i7 9700k thermal throttling at 4.5 mhz

Go to solution Solved by Abraxas8900,

his video seems helpful what do you guys think ?

6 minutes ago, Abraxas8900 said:

well i adjusted the volt on the dram to 1.350 cpu vccio to 1.05 pch core volt to 1.0 cpu standby voltage to 1.00 and the cpu system agent voltage to 1.10. my cpu frequency is at 4.5 and the cpu cache ratio to 4.3 . any one has anymore voltage setups for 4.9 on the cpu frequency?

4.9ghz cpu frequency? 

Are you still thermal throttling? Your Cpu cooler should be able to handle this chip fairly well...

Can I ask a question??

What is the ambient temp of the room the PC is in?

the temp varies I live in a hot part of America  my room must be at 75 to 90 fehrenheit with the a/c on.

18 minutes ago, Abraxas8900 said:

the temp varies I live in a hot part of America  my room must be at 75 to 90 fehrenheit with the a/c on.

Quote or tag me so I don't miss your posts!

75 - 90F is a big swing in temps. Let's say an average of like 82.5F. That's about 28c. Not too bad, but not great. At least the air is dry, so that's a plus for you.

Are you sure the cooler is mounted and thermal paste is applied well?? 

What paste did you use? 

23 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

75 - 90F is a big swing in temps. Let's say an average of like 82.5F. That's about 28c. Not too bad, but not great. At least the air is dry, so that's a plus for you.

What paste did you use? 

yeah, i uninstalled the cooler tower and cleaned the cpu and tower of the paste 2x.  

23 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

What paste did you use? 

the paste that comes in the cooler tower.

Just now, Abraxas8900 said:

yeah, i uninstalled the cooler tower and cleaned the cpu and tower of the paste 2x.  

Try MX-4 instead. 

https://www.arctic.ac/us_en/mx-4.html

The 9700k is soldered and I'm hesitant to believe that at 4.5ghz, which is actually below stock settings (which should be 4.6ghz all-core), and using the best air cooler on the market, and while stressing with the weakest stress test on the market (XTU), is throttling without something else going wrong.

I think you underestimated how much mounting pressure you need.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

15 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

The 9700k is soldered and I'm hesitant to believe that at 4.5ghz, which is actually below stock settings (which should be 4.6ghz all-core), and using the best air cooler on the market, and while stressing with the weakest stress test on the market (XTU), is throttling without something else going wrong.

I think you underestimated how much mounting pressure you need.

ok i'll reinstall the cpu cooler tower again but this time i'll screw those nuts tighly, but i have been checking the cpu cooler for sagging.

10 minutes ago, Abraxas8900 said:

ok i'll reinstall the cpu cooler tower again but this time i'll screw those nuts tighly, but i have been checking the cpu cooler for sagging.

Don't crank it down with the might of Thor, but don't treat it like a fragile butterfly either.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

does any one know if asus tuf gaming plus wifi ai suite overclock preset might have the voltage set high ? cause i have it set on the ai suite on overcocl 1 setting.

10 minutes ago, Abraxas8900 said:

does any one know if asus tuf gaming plus wifi ai suite overclock preset might have the voltage set high ? cause i have it set on the ai suite on overcocl 1 setting.

idk but i never use automatic overclock settings.

What does HWInfo say your voltage is during use?

You reported 1.3 earlier, and it was my assumption that was the voltage.

EDIT: 1.3 was for your VCCIO. What is your Core Voltage/VCORE reading? In CPUZ if you don't have HWINFO

6 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Don't crank it down with the might of Thor, but don't treat it like a fragile butterfly either.

i'll do that but i think the cooler is on there pretty tight.

Just now, Mister Woof said:

idk but i never use automatic overclock settings.

What does HWInfo say your voltage is during use?

You reported 1.3 earlier, and it was my assumption that was the voltage.

ai siute.PNG

Just now, Abraxas8900 said:

ai siute.PNG

Can you just uninstall that ASUS software? I think it's probably doing you more harm than good.

Use BIOS to make your OC settings manually

Use HWINFO64 and CPUZ for data collection/validation

Use Cinebench R20 for initial stability and benchmarking

Use A64/ASUS Realbench/P95 for stability testing

this is how i got it set up nowand the results of my cinebench

cinebench.PNG

2 minutes ago, Abraxas8900 said:

this is how i got it set up nowand the results of my cinebench

cinebench.PNG

Okay, but what about your HWInfo64 readings?

Something like this:

HWINFO64.png.a26eb9d69f4301bc0457b88672531e41.png

its weird the on my ai suite the cpu frequency never went above 4.6 even thoughi set the cpu frequency to 4.9

3 minutes ago, Abraxas8900 said:

its weird the on my ai suite the cpu frequency never went above 4.6 even thoughi set the cpu frequency to 4.9

It probably doesn't work. 

If you use the method most of us have recommended, you'll probably have a much better experience.

Your voltage is a bit high, at 1.39, and you appear to be at 4.6ghz locked. That said, that's factory boost and it should be under 1.3v for that speed.

Your cache is the same, i'd set it a couple hundred mhz lower.

idle temps look fine.

I think if you manually set your CPU you'd be in a better place thermally.

At that frequency, you probably can get it at 1.2v or under if you got a good chip. 

1.38v is near the limit on voltage.

Just now, Mister Woof said:

Your voltage is a bit high, at 1.39, and you appear to be at 4.6ghz locked. That said, that's factory boost and it should be under 1.3v for that speed.

Your cache is the same, i'd set it a couple hundred mhz lower.

idle temps look fine.

I think if you manually set your CPU you'd be in a better place.

the bios is so diffrent from the ai suite where would i look to change the 1.3v on the factory boost

dam where in the ai suite do you set the factory overclock to 1.3v?

1 minute ago, Abraxas8900 said:

the bios is so diffrent from the ai suite where would i look to change the 1.3v on the factory boost

It will be somewhat specific to your motherboard, but in essence:

Set your desired mulitplier

Worry about cache later

set your voltage to 1.3

disable c-states

remove power limit/set to max

disable VTI

disable igpu

validate with a quick cbr20, if it passes, use one of those other tests to stress it. Keep thermals under 90c during stress. keep an eye on vrm, keep it under 100.

if it fails, increase voltage slightly and repeat validation/checking thermals.

if it succeeds, lower voltage until it fails, then go back up slightly, validate.

OR
if it succeeds, increase multiplier until it fails, then go back down slightly, validate.

afterwards, set your cache a few hundred mhz below your core. test.