CPU problem? Framedrop and possible bottleneck

Hey guys! I have tried some troubleshooting myself, and am to the point I think I know the problem. My only concern is that if I am right, I have to buy a new cpu and motherboard, which I do not wish to do if I can find any other way to fix my problem. Anyways My rig consists of an intel I7-6700 nonK, Samsung 860 evo ssd, 16gb 2333 ram, amd 5700 (non reference card), with an Asus hero mobo. I am having trouble with getting a smooth gameplay, especially with first person shooters. I really think it is something to do with the CPU, however I am unsure. I will get decent frame rates (above 60) and then go to turn and shoot someone and have frame drops/freezing. I can't tell exactly what the problem is, I just know that it is enough to make me not play on my PC, as I can't manage to have a smooth gameplay. I have tried turning down the settings and it does not seem to help. Stress tests for the gpu run fine, and this leads me to believe that my cpu is either just underpowered for my GPU, or that there is something wrong with it. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

Download something like msi afterburner so you can see what your cpu, gpu, and memory are all doing when this happens, 

Look at your frametimes (the times between the frames, you could have 19134728347 fps but if the frametimes shoot up it will feel worse than 30)

What is your cpu % at? if its hitting 100% and all of a sudden your system slows down that could be it, or you could even be running out of memory and the system locks up trying to free up more, however 16gb should be fine

see if turning on vsync helps at all too

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

A CPU Does NOT have to be 100% to create issues like this. Software comes in all forms..

The CPUTHREADs used by Games can be singular in action and show say 13-25% CPU and still be the bottleneck.

I'm surprised your stuttering on such hardware.... but the 5700 series is WAY more powerful a GTX1070/1660SUPER that would give less to no issues on such a system.

Msi Afterburner and Monitor ingame aspects seems a great idea to hopefully catch it in graphs and have more info.

OP - What runs in background while you game?

System tray and all....

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I'm looking into it now! I'll post any information that I can find that might help. I've tried v-sync, and it helps for general tearing, but not with the other issue. I did switch from a 970, although I used CRU and followed the proper procedure (Well, as best as I know how) .

This is the graph I got from playing Warzone, I was getting good framerates (around 120) and then would randomly drop to 40-70 and it would cause a frame drop that would make my screen freeze for roughly half a second or so. Very frustrating in a FPS! I thought I had it figured out and it seemed to be running smoother earlier, but then it got worse as I played. Any help would be appreciated!

26 minutes ago, hwats483 said:

Screenshot (139).png

Anything you dont RIGHT NOW NEED.

Like.. launchers have an option to NOT load on System startup.. same as Malwarebytes and likely others.

Rightclick icons, go to setup or settings/preferences, disable launch on startup.

I create a Tools Folder on the desktop and throw all my icons in there for when needed, remove these launchers and some apps from startup.

So no one is tasking instructions in the background while you play.

(Also,In Windows settings->Privacy->Background Apps)

Select the Disable Background Apps

They still work, just will proper Quit when you Quit them.

I'd also remove AVG PC CLEANUP as its just a bloated example of something Windows already has.

You can Type "Disk Cleanup" on the start menu and run it on C:\

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

21 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Anything you dont RIGHT NOW NEED.

Like.. launchers have an option to NOT load on System startup.. same as Malwarebytes and likely others.

Rightclick icons, go to setup or settings/preferences, disable launch on startup.

I create a Tools Folder on the desktop and throw all my icons in there for when needed, remove these launchers and some apps from startup.

So no one is tasking instructions in the background while you play.

(Also,In Windows settings->Privacy->Background Apps)

Select the Disable Background Apps

They still work, just will proper Quit when you Quit them.

I'd also remove AVG PC CLEANUP as its just a bloated example of something Windows already has.

You can Type "Disk Cleanup" on the start menu and run it on C:\

Alright, I'll do that, hopefully it is as simple as that. I really enjoy pc gaming, but I can't stand those freezes!

