Need help! MSI Afterburner fan slider randomly not working

Hello,

I sometimes have a problem with MSI Afterburner where the manual and custom fan curve of my GPU don't want to work for some seemingly inexplicable reason and I can't figure out how to solve this problem.

GPU: MSI RTX 2080TI Gaming X Trio
Motherboard: MSI X570 Godlike

The problem would normally occur ONLY with games such as Borderlands 3 and Ghost Recon Breakpoint (this has been happening for a while now). If I would start up MSI before I start up one of these games the fan control will do exactly what it needs to do but as soon as I actually start one of the aformentioned games, MSI would crash and restart which would result in me being able to adjust everything except the fan slider (manual and custom). I figured this had something to do with a file within the game directory somehow preventing me from adjusting my fan slider (and custom fan curve). I could not exactly find a solution on Google regarding the GPU fan control problem with those games. Normally the GPU fan controls would work with any other game.

However, I got the fan error on Monday (July 6th, 2020) when I started MSI. I wanted to turn on my OC and I hadn't even started a game yet. MSI didn't crash like Borderlands 3 and Ghost Recon Breakpoint but the slider simply didn't react the way it should have. I've never had it happen in that way before ONLY when I started the above mentioned games. All of my GPU drivers are up to date.

What I have already tried to do:

- I downloaded Precision X1 and checked if the problem would persist there as well. Unfortunately the fan slider would not work here either.

- I reinstalled MSI Afterburner (even the beta version) but to no avail.

- I downloaded a different program that would let me control the GPU fans called 'Argus Monitor. It unfortunately acted the exact same way as Afterburner and Precision X1

- To check how the fans would react to a synthetic benchmark I launched Kombuster (Monday July 6th, 2020). I set a custom fan curve in the hopes the fans would react as they should based on my fan curve. In Kombuster (with different kinds of Kombuster bencharks) the fans would ramp up and would almost immeditaley die down to a certain fan speed (like 20ish %) and then ramp up again as if something was inhibiting the fans from increasing its speed. This however, does NOT occur when playing a game. In games the fan speed is more constant but usually does not exceed a fan speed % estimate of 55. 

Note: My issue is NOT that the fans won't spin at all when playing a game. The issue now is that I somehow do not have control over the GPU fan slider wether I play a game or not as of July 6th, 2020. This problem used to be more contained with games like Borderlands 3 and Ghost Recon Breakpoint but now it is constant. Something else is controlling my GPU fans.

I again started up my PC (July 7, 2020) and the first (and only) thing I did was to check if MSI Afterburner somehow had restored my control over my fan speed. Unfortunately this was not the case and the problem still seems to persist.

This video I found on Youtube shows my exact problem:

As of today August 25th, 2020 I am still struggling with this issue

I was wondering if someone could make anything out of this and help me figure out a solution.

Thank you in advance!

I have the EXACT same issue. I suspect the issue is actually the fact that we have an up to date GPU driver. I downgraded my driver to a fairly old one from about 4 months ago and the custom fan functionality returned. I restarted my computer for good measure, then the issue came back up. I am fairly certain the issue is a driver bug. If you really want to fix it, I would download a 2+ month old driver and stick with it. I ended up just using the current drivers because I really hate not being up to date plus my temps are not too bad so I can just wait until they fix this bug. 

1 hour ago, corrupt733 said:

I have the EXACT same issue. I suspect the issue is actually the fact that we have an up to date GPU driver. I downgraded my driver to a fairly old one from about 4 months ago and the custom fan functionality returned. I restarted my computer for good measure, then the issue came back up. I am fairly certain the issue is a driver bug. If you really want to fix it, I would download a 2+ month old driver and stick with it. I ended up just using the current drivers because I really hate not being up to date plus my temps are not too bad so I can just wait until they fix this bug. 

Thanks for the information dude. Its ridiculous that this (assuming you are right) is a driver issue. My GPU fanspeed is always around 50ish even though I get temps of near 80. But like I said it used to be more contained with BO3 or Ghost recon Breakpoint (still dont know why those games bugged out my GPU fanspeed). I really hope you are right because I am running out of things to look into to resolve this issue to be honest.

Can you post this on reddit or something? Maybe we will get more help there. Maybe in tech support or pc gaming subreddits. 

If you click on the gear icon in the fan speed setting, does that change anything?  I know if you click on the gear icon, it highlights the fan speed setting and activates the custom fan curve. If the fan speed isn't highlighted, then it's on a stock curve. It was a bit hard to tell in the youtube video cause of the text overlay. 

On 7/25/2020 at 1:29 AM, 57chevy said:

If you click on the gear icon in the fan speed setting, does that change anything?  I know if you click on the gear icon, it highlights the fan speed setting and activates the custom fan curve. If the fan speed isn't highlighted, then it's on a stock curve. It was a bit hard to tell in the youtube video cause of the text overlay. 

It does nothing, it just automatically reverts back to whatever fan speed it was on. 

Okay for some reason I did not get a notification about your comments, sorry about that. I currently do not have a Reddit account so I dont know the proper subreddits to post this on. But if you do have one and would like to copy this post that is perfectly fine with me! Just be sure to to communicate the solution (if one has been provided to you on your Reddit post) back to this post if you can.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2020 at 6:41 PM, Emiel255 said:

Any possible solutions regarding this issue that you have found?

I usually always update my drivers and download them for optimization but recently updated to 452.06 released on 8/17/2020 and it messed up my GPU fan issues. I always manual set my fan curve in after burner at 75% for cooling purposes when gaming. After the update I would do my usual manual fan % but wouldn't hear my usual GPU fans ramp up to 75% like I usually do. Like you I would put to 75% but it would kick back and go back to whatever % it was on before even my customize fan curve wasn't working. I like to keep my PC cool as I can when gaming and I reverted and reinstalled previous driver on Nvida website. Now my fan curve works again on my msi 2080 gaming x trio. Happy gaming! Hope this helps 

On 8/24/2020 at 6:41 PM, Emiel255 said:

Any possible solutions regarding this issue that you have found?

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/162102/en-us

Download and it'll run it's own utility program separate from Geforce Experience reverting old drivers. I'm so happy I'm able to control my fans again and I thought it was a msi afterburner issue and re-installed it 

On 9/6/2020 at 8:14 PM, N8iveWarMachine said:

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/162102/en-us

Download and it'll run it's own utility program separate from Geforce Experience reverting old drivers. I'm so happy I'm able to control my fans again and I thought it was a msi afterburner issue and re-installed it 

Hey thank you for your response! So to summarize you reverted to the previous driver version from the current 452.06 Geforce to its precursor called 451.67?

Aka this one?

https://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownload-March2009/confirmation.php?url=/Windows/451.67/451.67-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe&lang=us&type=TITAN

• 2 months later...

Me too I have a same problem but here's mine
Can someone explain me why my fvcking msi afterburner stay in fan speed in 15% even my fan curve is on when im open a games like valorant, dota 2 etc. i dont know why but after i close my game, It back to normal like the fan curve gonna be fixed. Please can someone help me? I dont know how to fix it i try it to adjust but the fan will go back to 15%. Only when i play game msi afterburner fan speed is bugging.

ps I have 1660 super

please help me 

• 2 months later...

Same problem here -  Crosshair viii mobo,msi rtx 3090 gaming x trio GPU

Ive tried all the various bits of software stated above none of which work and like the youtube video above the slider in afterburner just pings back to zero every time I apply it.

Ive tried installing,reinstalling even tried MSIs Dragon software..useless

Im at a complete loss :-(

• 2 months later...

[SOLUTION!!!]

Hey I'm extremely new and made an account just so I could reply to this thread!

I had this issue for at least a year now and have SOLVED it!

If you are an MSI graphics card user like me (msi 2080 super gaming x trio OC in my case), you most likely have Dragon Centre installed. Inside of Dragon Centre Under the tools section their is an option called Zero Frozr. I thought to turn it off way back when because I didn't want my fan speeds going to zero

BUT

I found out that if Zero Frozr is turned off, then msi afterburner fan curve stops working, so I turned Zero Frozr back on and selected the option to NOT have dragon center open on windows start up. Now my MSI Afterburner Fan Curve is working completely perfectly with no random fan speed jumps or hitches!

I really hope this helps you, I struggled for a long long time to fix this and just figured it out today!

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2021 at 7:05 PM, Veebz_ZA said:

[SOLUTION!!!]

Hey I'm extremely new and made an account just so I could reply to this thread!

I had this issue for at least a year now and have SOLVED it!

If you are an MSI graphics card user like me (msi 2080 super gaming x trio OC in my case), you most likely have Dragon Centre installed. Inside of Dragon Centre Under the tools section their is an option called Zero Frozr. I thought to turn it off way back when because I didn't want my fan speeds going to zero

BUT

I found out that if Zero Frozr is turned off, then msi afterburner fan curve stops working, so I turned Zero Frozr back on and selected the option to NOT have dragon center open on windows start up. Now my MSI Afterburner Fan Curve is working completely perfectly with no random fan speed jumps or hitches!

I really hope this helps you, I struggled for a long long time to fix this and just figured it out today!

Cheers!

Ah finally after like 2-3 months a proper fix.

Thanks a bunch! 👍