A router that meets my needs?

Juju462

So, I just moved into a new place a couple of months ago.  ISP sends over a modem and router.  I hook everything up and go to manage my router and I get this very simple screen with the ISP logo on it.  I call the ISP to figure out why I can't manage my network and the lady did a horrible job of explaining anything. I'm not a network engineer or anything but I do have a degree in IT.  Basically she fed me this line saying how it's a new standard of router, which doesnt allow you to manage your network, and once you have this new standard you can't go back to the old standard.  She informs me the only way around this is to purchase my own router.

So what I need is router that allows multiple devices to connect to it with good transfer speeds....at any given time there could be 2-3 desktops hardwired, 2 phones, streaming movies on our tv, upto 3-4 laptops all running at once...any suggestions on something that won't have the wife making me sleep on the sofa?

a new ps5 lol. nah jk, I'll tell u when i figure out what i have lol

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

6 minutes ago, xXFitzXx said:

a new ps5 lol. nah jk, I'll tell u when i figure out what i have lol

Check that monitor you have in you parts list....its freesync...may not be g-sync

17 minutes ago, Juju462 said:

So, I just moved into a new place a couple of months ago.  ISP sends over a modem and router.  I hook everything up and go to manage my router and I get this very simple screen with the ISP logo on it.  I call the ISP to figure out why I can't manage my network and the lady did a horrible job of explaining anything. I'm not a network engineer or anything but I do have a degree in IT.  Basically she fed me this line saying how it's a new standard of router, which doesnt allow you to manage your network, and once you have this new standard you can't go back to the old standard.  She informs me the only way around this is to purchase my own router.

So what I need is router that allows multiple devices to connect to it with good transfer speeds....at any given time there could be 2-3 desktops hardwired, 2 phones, streaming movies on our tv, upto 3-4 laptops all running at once...any suggestions on something that won't have the wife making me sleep on the sofa?

Have a upper limit in budget ?

CPU - I9 10900 | CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series H100x AIO | Motherboard -  Aorus B460 PRO AC | RAM -G.SKILL Ripjaw V series 4x8GB 2666MHZ | Graphics Card - Gigabyte RTX 3070  | Power Supply - Cooler Master 650w  | Storage -  Working on a new Spicy 

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

Just now, Escapenz said:

Trying to keep it under 100....I found a night hawk for 86...but it doesnt have MIMO....not sure if that's super important 

2 minutes ago, Escapenz said:

Kids will be doing school work...my girl and I game togeather alot...and I work from home...mostly computer repair...so alot of windows updates and .iso file transfers

5 minutes ago, Escapenz said:

I'd like to set up a NAS and a cloud server

2 hours ago, Juju462 said:

modem and router.  I hook

As in a all in one aka a Gateway? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 hours ago, Donut417 said:

As in a all in one aka a Gateway? 

No two separate units

Just now, Juju462 said:

No two separate units

The router is technically more than just a router...its a router, access point, and switch...if that's what you mean....but the modem is separate 

Just now, Juju462 said:

The router is technically more than just a router...its a router, access point, and switch...if that's what you mean....but the modem is separate 

No I mean a modem and router in one. Many ISP's use these crappy things because its easier for them to troubleshoot if issues happen. Asus would be a good option Ive heard their firmware is not half bad. Netgear is known to have crappy software. TP-Link is a solid budget brand, though they might be lacking in features. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

No I mean a modem and router in one. Many ISP's use these crappy things because its easier for them to troubleshoot if issues happen. Asus would be a good option Ive heard their firmware is not half bad. Netgear is known to have crappy software. TP-Link is a solid budget brand, though they might be lacking in features. 

So I was looking at (and I know I'm opening myself up to scrutiny here) the older google wifi...not the google nest....I only have an 1,100 sqft home so range really isnt a huge issue for me seeing as how most routers I've looked at cover at least 1,500sqft....any thoughts on the google wifi unit? And the lack of ethernet isnt that big of a deal I do happen to have a 5 port switch just waiting to be put to use

1 minute ago, Juju462 said:

google wifi unit

My sister has them. They work fairly well I guess. But they don't have heavy usage. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

My sister has them. They work fairly well I guess. But they don't have heavy usage. 

Ugh...so to get anything comparable to what the ISP has sent me I have to spend over 100?

18 minutes ago, Juju462 said:

Ugh...so to get anything comparable to what the ISP has sent me I have to spend over 100?

No what I mean is my sister probably doesn't tax her connection like I tax mine. Though she is now working for home. 

You can choose a TP Link on a budget, but keep in mind that anything lower than $80 is probably crap to begin with. I spent $200 on what I have the Synology RT2600AC. Im sure you can find something decent for around $100, but you have to look. Asus might have something at that price point.