would the Gigabyte H110M-S2PH-CF support an NVMe M.2 SSD like the Samsung 950 Pro?

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,
6 minutes ago, devidchakma said:

but when I try to run After Effect preview or render a video it turn into a nightmare.

That's because the GT 1030 has no hardware encoder for video, it was cut on purpose by nVidia to make people buy more expensive video cards.

Premiere and other programs use the encoder to accelerate and compress videos faster.

Any other video card from nVidia above that card (ex 1050, 1650, 1660, 2060 and so on) has a hardware encoder built in, which can be used by programs to speed things up.

would the Gigabyte H110M-S2PH-CF support an NVMe M.2 SSD like the Samsung 950 Pro?

Doesn't look like that board has an m.2 slot. Are you planning on buying an adapter? What do you want to use this SSD for?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

if it has an m.2 slot it will work, sadly this one doesn't. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Although it does not have a physical m.2 port, a pci-e m.2 riser should work

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Doesn't look like that board has an m.2 slot. Are you planning on buying an adapter? What do you want to use this SSD for?

I work in Photoshop and Illustrator. I have Western Digital Green 240GB SSD and toshiba 1tb hdd 7200rpm. I am just wondering to install new one ssd with high storage (480gb).

8 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Oh thank you for you replay

8 minutes ago, C2dan88 said:

Although it does not have a physical m.2 port, a pci-e m.2 riser should work

I am not an expert but pci-e is that the GPU port?

15 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

pci-e m.2 riser does it work ? and what to do with gpu?

10 hours ago, devidchakma said:

pci-e m.2 riser

technically yea. 

and what to do with gpu?

the board has more than one pcie slot. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

You should be able to add a standard SATA SSD to that system with no problem. No need for an m.2 riser.  Below your GPU PCI-E slot, you have two other PCI-E slots.

A pci-e adapter / riser card will work if you have a free pci-e slot. You may not be able to boot (start an operating system) from a SSD installed in such a adapter board.

Your video card can sit in the first pci-e x16 slot, the adapter cards with m.2 connectors only use 4 pci-e lanes, so you will install such an adapter card into a pci-e x4 or better slot.

Unfortunately, it looks like you only have one pci-e x1 slot , the other two slots are older PCI slots, which are no good.

So unless you decide to stick to using the integrated graphics and no dedicated video card, you should stick to using SATA SSDs.

There's one more option, using a riser cable to connect an adapter board to the pci-e x1 slot, but it's almost pointless, as the SSD would run at maximum 1 GB/s - only twice as fast as a regular SATA connection.

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

technically yea. 

the board has more than one pcie slot. 

thank you and another Question I have i5 7400 cpu can it handle rtx 2060/2070/2080ti gpu?

I have i5 7400 cpu can it handle rtx 2060/2070/2080ti gpu?

probably not sadly, it's a 4c/4t chip and will struggle with a lot of things. if you can't move to a different platform, a 6700/7700/k will be a huge upgrade. 

Build Log: 

5 minutes ago, Warin said:

You should be able to add a standard SATA SSD to that system with no problem. No need for an m.2 riser.  Below your GPU PCI-E slot, you have two other PCI-E slots.

I am alrady using Western Digital Green 240GB SSD and toshiba 1tb hdd 7200rpm. I am just wondering to install new one ssd with high storage (480gb).

Those video cards will work, but the 2070 and 2080ti cards will probably be slowed down by that processor.

Also, considering the quality of the motherboard and the processor you have, I'd be concerned about the power supply. It needs to be a quality one. 

They don't consume a lot of power, but it's not small amount... 2060 is at around 180w, 2070 at around 210w and 2080 is at around 250w ... that's just for the video card.  So with such video cards, you need a power supply that can provide at least 400-500w on the 12v output, so a decent 550-650w power supply from a reputable manufacturer.

That board supports 4 SATA devices.  Just get a normal SATA SSD and another SATA cable and plug it in.

4 minutes ago, mariushm said:

A pci-e adapter / riser card will work if you have a free pci-e slot. You may not be able to boot (start an operating system) from a SSD installed in such a adapter board.

Your video card can sit in the first pci-e x16 slot, the adapter cards with m.2 connectors only use 4 pci-e lanes, so you will install such an adapter card into a pci-e x4 or better slot.

Unfortunately, it looks like you only have one pci-e x1 slot , the other two slots are older PCI slots, which are no good.

So unless you decide to stick to using the integrated graphics and no dedicated video card, you should stick to using SATA SSDs.

There's one more option, using a riser cable to connect an adapter board to the pci-e x1 slot, but it's almost pointless, as the SSD would run at maximum 1 GB/s - only twice as fast as a regular SATA connection.

So you are saying riser card will be worst decision?😯

2 minutes ago, devidchakma said:

I am alrady using Western Digital Green 240GB SSD and toshiba 1tb hdd 7200rpm. I am just wondering to install new one ssd with high storage (480gb).

There are SATA SSDs up to 2 TB in capacity.  You can't use nvme (pci-e) SSDs that use the m.2 connector, but you can use plain SATA SSDs.

Just now, devidchakma said:

So you are saying riser card will be worst decision?😯

I'm saying you don't have a pci-e slot to insert such a card. Your choices are limited by the motherboard.

If you insert a video card in the big pci-e x16 slot, the small pci-e x1 slot will be unusable, blocked by the video card. You could use a small riser cable to connect something to it, but it's almost pointless.

I can't afford 2tb ssd thats why I am wondering 480gb 😥

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

I'm saying you don't have a pci-e slot to insert such a card. Your choices are limited by the motherboard.

If you insert a video card in the big pci-e x16 slot, the small pci-e x1 slot will be unusable, blocked by the video card. You could use a small riser cable to connect something to it, but it's almost pointless.

I understand now.  

6 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Those video cards will work, but the 2070 and 2080ti cards will probably be slowed down by that processor.

Also, considering the quality of the motherboard and the processor you have, I'd be concerned about the power supply. It needs to be a quality one. 

They don't consume a lot of power, but it's not small amount... 2060 is at around 180w, 2070 at around 210w and 2080 is at around 250w ... that's just for the video card.  So with such video cards, you need a power supply that can provide at least 400-500w on the 12v output, so a decent 550-650w power supply from a reputable manufacturer.

I am not an expert as said before I have Corsair CV450 450Watt PSU and using ZOTAC GT 1030 2Gb thats all I know.(as supplier said.)

The CV 450 will be good enough for 2060 or 2070 ... 2080ti may work, but a better power supply would be a good idea.

GT 1030 is really low power budget video card, it consumes maybe 25-35 watts, so of course it has no problems working.

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

The CV 450 will be good enough for 2060 or 2070 ... 2080ti may work, but a better power supply would be a good idea.

GT 1030 is really low power budget video card, it consumes maybe 25-35 watts, so of course it has no problems working.

Can I upgrade my gpu to rtx 2060? what would you suggest I will upgrade that gpu in this last of the year and I will change the psu as requirement. 

29 minutes ago, devidchakma said:

thank you and another Question I have i5 7400 cpu can it handle rtx 2060/2070/2080ti gpu?

Are you going to game on this PC or just do Photoshop?

If you are gaming, get a Ryzen 3 3100 or 3300X if possible, and a cheap B450 motherboard. You can use an M.2 drive and a powerful graphics card with those. Combine a GTX 1660 super with this setup to save some money.

For only Photoshop, don't go all out on the graphics card and replace your current GT 1030 with a pcie riser card for M.2

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad