Upgrading from a disappointing Dell 2716

NickTheMajin

I’m currently using a Dell 2716 1440p/144hz/TN monitor and I’m finding myself not wanting to play games on it anymore. It’s wonderful for Overwatch because of how smooth it is but the actual color is poor. Completely washed out with terrible black levels. 

I’m looking at the new monitors floating around today. Ideally I want a monitor sized oled but we are probably still a ways off from that. 

How are the LG ultra gear monitors? I’ve been looking at them, the Acer predators and the new Samsung odyssey monitors. The problem is that no one seems to agree on what’s good or bad. Are these enough of an improvement on the Dell tn panel I have? 

Have we gotten any closer to TV  tech? I usually game on a 65in oled but I’d love a full array local dimming monitor with actual HDR but it doesn’t seem like that really exists. 

Have you really tinkered with the settings on that monitor? 
I have the viotek gft27db which I believe is the same panel and I have no complaints with it after dialing it in. Stock the picture was horrible but a few trips then the menu on different content I got it looking good 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

2 minutes ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

Have you really tinkered with the settings on that monitor? 
I have the viotek gft27db which I believe is the same panel and I have no complaints with it after dialing it in. Stock the picture was horrible but a few trips then the menu on different content I got it looking good 

Yeah, I've copied the settings from a few poeple that claimed to have dialed it in correctly. The profiles I copied just ramped up the saturation and contrast and made everything look artifical. 

Have you messed with the settings to get it where you like it? Those color profiles sometimes go a bit too far and over saturate colors. 

It took me a little while to get mine dialed in. It would be fine for one game but not for others. I spent a little chunk of time getting it to where I like it 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x