Where to get started when creating a short film?

Hey there everybody! I'm seriously thinking about creating a short film, and I've been thinking.

If I get a good enough idea, and good enough story, would it be smart to create something like an IndieGoGo campaign to help fund the project, and if so, what would be a good starting budget for something of this magnitude?

I would assume something like a camera rental/purchase, maybe filming/audio equipment, and lots of other things would be involved.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks!

Try watching some vids at FilmRiot. They're the best :)

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

The best way to start is to use what you have available to you. I wouldn't suggest going for IndieGoGo because people don't know what you'll deliver.

Grab some friends, find a camera, and shoot away!

I'm making a short film myself for a school major project. Find something that appeals to you.

What type of film were you planning on making?

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

The best way to start is to use what you have available to you. I wouldn't suggest going for IndieGoGo because people don't know what you'll deliver.

Grab some friends, find a camera, and shoot away!

I'm making a short film myself for a school major project. Find something that appeals to you.

What type of film were you planning on making?

I'm trying to make a fictional film, I've been looking around on SimplyScripts and have found a script that I like, and I have some equipment. The problem now is mostly my age. I am young, so finding people to act in the films is a bit harder. I'm in high school, so maybe I can get some 12th graders to help me out, but either way, it seems like a big, hard project, but I think I can do it...

First think about the story you want to tell. 

There's no point thinking about the technical part if you havent got a great story to tell. If you want to learn I would advise you to read this book : 

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Directing-Motion-Pictures-Terence-St-John-Marner/9780900730443

Don't know if it is available in your country but in mine is a pretty standart book you can find in any store.

I'm a filmmaker myself and I have a degree in filmmaking, so if you need any help feel free to send me a message.

A screenplay may come in handy. Draw up a few scenes like you picture them and then you can work out some fine details before you start.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

You should start out by writing a story and then adapting it into a script. Make a trailer and then do an IndieGoGo campaign for your film.

Hey there everybody! I'm seriously thinking about creating a short film, and I've been thinking.

If I get a good enough idea, and good enough story, would it be smart to create something like an IndieGoGo campaign to help fund the project, and if so, what would be a good starting budget for something of this magnitude?

I would assume something like a camera rental/purchase, maybe filming/audio equipment, and lots of other things would be involved.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks!

If you havnt done anything like this before, Dont try out for crowd funding right away. you want to learn the skill set first.

If you want to use Visual effects use tutorials from Video Copilot (I'll post links) for Special effects FilmRiot and IndyMogoul are two good youtube channels.

For equipment I would suggest the following for starting equipment;

Cannon T3i/600D/T4i/650D these are a good price point and the video quality you can achive are fantastic. A good camera for any entry level film maker.

Mobile Lighting such as battery powered LED rigs can be purchased for around $30-50 as well as wanting reflector boards too which are only a few bucks.

and if you can find a good bargain you can get a greenscreen kit (Green material, Day light bulbs, and all the stands) and It only cost me £50 reduced from £100

Now here is where the fun starts. Alot of us who get into film making dont start by making films, but rather test footage. usually to test different lenes, editing styles or to see how a certain effect will look on camera visual or special effect (Visual effects = effects made on computer, Special effects = an effect created live on set such as sparks/air canons etc)

Here are some links for you.

http://www.videocopilot.net/

https://www.youtube.com/user/filmriot

https://www.youtube.com/user/indymogul

The above mentioned websites are all fantastic learning resources for getting into Film. VideoCopilot more than the others.

Then, once you have got a skill set together and you want to get crowd funded you will want a few things.

The first is a Demo reel and the second is a video that has good reviews from a good range of people. I will link you two videos from one of my friends youtube channel (Im usually the grip/props/what ever else needs doing)

So an example of a demo reel is this.

and a video with a good review (Im just throwing this out there because Paul W.S. Anderson stated that this video was his personal favourite in a film competition which i think is rather impressive :D)

Any way I hope this wall of text and video helps out and gives you an idea on what you need.

PS.

The budget for all of my friends work has been pizza and travel expense. So you dont need a massive budget to produce something that looks good.

Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini / Motherboard:GigaByte G1-Sniper-M5 / CPU: Intel 4670k / Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz / GPU: Asus GTX770 Direct CU 2GB / PSU: OCZ ZT650 / SSD: 2xSamsung 840 240GB / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB / Cooler: Corsair H100i / Fans: 3x Corsair AF120 + 2 Corsair SP120 / Mouse: Corsair M65 / Keyboard: Cheap Crap/ Headset: Razer Kraken / Misk: 3DConnexion mouse / Flight stick: Cyborg F.L.Y 5