em field or the force it causes.

You can try changing the current, by under- or overvolting. Some cards only have audible coil whine in some scenarios (high or low load). E.g. my own card only makes a noise when running at very high fps, so higher settings help since I get lower fps (the vibrations are still present, just at a frequency I can't hear)

Alternatively you could try to physically change whichever part is vibrating. Replace it or alter it in the hopes of changing its resonance frequency. The problem is doing this without damaging anything, changing its electrical properties and/or additional insulation that might heat things up.

You could also try some noise insulating mats inside the PC. However, I think they're not very good with high pitched noises and can also cause additional heat inside the case.

Long story short, there's no real solution. Some people also had luck changing their PSU/GPU combination, but which combinations "fix" it is anyone's guess.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

The noise is caused by high frequency vibrations, which are caused by the force induced by an electromagnetic field, which comes from current flowing through the components wire(s). You can't exactly get rid of the em field or the force it causes.

You can try changing the current, by under- or overvolting. Some cards only have audible coil whine in some scenarios (high or low load). E.g. my own card only makes a noise when running at very high fps, so higher settings help since I get lower fps (the vibrations are still present, just at a frequency I can't hear)

Alternatively you could try to physically change whichever part is vibrating. Replace it or alter it in the hopes of changing its resonance frequency. The problem is doing this without damaging anything, changing its electrical properties and/or additional insulation that might heat things up.

You could also try some noise insulating mats inside the PC. However, I think they're not very good with high pitched noises and can also cause additional heat inside the case.

Long story short, there's no real solution. Some people also had luck changing their PSU/GPU combination, but which combinations "fix" it is anyone's guess.

Wait u can change coils on a pcb is that not a one way road to your card dying?

33 minutes ago, Eclipse247 said:

You can replace components on the PCB, if you know what you're doing. They would have to be parts that perform the same as the parts you're replacing obviously. And it would absolutely void your warranty.

Here's an example of someone fixing audible coil whine (on their motherboard) by replacing inductors with other inductors that have the same electrical performance, but generate no audible noise:

To repeat, you need to know what you're doing and it will void your warranty. So I'd definitely not do that with a brand new GPU. You'd also need to know for certain whether there's a part with the same electrical properties that is not subject to coil whine at the current your GPU operates at before even attempting that.

By the way, this is what the "box" he's replacing looks like internally. You can see it's essentially a tiny coil in a plastic enclosure (the one on the right is another, bigger, open design usually used in e.g. PSUs)

Coil_whine_Cricket.jpg

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 hour ago, Eclipse247 said:

If you know the spec of the part and are good with soldering you can certainly try.

I've heard people have tried to use hot glue to dampen coils, but I don't know if it worked.

My old Mobo had coil whine. Anytime it was accessing the SSD I could hear it... New computer isn't as bad but I still hear electrical noise, not from my GPU though.

I'm pretty sensitive to high frequency, so it can drive me nuts. When I met my wife, she had an old tube TV and I threw it away and bought a flat screen for her simply because I couldn't stand the noise from the TV.

Last time I actually didn't have any audible coil whine was with a 560Ti funnily enough.

Every card I've had since has had it, but with one of them a PSU upgrade actually lessened the noise, though that doesn't mean that a better PSU will necessarily decrease the whine all the time.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

30 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Last time I actually didn't have any audible coil whine was with a 560Ti funnily enough.

Every card I've had since has had it, but with one of them a PSU upgrade actually lessened the noise, though that doesn't mean that a better PSU will necessarily decrease the whine all the time.

So do u think that as cards have gotten better coil whine has become more prevalent 

1 minute ago, Eclipse247 said:

So do u think that as cards have gotten better coil whine has become more prevalent 

Erm, I'm not sure. I mean if I'm to go by my own personal experience I could say yes, but there's also the possibility that I just got unlucky with the cards I purchased and used for myself.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC