Im building a PC and need some help with some stuf!!

Hello!

Sorry for shit grammar, english its not my first language. I got some question about the B450-F Gaming Motherboard, Ive seen that there is a variaty of prices around it and i really cant tell the difference (the ones in the picture). Ive been told that i have to buy the first one for my build (the 129$ one). This is my current build:

- AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6GHz 6 - Core 

- GTX 1060 3GB (i got this as a gift so im gonna upgrade it soon, im open to advice).

- G Skill TridentZ RGB Series 16 gb (2x8gb) - This is 3200mhz and CL 16. 

- Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM.

- Silicon Power ACE A55 256 GB (This the SSD) 

- TOSHIBA 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM

- Thermaltake Smart 500 W 80+ Certified ATX (Power Supply) - Thinking on getting a 600w Bronze one.

So i wanted to know 3 things:

1. If i buy the first Motherboard, am i gonna be able to upgrade my CPU to a Ryzen 7 3700x and this would still be compatible?

2. About the Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200 RPM, ive been looking for this piece and i havent been able to find it. Do you guys know any alternative or a link to it?

3. Whats the difference in those Motherboards and if its fine for my build to just get the first one?

Thanks in advance!

image.png

Do NOT get a TT SMART power supply unless your goal is to start a fire.

Get a Be Quiet Pure Power Gold or Corsair TXM or Cooler Master MWE Gold.

8 minutes ago, Renatto615 said:

Thermaltake Smart 500 W 80+ Certified ATX

Please change it. Efficiency and wattage and brand are not quality. 

As a budget option get a cx which is a lot better or a better option is to get a straight power 11 or a txm unit. 

Skill TridentZ RGB Series 16 gb (2x8gb) - This is 3200mhz and CL 16. 

Why expensive overpriced ram? 

A ripjaws V kit will do the job and will probably cost less. Or look got a 3200 cl14 kit or a 3600 cl 16-16-16 kit which is usually b die..

buy the first Motherboard, am i gonna be able to upgrade my CPU to a Ryzen 7 3700x and this would still be compatible?

The board is meh. Technically it has the capabilities to drive an 8 core but I wouldn't get an overpriced meh board in my opinion. 

Whats the difference in those Motherboards and if its fine for my build to just get the first one?

Looks like the same thing just from different sources. 

But please don't get this board. 

For b450..

Tomahawk max. 

Mortar max. 

Pro 4. 

Pro vdh max. 

A pro max (non m). 

For b550.

Tomahawk. 

Mortar. 

Aorus pro. 

Strix f. 

Steel legend. 

Pro 4. 

For x570. 

Tomahawk. 

X570-p. 

Tuf. 

9 minutes ago, Renatto615 said:

Thanks in advance!

Budget for the board? 

Edited by TofuHaroto

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

His budget is 1600 USD,

Yea but I'm asking about the board specifically. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

Aim for a better power supply.

The motherboard is OK, and can handle 8 core processors, but it's not great.

It's same model, just different sellers, with boards in stock or not, and due to Covid and higher shipping costs (from Asia to those sellers) some will have higher prices.

On b450 chipset, MSI motherboards are best value for money, but not all msi boards are great. Look for Mortar, Tomohawk , Gaming Plus  , B450A-Pro ... these are good models.

That board is NOT worth 125$ ... it's more like a 100$ board.

You can get decent B550 boards for around 130-150$. You have MSI B550M bazooka at 129$ which isn't great considering the features, but has better vrm than that asus board. At 140$ you have MSI B550A-Pro which is ok

3600 Mhz memory is best for Ryzen, but you'll be perfectly fine with 3200 Mhz memory - the differences in performance would be very small. You don't need so expensive Gskill ram, get anything 3200 Mhz CL 18 or better, ideally CL16. These days the ram compatibility is quite high.

You can reuse the SSD, but don't buy a 1 TB mechanical drive if you don't have one already... the difference between 1 TB and 2TB or 3TB is usually very small, something like 10-20$ ... you'll pay 50-60$ for 1 TB.

The 3600 comes with a stock cooler that's decent and perfectly fine if you don't overclock the cpu, it may be a bit noisy at high rpm but you won't hear it over the video card fans anyway when you're gaming. So you can save some money initially by not buying a cpu cooler, you can put that money towards better psu or better motherboard. 

14 hours ago, NZgamer said:

What's your budget and country?

My budget is 1700$ (incluiding hardware, monitor and case) and im from Peru!

14 hours ago, 5x5 said:

Do NOT get a TT SMART power supply unless your goal is to start a fire.

Get a Be Quiet Pure Power Gold or Corsair TXM or Cooler Master MWE Gold.

Thanks!!!! i havent bought the powersupply yet, so thank you

14 hours ago, Aereldor said:

@5x5 @NZgamer @TofuHaroto - OP is in Peru. According to a google search, popular websites to buy computer parts over there appear to be 

http://www.memorykings.com.pe/    and    https://www.cyccomputer.pe/

His budget is 1600 USD, or about 5,500 Peruvian Sol

Read from his previous post.

You are correct sir, but i can buy some stuff around US price thanks to a website called "Aeropost.com", cause it gives 20$ off coupons plus some other discounts. So i usually can buy parts around 20 or 30$ dollars more than the normal price, cause in Peru they are usually around 50-80$ over the normal price

14 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

Please change it. Efficiency and wattage and brand are not quality. 

As a budget option get a cx which is a lot better or a better option is to get a straight power 11 or a txm unit. 

Why expensive overpriced ram? 

A ripjaws V kit will do the job and will probably cost less. Or look got a 3200 cl14 kit or a 3600 cl 16-16-16 kit which is usually b die..

The board is meh. Technically it has the capabilities to drive an 8 core but I wouldn't get an overpriced meh board in my opinion. 

Looks like the same thing just from different sources. 

But please don't get this board. 

For b450..

Tomahawk max. 

Mortar max. 

Pro 4. 

Pro vdh max. 

A pro max (non m). 

For b550.

Tomahawk. 

Mortar. 

Aorus pro. 

Strix f. 

Steel legend. 

Pro 4. 

For x570. 

Tomahawk. 

X570-p. 

Tuf. 

Budget for the board? 

Thanks so much for the answer. My budget can move around 180 to 200$. This because people have been telling me to not buy a CPU Cooler since the 3600 one will do. Around that price, what board would you buy?

14 hours ago, mariushm said:

Aim for a better power supply.

The motherboard is OK, and can handle 8 core processors, but it's not great.

It's same model, just different sellers, with boards in stock or not, and due to Covid and higher shipping costs (from Asia to those sellers) some will have higher prices.

On b450 chipset, MSI motherboards are best value for money, but not all msi boards are great. Look for Mortar, Tomohawk , Gaming Plus  , B450A-Pro ... these are good models.

That board is NOT worth 125$ ... it's more like a 100$ board.

You can get decent B550 boards for around 130-150$. You have MSI B550M bazooka at 129$ which isn't great considering the features, but has better vrm than that asus board. At 140$ you have MSI B550A-Pro which is ok

3600 Mhz memory is best for Ryzen, but you'll be perfectly fine with 3200 Mhz memory - the differences in performance would be very small. You don't need so expensive Gskill ram, get anything 3200 Mhz CL 18 or better, ideally CL16. These days the ram compatibility is quite high.

You can reuse the SSD, but don't buy a 1 TB mechanical drive if you don't have one already... the difference between 1 TB and 2TB or 3TB is usually very small, something like 10-20$ ... you'll pay 50-60$ for 1 TB.

The 3600 comes with a stock cooler that's decent and perfectly fine if you don't overclock the cpu, it may be a bit noisy at high rpm but you won't hear it over the video card fans anyway when you're gaming. So you can save some money initially by not buying a cpu cooler, you can put that money towards better psu or better motherboard. 

Ive already bought the GSkill ram memory, it is 3200 mhz and CL 16. I dont have a 1 TB mechanical drive. Im sorry if its ignorante (kinda new to this PC building world), what do you mean by reusing the SSD?. Thanks for the advice on the CPU Cooler, i really dont know know how to overclock at all and i was hoping to get into it. So, if i wanted to overclock i would 100% need the CPU Cooler right?

20 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

Budget for the board? 

150-200 $

1 hour ago, Renatto615 said:

150-200 $

B550 tomahawk. 

B550 mortar. 

B550 aorus pro. 

B550 strix f. 

B550 steel legend.

B450 (while cheaper will also be good). 

Tomahawk max. 

Mortar max. 

Pro 4. 

Pro vdh max. 

A pro max (non m.). 

Build Log: 

10 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

B550 tomahawk. 

B550 mortar. 

B550 aorus pro. 

B550 strix f. 

B550 steel legend.

B450 (while cheaper will also be good). 

Tomahawk max. 

Mortar max. 

Pro 4. 

Pro vdh max. 

A pro max (non m.). 

Would any of them work good with a CPU upgrade of the 7 3700x in the future and of course, overclocking

10 hours ago, Renatto615 said:

Would any of them work good with a CPU upgrade of the 7 3700x in the future and of course, overclocking

yep..

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

yep..

Thanks so much for the help dude, i appreciate it a lot. Would you mind telling me which one of the above motherboards would you buy. I opted for the B550 Tomahawk but would like your opinion on the matter. Thanks!!!!!

opted for the B550 Tomahawk but would like your opinion on the matter. Thanks!!!!!

all of these are decent. 

depends what they are priced at.. 

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

all of these are decent. 

depends what they are priced at.. 

B550 Tomahawk: US$ 180.

B550 Mortar: US$ 160

B550 aorus pro: US$ 180

B550 strix f: US$ 190

B550 steel legend: US$ 180

Tomahawk max: US$ 124 (BESTBUY) and US$ 242.99 (AMAZON).

Mortar max: US$ 195.99

Pro 4: US$ 175

Pro vdh max: US$ 140

Tomahawk max: US$ 124 (BESTBUY) and US$ 242.99 (AMAZON).

Mortar max: US$ 195.99

Pro 4: US$ 175

Pro vdh max: US$ 140

ok wow b450 prices are a bit harsh, if you can get the tomahawk max for 125 bucks, that would not be a bad deal. 

if you want b550.

either the aorus pro, mortar, tomahawk imo. steel legend and the strix f are also decent. 

Build Log: 

ok wow b450 prices are a bit harsh, if you can get the tomahawk max for 125 bucks, that would not be a bad deal. 

if you want b550.

either the aorus pro, mortar, tomahawk imo. steel legend and the strix f are also decent. 

Is there a difference between the B450 and the B550 or getting any of those wont change a thing in my future upgrades. Thanks again dude, helping me tons out here.

Is there a difference between the B450 and the B550 or getting any of those wont change a thing in my future upgrades

well with b550, the cpu lanes are pcie 4.0, other than that, since the tomahawk max will support zen 3 either way, that's  the most obvious difference, and b550 boards tend to have better vrm.

Build Log: 

well with b550, the cpu lanes are pcie 4.0, other than that, since the tomahawk max will support zen 3 either way, that's  the most obvious difference, and b550 boards tend to have better vrm.

Im between the Tomahawk Max and B550 Mortar (no max). Thanks so much dude, legit saved my life with the inside you giving me!!!

Tomahawk Max and B550 Mortar

i will note, the mortar has 10 50a drmos (not sure what model it is though sadly) and the tomahawk has 4 50a discrete mosfets. so the mortar is significantly  better in terms of the vrm.  

Build Log: 

9 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

i will note, the mortar has 10 50a drmos (not sure what model it is though sadly) and the tomahawk has 4 50a discrete mosfets. so the mortar is significantly  better in terms of the vrm.  

Is this the model you said? (the mortar one). https://www.newegg.com/msi-mag-b550m-mortar/p/N82E16813144328