1 hour ago, hwats483 said:

image.png.ca2b045221af4f06981b80cb65717472.png

The cpu is hitting 100c and throttling.

Check your cooling solution. Clean it, remove it and replace the paste. Be sure the fan is operational, change your fan curve..... anything. It's just running too hot.

3 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The cpu is hitting 100c and throttling.

Check your cooling solution. Clean it, remove it and replace the paste. Be sure the fan is operational, change your fan curve..... anything. It's just running too hot.

Think you are looking at the wrong line, The CPU is around 40 degrees.

1 minute ago, hwats483 said:

Think you are looking at the wrong line, The CPU is around 40 degrees.

The Cpu1 line, 2nd from the top, under the GPU temp.... yea that's the one throttling your rig.

One of those is temp on die and the other is off die.

Maybe compare these temps to other software such as HWinfo64.

22 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The Cpu1 line, 2nd from the top, under the GPU temp.... yea that's the one throttling your rig.

One of those is temp on die and the other is off die.

Maybe compare these temps to other software such as HWinfo64.

image.png.c75d081b6dc5aafc91f97983a814941a.png

Just now, hwats483 said:

image.png.c75d081b6dc5aafc91f97983a814941a.png

The numbers match here as well, I may be looking in the wrong spot? (BTW this is after a 10 minute stress test.)

Hwinfo64.

That's HWmonotor. Seems to be missing some temp readings. Hwinfo64 should cover everything. 

6 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Hwinfo64.

That's HWmonotor. Seems to be missing some temp readings. Hwinfo64 should cover everything. 

Gotcha, let me get back to the house and run that

25 minutes ago, hwats483 said:

Gotcha, let me get back to the house and run that

7 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Hwinfo64.

image.png.1377694e1bc57eca39d8317f415dd2a2.png

Then this would rule out a hardware issue, the temps look fine. So no need to replace the board and cpu...

In your games or a specific game you play most, try turning on vsync. See if that helps.

I've tried vsync and had no luck. I've also tried playing on my 29 inch ultrawide as well as my 27 inch monitor. Same problem with both, neither have freesync. 

8 minutes ago, hwats483 said:

I've tried vsync and had no luck. I've also tried playing on my 29 inch ultrawide as well as my 27 inch monitor. Same problem with both, neither have freesync. 

Well if we assume any bottle neck, you cant OC the cpu to eliminate it. So it could very well be the problem. 

But, I think you said it was smooth before and then this issue occured?? What was the change that made this happen??

It has been doing it for a long while now, I couldn't tell you exactly when. I did manage to catch it on a graph and it seems it is the frametime jumping up, just not sure why. I changed a few settings in the AMD software and it only did it once in the past 30 minutes, which is completely fine. The only problem is that it did that yesterday as well, and then started performing worse as the day went on. The temps never changed, and the only correlation I can find is between the cpu usage jumping up and the frametime jumping up as well. image.png.8029533ac684f7784ad1d34652712598.png

• 2 weeks later...

Alright guys, I decided to do a fresh install of windows. Sadly, that STILL has not fixed the problem. I truly am at a loss right now. It's slightly better if I play on my 60hz 1080p monitor than it is if I play on my Ultrawide. Not leaps and bounds better, but slight improvement. Does anyone have any other suggestions? 

27 minutes ago, hwats483 said:

Alright guys, I decided to do a fresh install of windows. Sadly, that STILL has not fixed the problem. I truly am at a loss right now. It's slightly better if I play on my 60hz 1080p monitor than it is if I play on my Ultrawide. Not leaps and bounds better, but slight improvement. Does anyone have any other suggestions? 

Sometimes reinstalling the game or restarting the PC is what works for me whenever the games start stuttering, but you already did a fresh installation of your O.S, so I doubt it would work for you. I wouldn't be surprised at all if your CPU being a bottleneck is the cause of your problems, with it only having 4 cores and 8 threads. A video game on average will use no less than 4 to 6 threads, so its not a whole lot to work with. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10