My Radeon RX 480 is beginning to show its age.

As my title states I have an RX 480 (bought when they were first released) and it is being to show some slowness (and 100% gpu usage) during game play.  I do not plan on upgrading any other component at this time.  I have a Del SE 2717H/HX monitor.  It can do 1920x1080 at 75hz.  I want to stay with AMD.  The rest of my system is: Corsair Obsidian Series 250D (CC-9011047-WW) Black Brushed Aluminum and Steel Mini-ITX Computer Case ATX,  ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT LGA 1151 Intel Z170 Intel USB 3.1 U.2 Mini ITX Intel Gaming MotherboardIntel Core i7-6700 Skylake Quad-Core 3.4 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80662I76700 G.SKILL Trident Z RGB (For AMD) 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)Cooler Master GM Series G750M - Compact 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Modular PSU, Samsung 860 QVO SSD 2TB.

Bottom line I would like to consider the best video card that will not be wasting money on features that I can not use on the monitor I have.  - LTC_Eddy

i mean to be honest you depending on what settings you are gmaing on(high medium or low), rx580 is a good gpu.

What games are you playing? I also have an RX 480 and haven't had any performance issues in games at High so look into cleaning case and GPU first. Of course if you've already done this my previous question stands, what games are you playing?

~~The Rig~~

||   CPU: Ryzen 5 1500x   ||   CPU COOLER: Stock Wraith Spire   ||   Mobo: MSI Tomahawk B350   ||   Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 (3000mHz)   ||   SSD: Inland 120gb (Bootdrive)   ||   HDD(s): Seagate 1tb/WD Green 1tb   ||   GPU: Radeon 480 (reference design)  ||   Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite  ||   PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2   ||

I am in the USA.  I am not too concerned with budget.  I would like to get the highest settings on games.  Play at 1080p (I do not think my monitor is rated for 1440p or 4K).  It would be easy to just by the best AMD is now making but I assume that if I do I probably will be wasting money because my monitor simply would not capable to display all the bells and whistles of the best card that exists.  

Currently having problems with Fallout 76.  It is maxing out my graphics.  The Radeon software states that I am not meeting the minimal performance

Fallout 76.JPG

3 minutes ago, LTC_Eddy said:

(I do not think my monitor is rated for 1440p or 4K).  

You can find out. Go to settings, system, display, change resolution. 

2 minutes ago, LTC_Eddy said:

Currently having problems with Fallout 76.  It is maxing out my graphics.  The Radeon software states that I am not meeting the minimal performance

That's weird, according to steam it meets minimum/rec. specs so it should be fine. Again, check that the card isn't clogged with dust but that's all I can really tell you, I'm not super good at GPU reccs.

~~The Rig~~

||   CPU: Ryzen 5 1500x   ||   CPU COOLER: Stock Wraith Spire   ||   Mobo: MSI Tomahawk B350   ||   Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 (3000mHz)   ||   SSD: Inland 120gb (Bootdrive)   ||   HDD(s): Seagate 1tb/WD Green 1tb   ||   GPU: Radeon 480 (reference design)  ||   Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite  ||   PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2   ||

I just booted up the game again and made a snip of the task manager.  As you can see the GPU usage is already at 97%

Taskmanager.JPG

Top resolution on the monitor is 1920x1080.  I have cleaned out the card (but not very recently).  I do keep good maintenance.  The card is now 4 years old and I would like to replace it.  I plan on passing on to the computer my wife uses (she could really use a GPU upgrade).  So does anyone have advice on the newest AMD GPUs?

3 minutes ago, LTC_Eddy said:

Top resolution on the monitor is 1920x1080.  I have cleaned out the card (but not very recently).  I do keep good maintenance.  The card is now 4 years old and I would like to replace it.  I plan on passing on to the computer my wife uses (she could really use a GPU upgrade).  So does anyone have advice on the newest AMD GPUs?

rx 580

Upgrading from rx 480 to rx 580 is probably not worth it.  Rx 5600 xt or rx 5700 would probably be a good choice ... The most powerful amd gpu right now is the rx5700xt.  If I were you I would wait for the new gpu to come out and see what they offer.  Also personnaly i would go sapphire if you get one. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

2 hours ago, LTC_Eddy said:

I just booted up the game again and made a snip of the task manager.  As you can see the GPU usage is already at 97%

Taskmanager.JPG

That's normal. I'd have it at 99% with a 2080ti. Enhanced sync would render more than 60fps and replace unused frames. 

nothing without DP 2.0 is worth it.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

If you upgrade your GPU I’m sure your 6700 non K is gonna give it some trouble

9 hours ago, johnsoner13 said:

If you upgrade your GPU I’m sure your 6700 non K is gonna give it some trouble

What limitations would by i7 6700 bring to the mix?

12 hours ago, Dr0y said:

Upgrading from rx 480 to rx 580 is probably not worth it.  Rx 5600 xt or rx 5700 would probably be a good choice ... The most powerful amd gpu right now is the rx5700xt.  If I were you I would wait for the new gpu to come out and see what they offer.  Also personnaly i would go sapphire if you get one. 

I was looking at the RX 5600 and 5700 series GPUs.  Thanks for the advice.

It depend of which game you're playing as every game will have a different use ... you still have a 4 core 8 thread so it's probably still able to give good performances for some time.  And even if you have a bit of bottleneck is some titles I don't think it's that bad.   Lot of people seems to be overreacting with bottleneck as if it was a question of life and death.  I know it suck to pay for a gpu and not have all it's performance cause of the cpu limitation but in that situation you can play at ultra setting and also enable virtual super resolution.   I'm pretty sure that the I7 6700 will be fine even paired with an rx 5700 xt. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD