Removing PCIe Covers Reduces Temperatures?

Faceman

I'm trying to update the fan configuration in my case.  Here is the current setup.

The two orange fans are Cougar Vortex PWM 1500rpm, I also have a 3rd that I haven't placed yet, I'm asking advice on where to place this 3rd Cougar Vortex fan.

The yellow is some crappy Kingwin 900rpm that was free after rebate

The red fan is a simple case fan that doesn't get recognized by Asus Fan Xpert2, so I just attached it via molex(not controllable via Fan Xpert)2 at its current position to get some constant airflow. If I had to guess, its 800rpm

The green is my CM Hyper 212 EVO.

I am wondering where I should put my 3rd cougar vortex. I am deciding between exhaust(yellow) or the top most fan(red).  If I place the cougar fan at the red location, it will be powered by molex and I wont be able to control the speed.  I feel like that is a misuse of such a nice fan. I have tried both the case fan and the kingwin in a push/pull on my 212 EVO, but the brackets aren't mounting properly, so I will remain with just the 1 on my CPU for now.  Another thing I considered is using the CPU_OPT plug in for the Cougar Vortex and place it in the red area.  I would just control allow the red fan to be at whatever setting the CPU fan is at.

Would it be beneficial to have a high powered exhaust fan or I'm with with just anything for exhaust.

I also read an article about removing PCIe slot covers and that will help reduce temperatures.  I have a EVGA GTX 780 SD w/ ACX cooler.  This particular GPU has heat exhausting into the case.

My entire case is placed inside of a wooden desk on the ground with its own "section" open in the front and back.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I suggest exhaust back (yellow). This will drop your temps more then placing it on top as an intake. It will pull hot air both from the air passing through your CPU heatsink, and the hot air rising from your graphics card.

It seems you already have a fan at top. Just keep that one as an intake.

Intake through the front, exhaust out the top and back. Hot air rises, intakes on the top of the top of your case is not ideal. You should also try to clean up the cables from your GPU, they are blocking airflow from the lower front intake fan. Your system doesn't output enough heat to require more than x2 intake x1 exhaust, the only reason you would need more than that is if you live in an inhospitable place or you don't have A/C. Which is you have a 780 and you don't have A/C you should re-examine your priorities. 

As far as removing the PCI covers, I doubt there will have any effect on your system temperatures. The only thing it will do is let more dust into your case.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Intake through the front, exhaust out the top and back. Hot air rises, intakes on the top of the top of your case is not ideal. You should also try to clean up the cables from your GPU, they are blocking airflow from the lower front intake fan. Your system doesn't output enough heat to require more than x2 intake x1 exhaust, the only reason you would need more than that is if you live in an inhospitable place or you don't have A/C. Which is you have a 780 and you don't have A/C you should re-examine your priorities. 

As far as removing the PCI covers, I doubt there will have any effect on your system temperatures. The only thing it will do is let more dust into your case.

Your response was very douchey.  It is just a bad angle, there is only one big cable that is impeding airflow, the rest are well out of the way.  I decided to just take off the side panel and have the case open inside of the wood desk.  There is a difference of 11C in my system between open and closed case.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Just be careful about that top intake, if your PC is propped against a wall and under a desk, the top intake could just be recycling hot air that's coming out of the rear exhaust.

Removing PCIe covers will do nothing on temps. They are already ventilated so effect will be unnoticable. Cleaning that mess of cables at bottom will do more good. Do I see right that lowest front is ghetto mounted? If so you could do some more ghetto mounting and place it to point bit up towards GPU.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Are you trying to reduce temperature of a particular component? Is your gpu overheating?

Fans spinning at around 800-900rpm don't move a lot of air. It should be sufficient for idle, but during long gaming sessions the temperature might be a bit high. The front fans seem to be quite constricted.

My recommendations:
1) If possible, remove the hard drive cages - they seem to be blocking airflow. 
2) Consider putting fans in the following configuration (especially if the drive cage is not removable)

fan_placement.jpg

3) RED fan might not be needed. (Choose the best fan between red/yellow)

4) Cleaning up cables a bit could help. few Zip-Ties would solve it
5) Consider getting PWM splitter. You could connect all cougar fans + CPU fan. Then using motherboard PWM control increase the airflow during gamiing load and drop it when Idle.
http://www.swiftech.com/8-WayPWMsplitter.aspx

Best of luck

Show love because it's a terrible thing to hate

Stagnant hot air rises yes, but hot air rises when it's not being pushed anywhere.  In a case air is zooming around and doesn't get a chance to sit still long enough for it to rise.  99% of the air in a PC is going to go where it's pushed/pulled.

@Faceman what are your temps?  if the cpu is under 70c in games, and the cpu is under 80c in games you have nothing to worry about.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Clean up the spagetti at the bottom of your case, and mount the fan there to intake air for the gpu??

Gaming Computer | Case: CM Storm Scout II | MB: Asus P8Z77-V LK | CPU: i5 2320@3,6ghz | GFX:  MSI GTX 770 Gaming | RAM: 8gb DDR3 @ 1333mhz | Storage: 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Monitor: 1x Asus VG248QE @ 144Hz , 1x Samsung SyncMaster SA300 @ 77hz OC'd 

Other Device's | Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE@OmniROM | Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1@OmniROM | Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad T61 Win 8.1

It is a bad angle. All of those wires are on either side of the fan's direct path other than one PCIe cable. My temperatures are maxing at 65C with the side panel off the case, and go up as high as 76C with the side panel on. I just removed the side panel.

Now that the side panel is removed, how should I arrange my fans? It is not a closed container anymore, so the traditional bottom front to high back ideal airflow model doesn't apply as much as it would if it were a closed container. I am thinking about getting a mesh cover or filter to prevent any hair or anomalies from entering through the side while still keeping it an "open air" system.

http://img.alibaba.com/img/pb/607/772/632/632772607_065.jpg

Something like that, except very large to cover the entire side of the case.

I found an amazing website for all kinds of computer modifications, filters, etc...

www.moddiy.com