High end laptop not for gaming?

Hey guys,

I hope it's the right place to ask.

I'm looking for a high end laptop with a good i7 (or AMD Ryzen 7 3700X for example), but I don't require a good graphics card, and preferable no big SSD. But all the high end laptops I see are designed for gaming, and include a good graphics and big SSD.

Are there any high end laptops without a powerful graphics out there?

I'm assuming you can't really build your own laptop

Thanks in advance!

You can buy one with a powerful gpu and just not use it. 

The gpu will not pull any extra power or generate extra heat if you aren't using it.

Do this , decide what cpu you want and what your budget is , and just ignore the gpu and ssd and pick a laptop that has the cpu you want for the budget.

Why do you need an i7 then? There are plenty like the dell xps (overheats with high end cpu's), lg gram, lenovo carbon, hp spectre,...

If you want a nice decent laptop that will get you through the day the new hp envy x360 with a 4500u is plenty. The cpu is better than anything intel can deliver in the low power category and even competes with their big boi chips without any trouble.

Thanks for your answers guys,

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

You can buy one with a powerful gpu and just not use it. 

The gpu will not pull any extra power or generate extra heat if you aren't using it.

Do this , decide what cpu you want and what your budget is , and just ignore the gpu and ssd and pick a laptop that has the cpu you want for the budget.

Yes of course that's an option, I'm just trying to save some money

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Why do you need an i7 then? There are plenty like the dell xps (overheats with high end cpu's), lg gram, lenovo carbon, hp spectre,...

If you want a nice decent laptop that will get you through the day the new hp envy x360 with a 4500u is plenty. The cpu is better than anything intel can deliver in the low power category and even competes with their big boi chips without any trouble.

I need it for music production, and the strong cpu is actually very important for my work. The Dell xps has an i7-u which heats and the throttle right? Basically I need the specs of the gaming laptops but without the graphics, does such thing exists?

Thanks again

You are right, you cant realy build a laptop. You could try to build a portable PC with peripherals but it would be a lot bigger than a laptop and possibly more expensive.

What exaclty is you usecase? Why dont you want a dedicated GPU?

6 minutes ago, Haveri said:

Hey guys,

I hope it's the right place to ask.

I'm looking for a high end laptop with a good i7 (or AMD Ryzen 7 3700X for example), but I don't require a good graphics card, and preferable no big SSD. But all the high end laptops I see are designed for gaming, and include a good graphics and big SSD.

Are there any high end laptops without a powerful graphics out there?

I'm assuming you can't really build your own laptop

Thanks in advance!

Look at the workstation laptops, like ThinkPads. But you'll find many still have a GPU beyond the iGPU. There are even Xeon based Laptops - one of the custom configurators might let you remove the beefy GPU option. But what's your budget?

3 minutes ago, Haveri said:

whats the budget

3 minutes ago, Haveri said:

I need it for music production, and the strong cpu is actually very important for my work. The Dell xps has an i7-u which heats and the throttle right? Basically I need the specs of the gaming laptops but without the graphics, does such thing exists?

Thanks again

You could get any random 4800h or 4800hs laptop and call it a day. They'll all have a gpu with them but they are a lot cheaper than intel cpu's with around the same performance and fit into small devices due to not getting so hot.

Thanks guys,

I'm sorry I wasn't specific enough

4 minutes ago, emosun said:

whats the budget

My budget is around 2200 usd, and I'm looking for something like:

1. i7 8700k or something similar, or AMD equivalent

2. 32gb ram ddr4

3. 250gb ssd and not more (if possible of course)

4, Good cooling so it can strain for a long period of time

5. Basic GPU if possible

Is there a laptop similar to this? Thanks again!

you can configure the lenovo Ideapad with an ryzen 7 4700u
Its not as powerful, as you might like, but it also comes without a dGPU

Ok I just read the 32GB of memory, so forget what I said.
It only goes up to 16GB

12 minutes ago, Haveri said:

Thanks again

Why not just go MacBook Pro for music production? My 2014 MacBook Pro 15inch holds up comparable in cubase to my 3600 ryzen build.

Thanks guys,

2. 32gb ram ddr4

5. Basic GPU if possible

You really don’t need that much for music production. 16gb ram will be easy more than enough and even any i5 will do. 

5 minutes ago, Haveri said:

250gb ssd and not more (if possible of course)

again.... is there a reason more isn't preferable becuase what you're asking for is an incredibly unbalanced machine which nobody in their right mind would attempt to sell premade without being a selectable configuration

Just now, The Torrent said:

You really don’t need that much for music production. 16gb ram will be easy more than enough and even any i5 will do. 

I would disagree if they are doing symphony music.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

again.... is there a reason more isn't preferable becuase what you're asking for is an incredibly unbalanced machine which nobody in their right mind would attempt to sell premade without being a selectable configuration

Except Apple... lol

Currently I have i7-8550u and I can barely work with it, after 15 minutes it starts peaking like crazy and I have to restart or turn off my laptop. I'm using CPU hungry vsts

And I know 32gb is a bit overkill but yes I'm loading some heavy patches sometimes for symphonic music

You're right that such system with only 250gb ssd doesn't make a lot of sense, but maybe just without a strong GPU?

7 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

Why not just go MacBook Pro for music production? My 2014 MacBook Pro 15inch holds up comparable in cubase to my 3600 ryzen build.

Thanks I'll check it out too, I just preferred a pc over MacBook to save some money

1 minute ago, Haveri said:

Thanks I'll check it out too, I just preferred a pc over MacBook to save some money

might also be worth waiting until the end of the year if your going to buy a new model, as their arm architecure macs are coming out. im not sure if your daw will be supported however.

1 minute ago, Haveri said:

Zephyrus g14, Zephyrus g15, Dell g5 se and msi bravo 15 are a few of them that will do all you requested part from the small ssd. Which is not a problem because why wouldn't you be happier with more?

Thanks guys,

2. 32gb ram ddr4

5. Basic GPU if possible

Dell XPS-15 9500? Still has a GPU (GTX1650Ti). 
Slightly over your $2200, but... https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-laptops-and-notebooks/new-xps-15-9500-laptop/spd/xps-15-9500-laptop/ctox15w10p1c2400?configurationid=46bb531d-c63e-483e-b105-b4b036a9e2c0

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Zephyrus g14, Zephyrus g15, Dell g5 se and msi bravo 15 are a few of them that will do all you requested part from the small ssd. Which is not a problem because why wouldn't you be happier with more?

Thanks a lot they look good I'll check out more about them

4 minutes ago, TehDwonz said:

Thank you wow it's i9 that's a bit overkill
Funnily enough it has a small SSD 🙂

Thank you very much guys

2 minutes ago, Haveri said:

Thanks a lot they look good I'll check out more about them

Thank you wow it's i9 that's a bit overkill
Funnily enough it has a small SSD 🙂

Thank you very much guys

Fyi the i9 dell xps overheats like crazy it's not a well designed device. For that money you could get a much better zephyrus g14 with better battery life and better performance for cheaper.

Just now, jaslion said:

Fyi the i9 dell xps overheats like crazy it's not a well designed device. For that money you could get a much better zephyrus g14 with better battery life and better performance for cheaper.

Or just drop it down to i7 in the config. That was just one I did. Could even drop to i5 10th gen, and up the SSD to 1TB.

Thanks guys, I'm thinking of going with the ROG Zephyrus G14, with AMD Ryzen™ 7 4800HS, 16gb ram and just upgrade the ram in the future. In costs only 1300$ so it will be a big saving