Best PSU for $120 RN

Crxcked

My PSU budget is ~$120 and I'm looking for a modular unit in the 600-750w range to order right now.

EVGA and Corsair preferred. Gold rating and higher wattage preferred.

With the shortages, its difficult sorting through overpriced garbo leftovers. Thank you for any help!

9 minutes ago, Crxcked said:

EVGA and Corsair preferred. Gold rating and higher wattage preferred

brand, wattage, and rating isnt quality though

what parts are you powering?

something like this should be solid

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qbK2FT/seasonic-focus-650-w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-focus-gm-650

Edited by Oswin

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

10 minutes ago, Crxcked said:

EVGA and Corsair preferred. Gold rating and higher wattage preferred.

Brand and wattage and efficiency have nothing to do with quality. 

Parts?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

39 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Brand and wattage and efficiency have nothing to do with quality. 

Parts?

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 [oc'd]

MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

G. Skill Ripjaws V 3600 [oc'd]

EVGA RTX 2060 KO Ultra [oc'd]

Crucial MX500 1TB

Can be powered with a 500-600 range too, but I'd like room for upgrade-ability, so I'd prefer more watts.

Edit: Included what could/would be overclocked soon.

Also, the EVGA and Corsair webstores aren't indexed by pcpp. So I wanted to look into those but the product lines have gotten far more complicated since last I shopped for psu's, mainly EVGA which has just flooded its G lineup.

5 minutes ago, Crxcked said:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600

MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

G. Skill Ripjaws V 3600

EVGA RTX 2060 KO Ultra

Crucial MX500 1TB

Can be powered with a 500-600 range too, but I'd like room for upgrade-ability, so I'd prefer more watts.

It could be powered by a 300W PSU. If you want upgradability, get a higher end PSU, not a higher wattage and lower end PSU.

Looking on PCPP and the store pages, the Ion+ 560W, Straight Power 11 Gold 550W, RM550x and Straight Power 11 Platinum are in stock.

The Ion+ is the least expensive and has most PCIe connectors (2 cables with 2x 6+2 pin), but is the second least quiet (1034 RPM, 28.6 dBA at 100%).

The Straight Power 11 Gold has individual cables for each of the two PCIe connectors (which is what you want for GPUs with a TDP >225W), but is the least quiet (1295 RPM, 32.3 dBA)

The RM550x only has a single PCIe cable with two connectors (so I would not recommend using it with GPUs with a TDP >225W). 983 RPM, 27.1 dBA.

The Straight Power 11 Platinum is the quietest at 632 RPM and 17.9 dBA under load. Cables are the same as on the Gold version. The ripple is a lot higher than on any of the others, though, with over 40 mV on 12V

:)

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

It could be powered by a 300W PSU. If you want upgradability, get a higher end PSU, not a higher wattage and lower end PSU.

Looking on PCPP and the store pages, the Ion+ 560W, Straight Power 11 Gold 550W, RM550x and Straight Power 11 Platinum are in stock.

The Ion+ is the least expensive and has most PCIe connectors (2 cables with 2x 6+2 pin), but is the second least quiet (1034 RPM, 28.6 dBA at 100%).

The Straight Power 11 Gold has individual cables for each of the two PCIe connectors (which is what you want for GPUs with a TDP >225W), but is the least quiet (1295 RPM, 32.3 dBA)

The RM550x only has a single PCIe cable with two connectors (so I would not recommend using it with GPUs with a TDP >225W). 983 RPM, 27.1 dBA.

The Straight Power 11 Platinum is the quietest at 632 RPM and 17.9 dBA under load. Cables are the same as on the Gold version. The ripple is a lot higher than on any of the others, though, with over 40 mV on 12V

Thank you for your detailed suggestions. I understand that PSU's are highly nuanced with technicalities, but I by no means want to forgo quality for higher wattage.

In which case, how would you rate this unit: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-GA-0650-X1

Seems to be quality in my eyes while also having higher wattage and fitting the budget.

16 minutes ago, Crxcked said:

Thank you for your detailed suggestions. I understand that PSU's are highly nuanced with technicalities, but I by no means want to forgo quality for higher wattage.

In which case, how would you rate this unit: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-GA-0650-X1

Seems to be quality in my eyes while also having higher wattage and fitting the budget.

How did you get to this conclusion?

16 minutes ago, Crxcked said:

Seems to be quality in my eyes

There are no reviews of it, so as with any other PSU, assume that it's crap until proven otherwise. Which is not hard to do, considering the absolute crap show that is EVGA's PSU lineup.

:)

9 minutes ago, seon123 said:

How did you get to this conclusion?

All Japanese caps, dc-to-dc, 10 year warranty, rated Tier B+ by LTT forums.... Besides the lack of reviews, it still seemed like a safe bet.

Out of the ones you suggested, I've decided the Straight Power 11 Platinum but my only woe with it is the 550w, if I can find 650w of that anywhere, I'll definitely go for that for just an extra $10.

Any further suggestions? Or is the be quiet a go?