What is the exact purpose of Short Circuit compared to normal Linus videos?

zephyrus_001

Linus already does a lot of sponored content of LTT, and short-cuircuit is just more sponsored content with video sponsors (main-gear PC. laptops, and unboxy tech stuff).

Some of Linus' recent videos on the main channel have been "unboxing", which could have been uploaded to 'short-circuit' instead?

Does the existance of short-circuit mean better conent in the main channel? I really loved the older Linus review because the were in-depth (iSwitched [Imac 5k review], iphone6/iphone7 reviews?, S8 review,, he even did a great windows phone review [htc phone]) (or Luke's blue iphone video? I can think a lot of older videos that I liked a lot) (The ULTIMATE RGB PC Build Guide!)

even some non-linus videos are great, the intro to Key-mouse video! Taran's keyboard and Bandon's camera videos! even their short-ciruit videos (Taran/Brandon) were well done compared to Alex sounding like he's reading a product pdf like a wallmart sales rep.😅

I feel the channel is trading script/topic quality for quantity for the past 2 years. some of linus' older videos feel less obnoxious even though they are less polished (The ULTIMATE RGB PC Build Guide!)

I'm not hating on linus or anything because honestly Linus is the reason I watch these types of videos and i'm just concerned for the channel/media brand in general. Linus is the reason I got into PC building and tinker around with tech as a hobby. I watched the retirement livestream live and I thought of not talking about this, but I don't know I feel like the company's video production is losing direction, because linus is appealing to the broader audience.

There have been really good videos every now and then! the recent Linux video

Linus once said that he didn't see unboxing videos as having a future, but now he does a lot on sponsored content to the point that its scary. also there's less and more diluted review for both CPU's and phones to the point I don't see a difference between other channels that don't do in-depth reviews (ryzen XT cpus? I expected linux to say they are crap like GamersNexus or Hardware unboxed), this applies to phone reviews too they feel really diluted, like something Android Authority or some gerneic phone reviewer would write because those channels try to appeal to the niches and sell products in the end.

The older linux videos were poorly done, I dont know but I feel like if you put same effort as a server room upgrade in a linux video, linux video would have made a better videos but no.

Also I have a buisness idea, but since i'm just 19 years old  take it with a grain of salt, move all sponsored content to short-circuit

OR 

make another channel that does proper niche tech conent with the 2016 style back, you have the capital to do this!

I just want to end this saying I'm not a hatter or someone who is salty, I just see a lot of potential wasted... well maybe that is me being salty? idk

How many linus videos does it take to upgrade anything?
A. one for each sponsor, each for every custom cable :D

Edited by zephyrus_001
corrected spelling errors in title, sorry I'm bad at typing

MAIN PC:

CPU R7 2700X    Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon   RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4    GPU ZOTAC RTX 2080 AMP  

Storage Kingston 250GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 2TB    PSU Corsair RM RM1000x    Cooling AMD Wrait Max RGB(stock)

OS Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit || Manjaro Linux [GNOME 3]

LAPTOP: Assus FX505DY

CPU AMD Ryzen 3550H  RAM 8GB  GPU AMD Vega-Integrated/RX560X

Storage 500GB nvme+1TB HDD

OS Arch [GNOME]|| popOS [GNOME]

Shortcircuit is a channel for them to do stuff that they normally don't do on their main channel. Stuff like unboxings, talking about products that wouldn't've been on the main channel, etc.

2 minutes ago, zephyrus_001 said:

move all sponsored content to short-circuit

I don't think that's feasible.

4 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Shortcircuit is a channel for them to do stuff that they normally don't do on their main channel. Stuff like unboxings, talking about products that wouldn't've been on the main channel, etc.

I don't think that's feasible.

Short-circuit has hands on with sponsored content, its basically all the hand-on videos that LTT used to do before (maingear PC, laptop hands-on, etc), they just dump that on the new channel.

I expected that since they are going to dump low quality stuff there the main channels quality would increase? but no, some of the main channel videos sound like a stretched 10+ minute short-circuit video (specailly sponsored conent vids..)

I just don't want this to turn into another unbox therapy type channel or normie hype channel. There's already MKBHD, mr.whoosetheboss, mr.Mobile, Tech Chap, Android Authority, Android Central, etc.

this is strong specially with reviews! I feel that linus now goes with what is expected from the consumers rather than what he feels, we watch his videos for his personal opinions after testing and using devices, or even the writters opinion. If the writters opinion is swayed by influence from the internet, I think I'm better off listening to the best buy rep.

MAIN PC:

CPU R7 2700X    Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon   RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4    GPU ZOTAC RTX 2080 AMP  

Storage Kingston 250GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 2TB    PSU Corsair RM RM1000x    Cooling AMD Wrait Max RGB(stock)

OS Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit || Manjaro Linux [GNOME 3]

LAPTOP: Assus FX505DY

CPU AMD Ryzen 3550H  RAM 8GB  GPU AMD Vega-Integrated/RX560X

Storage 500GB nvme+1TB HDD

OS Arch [GNOME]|| popOS [GNOME]

The purpose of SC is to allow making smaller (in content), less in depth videos without tanking the main channel. 

Haven't seen the quality drop on the main channel, which is the goal. Reviews haven't changed that I can see.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

17 minutes ago, zephyrus_001 said:

I feel that linus now goes with what is expected from the consumers rather than what he feels

Linus goes with what he thinks will make the most money. It's time to accept that. It was a disappointing realization, but it's not a secret. LMG is strictly a business. That's not an evil thing, I'm not condemning it, but it's not what a lot of us thought when we first joined.  We all have biases that we can't see, and that includes Linus. Despite the countless complaints on here over the past few years I don't think he actually realizes how much things have changed.

I still watch WAN Show because he's far more genuine there, but really the only solution is to unsubscribe from the channels and find alternatives. I went to Gamers Nexus. It's more technical to the point where I rarely understand the finer points, but I trust Steve and the writers there far more.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440