Strange startup behaviour - HELP?!

RobV1306

This isn't necessarily a graphics card issue, so feel free to move to the appropriate section of the forum if necessary however I've got some strange stuff going on with my rig on startup which I suspect is related to graphics.

Firstly, a breakdown of my rig:

ASUS Prime Z390-P II Mobo

Intel i7-9700K CPU

RTX2070 Super Founders Edition GPU

32Gb 3200MHz Hyper-X Fury RAM

500Gb WD Black NVMe boot drive

EVGA 650GQ PSU

The issue is around when I start it up. More often than not, when it boots into windows, it starts off with a really low resolution - like 800x600 - everything is massive and blurry. It'll stay like that for between 5 and 20 seconds. It'll then abruptly cut to black, play the windows "dah-dum" sound to signal something has been disconnected and then bring my resolution back to the proper one.

I cannot figure this out!

I'm obviously running my monitor hooked up to the GPU only, not the iGPU. I can't help but feel it's something to do with cross-talk from the iGPU.

Anyone experienced anything similar? Any suggestions?

I'm getting close to going full rage-quit on it and simply re-building the thing from scratch with a clean OS install but feel like this is more BIOS level than Windows.

Someone please help?

12 minutes ago, RobV1306 said:

-snip-

Have you tried reinstalling your graphics driver? I seems like Windows is installing the driver every time you boot up again which might explain the hardware disconnect chime and the empty screen behaviour you're getting. Could also explain why it'll be running at 800x600 since it's probably using the basic Display driver.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I probably should have included this in the OP - it did this even when I was running my GTX 1060. 

I only installed the RTX card last week and I installed the latest Nvidia drivers then.

At first, I thought it was simply an issue with the 1060 but when it did it on the 2070 then I got really confused.

This is the reason I'm wondering about some sort of cross talk from the iGPU. 

1 hour ago, RobV1306 said:

it did this even when I was running my GTX 1060

Is it maybe the monitor not being recognized? Is there a laptop that you could test the monitor with?

9 hours ago, benji2602 said:

Is it maybe the monitor not being recognized? Is there a laptop that you could test the monitor with?

Yeah, I've actually been using my work laptop with that monitor too and have had no problems. 

I've had it suggested that maybe the GPU isn't getting enough power at startup but surely if that was the case I'd simply get no signal. 

I'm also thinking that the boot time may simply be too fast for it to initialise the GPU (given it boots in seconds 'cos NVMe). Do you think maybe adding some artificial wait time into the boot sequence would be a good idea?

On 7/29/2020 at 1:56 PM, RobV1306 said:

The issue is around when I start it up. More often than not, when it boots into windows, it starts off with a really low resolution - like 800x600 - everything is massive and blurry. It'll stay like that for between 5 and 20 seconds. It'll then abruptly cut to black, play the windows "dah-dum" sound to signal something has been disconnected and then bring my resolution back to the proper one.

Considering this, and the rest of your statements, it's possible that you may need to do a full reinstall of Windows.

I'd start with trying a different monitor cable, plugged into a different port on the GPU and monitor if possible. (if you don't have another cable, just try a different port with your existing cable if possible) If you're using HDMI, try DisplayPort instead, and vice-versa.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms