Voltage Control

Quick question, i have a ryzen 5 3600, and i want to undervolt it without touching the core clocks, its sitting at 1.42 Volts, can i just set the voltage at 1.35 without touching the core clocks or overclocking the cpu and just let it do its own boosting?

1.42 at idle? I'm going to assume it's at idle. If so, that's perfectly normal. Since it's high voltage and low current, which is perfectly fine. 

It will drop down under load. 

2 minutes ago, Ichoumaz said:

can i just set the voltage at 1.35 without touching the core clocks

Every chip has different capabilities. Only way to check if it can hold it with the under volt is to try. But again, if this is at idle it's perfectly fine. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

1.42 at idle? I'm going to assume it's at idle. If so, that's perfectly normal. Since it's high voltage and low current, which is perfectly fine. 

It will drop down under load. 

Every chip has different capabilities. Only way to check if it can hold it with the under volt is to try. But again, if this is at idle it's perfectly fine. 

yeah, at idle, and my idle temps arent exactly cool from 54 to 61, so wouldnt it mean that it will heat up faster when its hit with a load?

3 minutes ago, Ichoumaz said:

so wouldnt it mean that it will heat up faster when its hit with a load?

Nope. Those temps are perfectly fine. 

Nothing wrong with your cpu. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

Nope. Those temps are perfectly fine. 

Nothing wrong with your cpu. 

aight, i guess i should get a proper cooler than, hot climet in a hot room

1.42V at idle is fine, since there's very little current actually going through the CPU.

What's your Vcore at full load though?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Just now, Ichoumaz said:

guess i should get a proper cooler than

You don't have to lol. If temps are under 85c/90c under load then there's nothing to worry about.

Idle temps don't matter. Load temps do. 

Build Log: 

Just now, Mateyyy said:

1.42V at idle is fine, since there's very little current actually going through the CPU.

What's your Vcore at full load though?

tbh, this aint for me exactly, just a friend that was worried about his temps and voltages, i already have mine OCd to 4.05 GHz at 1.375 volts, i think his VCore was at 1.36 last ime he showed me

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

You don't have to lol. If temps are under 85c/90c under load then there's nothing to worry about.

Idle temps don't matter. Load temps do. 

i think they acceed the 90 degrees underload but i'm not sure, i'll do a quick test

2 minutes ago, Ichoumaz said:

think they acceed the 90 degrees underload

Under normal load or something like prime 95? 

But yes check if possible. 

Build Log: 

Under normal load or something like prime 95? 

But yes check if possible. 

i'll do an Cinebench R15 test and report back, when i say hot climet, i'm talking 40 C in the shade, so around that temp in my room

Just now, Ichoumaz said:

i'm talking 40 C in the shade, so around that temp in my room

That would explain it then lol..

Build Log: 

yeeeeeah hahahaha, thats why i said i need a better cooler than the current stock cooler that i have

my bad, i have it at 4 Ghz not 4.05

image.png

31 minutes ago, Ichoumaz said:

can i just set the voltage at 1.35 without touching the core clocks or overclocking the cpu and just let it do its own boosting?

No. The CPU boost algorithm doesn't work with static voltage.

You've two options

1. Let the CPU boost the way it wants. Apply a slight undervolt (-0.1V at the most) if you want to manage the temps a bit.
  2. Use a manual overclock if you to use a static voltage.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

7 minutes ago, Ichoumaz said:

my bad, i have it at 4 Ghz not 4.05

-snip-

Ah. Only use hwinfo64 or ryzen master to monitor ryzen temps correctly. Others can't Monitor it correctly. 

Build Log: 

Just now, DildorTheDecent said:

No. The CPU boost algorithm doesn't work with static voltage.

You've two options

1. Let the CPU boost the way it wants. Apply a slight undervolt (-0.1V at the most) if you want to manage the temps a bit.
  2. Use a manual overclock if you to use a static voltage.

ahh okay, makes sense

8 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Ah. Only use hwinfo64 or ryzen master to monitor ryzen temps correctly. Others can't Monitor it correctly. 

is the max temp of the ryzen chips 95 C?

Just now, Ichoumaz said:

is the max temp of the ryzen chips 95 C?

Usually they start to throttle at 90/85c plus. But afaik 95c is safe. 

Build Log: 

Usually they start to throttle at 90/85c plus. But afaik 95c is safe. 

this is with ryzen master, it seems to have acceded the 95C limit but it didnt throtel below 4, though it was at the very end of the test

image.png

Just now, Ichoumaz said:

though it was at the very end of the test

Well ambient temps certainly will affect that. 

But if temps under your normal workload are fine then i wouldn't worry about stress test temps. It's a stress test after all. But yes those ambient temps are certainly affecting these results. 

Build Log: 

48 minutes ago, Ichoumaz said:

it seems to have acceded the 95C limit

have you tried testing this with your side panel open to see if it's an airflow issue? 95c is really high for a 3600 even on stock cooler at 40c ambient...

and this is 1 cinebench run, without GPU running

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

have you tried testing this with your side panel open to see if it's an airflow issue? 95c is really high for a 3600 even on stock cooler at 40c ambient...

i havent, i'm sure the temps will go down a bit if i do, the case has 2 intake fans and one exhaust fan, and it seems to have good airflow but maybe the fans themselves arent that good, i'll give it a try and let you now

24 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

okay, i tried it without the side pannel, and it seems to be the same temp after just 1 cinebench run
image.thumb.png.1a61bc992a331285ce01cb04f802ca05.png

1 minute ago, Ichoumaz said:

okay, i tried it without the side pannel, and it seems to be the same temp after just 1 cinebench run

you're using the stock cooler right?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately