Violence in Video Games

lapris54

Hi guys,                              MODS if this topic belongs in off topic im sorry but i did not know where to post it

Before you all think this is a repost it has a specific purpose that the others do not. I have to write either a discursive or persuasive essay for my end of year assignment for my qualification in English and i have decided to do it on video game violence so do you think it changes the behavior of people?

To anyone that posts please do not give yes or no answers explain it I will be using some of these in my essay if i can.

scholar.google.com

log in with your schools VPN and find psychology articles about this subject. You won't get much useful information out of random people on a forum. I can tell you right now, most of the media hype about "ermagawd he played CS and killed 11ppl" is bullshit. But go read a few articles and you'll have all the information you need ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Studies have shown that it has no effect on kids

MoBo: 970A-D3P CPU: FX-8350 GPU: HD 7950 PSU: 1000watt RAM:8Gb of G,skill 1600

scholar.google.com

log in with your schools VPN and find psychology articles about this subject. You won't get much useful information out of random people on a forum. I can tell you right now, most of the media hype about "ermagawd he played CS and killed 11ppl" is bullshit. But go read a few articles and you'll have all the information you need ^^

schools vpn?

Studies have shown that it has no effect on kids

What studies?

I think that once you're old enough to rationally tell the difference between fiction and reality, then violent video games are like any other 'more accepted' form of entertainment like books or movies. However I can see it making young kids pretty aggressive, Exhibit A: 9 year olds cussing you out on call of duty.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

schools vpn?

google scholar find articles in many different research libraries, you'll pay 20-40$ / article without a school access, or use a PC there or something.

What studies?

I'll see if I can find the source real quick

scholar.google.com

Counter-Strike should only be used in training for 5 or less murders.

thanks these will be really helpful

np

No, you have kids that grow up with gun shots when they sleep but people still lean towards this. But then, technically yes. It depends on the individual who is playing these games. For instance a well raised kid vs a kid with fight parent and in a violent neighborhood. Video games effect kids in many different ways and some for the beater. Newer games have a very interesting plot with a meaningful ending, in AC5 I was running around killing people with my hidden blade but the ending made me cry

(Sorry for bad paragraph layout, still half asleep)

No, you have kids that grow up with gun shots when they sleep but people still lean towards this. But then, technically yes. It depends on the individual who is playing these games. For instance a well raised kid vs a kid with fight parent and in a violent neighborhood. Video games effect kids in many different ways and some for the beater. Newer games have a very interesting plot with a meaningful ending, in AC5 I was running around killing people with my hidden blade but the ending made me cry

(Sorry for bad paragraph layout, still half asleep)

Nice to know you have a game that has not been released yet :P

Batman causes violence :ph34r:

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Batman causes violence :ph34r:

thats the kind of answer i was NOT looking for

Violence existed pre-video games, you know perfectly well its a scapegoat of people not willing to look at the real answers, being, humans are violent plain and simple, just sit two kids together in a nice green peaceful meadow and wait N minutes, one will be crying soon after.

We could then scapegoat the meadow as causing violence.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

my advice is, say that it does change behavior, even if you do not believe it as its easier to find arguments on teh internets 

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

I'm pretty sure that some of your points will have to be backed by statistics and data otherwise it's just a matter of opinion. 

Intel i7 4790k / MSI Z97M / Hyper 212 Evo / MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz / Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 / Corsair CS750M / Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD /  WD Blue 1TB

I dont think that games make people violent... but if someone claims that they does then thats what makes people that play games violent (against that person).

Video games can both create violence or act as an outlet for releasing it. Everyone has the ability to think or act violently and it can be triggered be many things, video games are just one of them. Video games can also be used to release your anger on virtual beings, rather than physical ones. Good? Bad? I would tend to say good.

Again, if you want actual answers, you'll have to do actual research, this thread isn't going to get you anywhere.

Nice to know you have a game that has not been released yet :P

Ment AC4 lol