3900x and prime95 temperature,too high?

Hey guys,could you please post your results.

I let it to run for 5 minutes and temperature hit 90 C,so I had to stop it.

Is that to high under load?

I'm using H100i and everything is seated properly.

I'm using open case.

Here is the screenshot.

temp2.jpg

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

why did you stop it when it hit 90c? max temp is something like 105c, and it will shutdown itself if the temps get too high.

at stock speed, my 3900x also runs around 85c 4ghz on my dark rock pro 3.

it's a hot running chip

edit: cinebench R20 and intelburntest

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

And prime95 is irrealistic, nothing you do in real life will make it that hot.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just now, Moonzy said:

at stock speed, my 3900x also runs around 85c 4ghz on my dark rock pro 3.

it's a hot running chip

Damn yeaaah,that is wayyyy to hoooot.

I don't think I'll run it again...

I don't know why doesn't it boost to 4.2GHz to all cores,under full load I see all core at 4GHz!

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

If you're running Small FFT then yeah, it's kind of to be expected.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 minute ago, frozensun said:

I don't know why doesn't it boost to 4.2GHz to all cores,under full load I see all core at 4GHz!

i undervolted mine to 1.1v and 3.9-4ghz on the cores

runs around 70-75c, much more acceptable in my book

as my cpu is under 100% load 24/7

Just now, frozensun said:

It isn't too hot. You have a 12core CPU? Do you magically expect it to run at 20c idle and 50c under extreme load?

The max temp is 95c, which you are 5c under, and the CPU will auto-downclock to prevent damage.

Just now, gloop said:

It isn't too hot. You have a 12core CPU? Do you magically expect it to run at 20c idle and 50c under extreme load?

The max temp is 95c, which you are 5c under, and the CPU will auto-downclock to prevent damage.

not everyone is comfortable with their cpu running like a furnace

personally prefer my cpu to run below 80c under any circumstances

3 minutes ago, gloop said:

I paid 450 euros for CPU which will downclock after 5 min in Prime95...wtf???

4 minutes ago, frozensun said:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/ryzen-9-3900x-overclock#:~:text=The Ryzen 9 3900X is,CPU lifespan affirming%2C 1.250v.

Only 6% of AMD Ryzen 9 3900X CPUs capable of 4.2GHz in Silicon Lottery test

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

Because Prime95 is an unreasonable workload.

Show me one thing you do daily that DIRECTLY compares to P95.

Just now, Kilrah said:

Damn...I wasn't that lucky...thx for info.

But they spec this CPU to boost to 4.2GHz.

Ermm Lisa Su..lol.

Just now, gloop said:

Because Prime95 is an unreasonable workload.

Show me one thing you do daily that DIRECTLY compares to P95.

Well I do agree,I'll mostly be using it for video encoding...not sure if that stresses it like Prime95,but then again GPU takes that.

Ermm Lisa Su..lol.

Intel also spec 10900ks to reach 5.3GHzs. DO all of them reach it? No.

Yup, it's been complained about long ago...

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-3000-not-hitting-advertised-boost-speeds-survey,40291.html

F@H

GPD Win 2

6 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Here we go again with the "I paid x euros for y".

It's 12 cores at 4GHz running a very unrealistic AVX heavy workload (P95 without AVX is already unrealistic), what were you expecting? 

If price had anything to do with how much heat a CPU outputs, then the 3990X would practically be an LN2 generator.

4 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Ermm Lisa Su..lol.

I'm not aware of that. Officially, it's rated for 4.6GHz in single-core workloads, that's it, no all-core boost spec to be found.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Don't you guys think that is cheating then,I mean it's not much it's just 200MHz,but then again it's not fair.

I keep getting these surprises you are telling me.

I really didn't knew it can't reach 4.2 on all cores.

Let me read this. 

8 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Here we go again with the "I paid x euros for y".

It's 12 cores at 4GHz running a very unrealistic AVX heavy workload (P95 without AVX is already unrealistic), what were you expecting? 

If price had anything to do with how much heat a CPU outputs, then the 3990X would practically be an LN2 generator.

I'm not aware of that. Officially, it's rated for 4.6GHz in single-core workloads, that's it, no all-core boost spec to be found.

https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu-amd_ryzen_9_3900x-931

My friends there is only one value in red color in HWInfo..

Want me to post,and someone explain me is it smth serious?

Note I said officially. That website looks like a Userbenchmark clone. In other words, it's worthless.

4 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Note I said officially. That website looks like a Userbenchmark clone. In other words, it's worthless.

Actually that website is very famous.

Regardles,what is this?

pre.jpg

6 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Actually that website is very famous.

Regardles,what is this?

pre.jpg

Broken readings. Use Ryzen Master.

Also, the H100i mounting has some issues. Make sure it's not that. But to answer your concerns.

12 core @ 4GHz are going to produce heat. I suspect your cooler may be having mounting issues.

Also, boost clocks are single core values. It's clearly written on the box and in the manual.

12 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Broken readings. Use Ryzen Master.

Also, the H100i mounting has some issues. Make sure it's not that. But to answer your concerns.

12 core @ 4GHz are going to produce heat. I suspect your cooler may be having mounting issues.

Also, boost clocks are single core values. It's clearly written on the box and in the manual.

Nope,wrong assumption,installation of H100i is so easy even a blind man could install it :D
I just looked at the box and it is written max boost 4.6GHz  (and that is for one core),they didn't specify for all cores.

I can compare this CPU with my Xeon 2640 V3 who has ofc 1GHz less turbo boost but that CPU heats at around 55 C only.

But then again ofc technology is different,but 40 C difference is a lot.

32 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Nope,wrong assumption,installation of H100i is so easy even a blind man could install it :D

the cold plate on the h110i is designed for cpu with heat produced being in the center of the cpu

so to "correctly" mount it on the 3900x would need a bracket to offset it, since the heat produced on a 3900x is slightly off-centre

Spoiler

i also did some digging to determine if my cpu was underperforming, but it wasnt

almost every 3900x i see runs around 4ghz all cores, sustained load

edit: i guess if you're unhappy with the product, you could return it, or sell it

edit2: also, to hit 4.2ghz, your 3900x needs to be cooled to around 50c, which is kinda hard even for custom liquid cooling

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.eca515232e493e959914ba69d9265b32.png